Evan Lysacek will not compete this season | Page 2 | Golden Skate

Evan Lysacek will not compete this season

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
I do feel sorry for Evan but in some ways I hope it is a relief knowing one way or another and now he can move on- he has so many awesome opportunities with an OGM.

lavender

Record Breaker
I think he gave it 120 but his body wasn't having it. I'm not even a fan but I know he tried his best but I'm glad he listened to his body. His body hasn't been responding for some time now.

Kelly

On the Ice
I like he said, "the proudest moments of my life have been representing the United States in the last two Winter Olympics". I thought he would have said winning the OGM.

Icey

Record Breaker
You can't train at his age the way you did when you were younger. He seems to finally realize that, but it is too late as far as the Olympics go. It seems amazing though that Frank and others, including his doctors, could not make him understand that before injuries started occurring . I guess it was too ingrained in his personality.

Bluebonnet

Record Breaker
Well, not surprised. It's better this way. He has finally accepted the fact that his body is no longer capable of handling the high level trainings anymore. What is his plan for the future?

Jaana

Record Breaker
Country
Finland
I don´t think that anyone is really surprised of the news, especially as we have read about Lysacek´s injuries. Bad luck for him, but one has to do what the doctor says... Besides, he can be very proud of his skating achievements, he has won every major title and also his freeskate at Torino Olympics was impressive.

I will miss his skating at the Olympics!!!

LRK

Record Breaker
Excerpt from US Figure Skating's official announcement (emphasis added):

INJURY ENDS LYSACEK'S GOAL OF DEFENDING OLYMPIC TITLE IN SOCHI

(12/10/13) - Evan Lysacek, the reigning Olympic champion, announced today that a hip injury will prevent him from defending his title at the 2014 Olympic Winter Games in Sochi, Russia. Lysacek, 28, tore the labrum in his left hip in August. Despite aggressive treatment and physical therapy, the injury became more painful in the past month. Heeding his physician's advice that he is at risk of permanent damage, Lysacek will refrain from skating until the injury is completely healed, which could be several months.

"Words cannot describe how disappointed I am to not be able to compete in Sochi," Lysacek said. "The proudest moments of my life have been representing the United States in the last two Winter Olympics. I have suffered numerous injuries over the course of my skating career and they are some of the hardest things an athlete has to overcome. While none of my past injuries have sidelined me quite like this one, I remain determined to regain my health and skate again
."

http://www.usfsa.org/Story.asp?id=49799&type=media

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

ETA:

@JohnnyGWeir
Very proud of a great champion, @EvanLysacek and his graceful bow-out of the Sochi Olympics this morning on @TODAYshow.
5:39 AM - 10 Dec 13
https://twitter.com/JohnnyGWeir/status/410403395204571136

Thank you for all the info you are sharing, golden411! It's very much appreciated, really. What Evan said about injuries - "they are some of the hardest things an athlete has to overcome" - really reminded me of what Plushy said in one of those Eurosport interviews: "If you have a dream and if you have a idea, why you doing this, it's not hard. Hard is one thing - one point - when you surgery, when you injury. That's hard." Again, I hope the best for Evan, and that he can achieve his goal of taking the ice again. It doesn't really matter if he is what we would deem "successful" or not; the most important thing is for himself and what he wants to achieve. So, good luck, Evan!

I suppose this moment was inevitable, but it's still too bad, and I sympathize with Evan. He did his job in 2010, though, and that's not something that time or injury can take away.

kp1231

Spectator
I personally think that this was the best for Evan, he could not have competed with all the new and young talent, and he would have had a very hard time in socchi. I wish he would have retired after he won the last olympics, because honestly i cannot see him coming anywhere near Chan or Hanyu

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
He's not retiring? Now I am really worried about him. I can see this as a problem dragging on and on...come on Evan, don't wreck yourself. You got the dream once.

wordsworthgirl

Medalist
Evan was fully committed and gave it everything he had. Evan recovered from the surgery that he had in late November 2012. Unfortunately, he was not able to overcome the recent injuries in time to compete this season. Suffering an injury while training, and not being able to recover in time to compete, does not equate to not being fully committed and not giving full effort.

100 % correct. Those of you taking swipes at Evan, I truly think you're misguided. I know people who work at his rink and/or with Frank Carroll and they confirm that he has been training and training. Anyone who doubts his commitment and desire to go to the Olympics is being unfair. Evan may have his flaws (as a skater and as a person) but his dedication to training is unparalleled. and if you watched him on the Today Show today, he was obviously devastated and couldn't hold back tears at one point.

wordsworthgirl

Medalist
I like he said, "the proudest moments of my life have been representing the United States in the last two Winter Olympics". I thought he would have said winning the OGM.

Me too! He came across very well in this interview. I hope that it disarms some of the in my mind unfair criticisms of him personally. Evan is nothing if not committed to training and skating. In fact, it's his *excessive* training over the years that has caused his body to break down repeatedly in the last few years.

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
I know it's a big joke, and I scoffed all season - but I really do think Evan had himself fooled thinking he could make it happen. He seemed genuinely upset on the Today Show this morning - like it's finally hit him. He has never been that good of an actor.

And I have to chuckle that folks (again, including me) think his "known" status isn't that great, but it made the local news (radio, papers, etc) and that never happens up here... we can't even get info on the couple of Alaskan skaters that have "made it big".

Tinymavy15

Sinnerman for the win
Record Breaker
I'm really shocked. I thought for sure he would wait until the day before Nationals to announce this.

He practically did. He hasn't been invited to nationals, he still needs to prove a minimum TES score (already to late to skate through regionals, sectionals). Today was the last day to enter that final qualifying event so now he has no bye to Nationals and thus the Olympics.
Sad :((

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
He practically did. He hasn't been invited to nationals, he still needs to prove a minimum TES score (already to late to skate through regionals, sectionals). Today was the last day to enter that final qualifying event so now he has no bye to Nationals and thus the Olympics.

I'm betting the USFSA knew he wasn't going to make it after he had his final consult with his doctors, but that they needed to make the PR wheel turn the way they wanted it to. It's a bum deal for Evan... I feel for him.

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker

Evan had a bye to the nationals because he was a reigning Olympic medalist, just like Sasha did when she did nationals in 2010. The requirement to meet TES before nationals was a separate requirement. He could have skated at Nationals, he just wouldn't be able to go to the Olympics.

ice coverage

Record Breaker
I wish there would be a video of it online, but I'm going to assume it will be geoblocked as usual. I hate to impose, but if someone could perhaps "report" on what was said for those of us unable to watch it... ? I for one would be very grateful.

The Today show's closed-captioning transcript (as well as the video itself) is available here for LRK and anyone else for whom the video is geoblocked:
http://www.today.com/video/today/53788721?lite#53788721 (scroll down and click on the transcript tab)​

Of course, the CC transcript is far from perfect, but it's better than nothing for those who are really interested.

(The video link in this post is different from the one I offered earlier in the thread.)

demarinis5

Gold for the Winter Prince!
Record Breaker
So sorry to hear about Evan's injury. Wishing him a full recovery.