Choctaw for someone with limited turn out? | Golden Skate

Choctaw for someone with limited turn out?

Xstatic

Rinkside
I have a very limited turn out, I can't even barely do an inside spread-eagle, I believe I can turn out for about 110-120 degrees and that's it... I notice that the choctaw is a very difficult turn especially the forward inside choctaw. For some reason, I don't think it has anything to do with turn out but hip rotation. Can you please explain to me the technique on how to do a choctaw correctly?

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
Isn't that what you're paying your coach for?

I recommend ballet lessons. It will help you learn how to engage and hold your turnout. It won't increase it, but it will help you use it.

backspin

On the Ice
I have a very limited turn out, I can't even barely do an inside spread-eagle, I believe I can turn out for about 110-120 degrees and that's it... I notice that the choctaw is a very difficult turn especially the forward inside choctaw. For some reason, I don't think it has anything to do with turn out but hip rotation. Can you please explain to me the technique on how to do a choctaw correctly?

To do that choctaw well w/ correct technique, there are a lot of things at play. Not only knee bend, but correct usage of the skating knee. Shoulders, hips, & free foot all play important roles. Ask your coach if you're ready to start trying them & ask for a lesson on them.

figure_skater_72

Rinkside
Practise your spread eagle off ice as well as on ice. This can help with your hip turnout for your choctaw. What I like to do is do a spread eagle against the barrier. If your hip turnout isn't great, then I would say start with the forward outside or backward outside choctaws. They're probably slightly easier for someone with a limited turn out. Remember, hip turn out is something you can work towards!

Also, what are your mowhawks like? If you struggle, then try making them perfect. Then you can start putting in the different edges needed for a choctaw. Start off slowly as well, so you can build up your confidence, and check. Hope I helped!

mskater93

Record Breaker
If a person has limited external hip rotation, spread eagles are not good things to work on unless doing so with a coach. A lot of people try and do them by turning out at the knees rather than the hips.

Take a hip opener yoga session and really continue on with those same poses.