Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast

Thread: Do we overrate skaters of past eras?

Do we overrate skaters of past eras?

So David at TSL got himself a sharp pointy stick and started poking at the Mao-YuNa rivalry. Good fun was had by all, unless you are a fan of either lady. One of the things he said I take great exception to: Do either of them skate programs that we will rewatch as many times as Dante’s Prayer or anything by Janet Lynn? His answer was no.

Does anyone agree with that statement/sentiment and does anyone REALLY believe something like Dance Macabre can't be compared to anything by Janet Lynn? I have watched a lot of these ladies from the past and I got to tell you, they may have been something to behold in their day but are almost unwatchable now. What essentially David is saying however is that skaters like Janet Lynn's performances are timeless and those from Mao and YuNa's are ephemeral; have a limited shelf life. I get that there should be respect for the ladies who have paved the way for the ladies of today and I get how everyone hates COP but YuNa and Mao and half the skaters in the junior circuit could skate circles around any of the ladies from those years. By the way I have watched some of Janet's performances; she may have been a trailblazer but from my vantage point it felt like homework to me. On the other hand I have lost count how many times I have watched Dance Macabre.

I don't think skaters from the older eras are revered enough. Unfortunately, most of them are forgotten. Underrating past skaters is the actual problem. While the current COP skaters perform more difficulty and complexity as required to win, they aren't that many deeply artistic skaters around. No one compares to Lynn. She was an angel on ice.

I don't know about Janet Lynn, but the performances of Michelle Kwan will live forever, long after all these whippersnappers out there now have turned to dust.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by RABID View Post
    So David at TSL got himself a sharp pointy stick and started poking at the Mao-YuNa rivalry. Good fun was had by all, unless you are a fan of either lady. One of the things he said I take great exception to: Do either of them skate programs that we will rewatch as many times as Dante’s Prayer or anything by Janet Lynn? His answer was no.

Does anyone agree with that statement/sentiment and does anyone REALLY believe something like Dance Macabre can't be compared to anything by Janet Lynn? I have watched a lot of these ladies from the past and I got to tell you, they may have been something to behold in their day but are almost unwatchable now. What essentially David is saying however is that skaters like Janet Lynn's performances are timeless and those from Mao and YuNa's are ephemeral; have a limited shelf life. I get that there should be respect for the ladies who have paved the way for the ladies of today and I get how everyone hates COP but YuNa and Mao and half the skaters in the junior circuit could skate circles around any of the ladies from those years. By the way I have watched some of Janet's performances; she may have been a trailblazer but from my vantage point it felt like homework to me. On the other hand I have lost count how many times I have watched Dance Macabre.
    Should we just poo poo Roger Bannister's four minute mile because that time now would put you in say 234th place? Context is everything.

Quote Originally Posted by BlackPack View Post
    No one compares to Lynn.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kbO1jsBWeFY

Custom Title
    ...While I respect the past, enjoy TheSkatingLessons, just wanna let you know that TSL is kinda passive aggressive against, but also courteous enough to praise out loud by trying, new fandoms. Not really a good example.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by RABID View Post

I have watched many of Janet Lynn's performances countless numbers of times. I have watched most of Yu Na's performances (and Mao's) once. For pure skating skills and her ethereal quality, Janet Lynn is without peer.

Banned
    Les Miserables. Gershwin. Danse Macabre. Scheherezade. Bond. These are all iconic, timeless performances that are still celebrated and watched today. Yuna may give us more this year, don't count her out.

Custom Title
    Fortunately, we can have it all and don't have to choose. I do think that some modern skaters such as YuNa, Mao, and Daisuke are creating lasting works. At the same time, I can go back and rewatch John Curry, Janet Lynn, or Michelle any time and be astounded by the beauty of their skating.

It really was a different sport back then, though. The attention to quality of movement and choreographic detail have largely been abandoned in favor of big jumps.

Yuna's Danse Macabre is a classic - unfortunately, I wasn't into any of her other subsequent programs. Dai's Pagliacci/Techno Swan Lake/Blues for Klook. Mao looks pretty but hardly an artist. Yeah, the Mao bots are going to chase me with a machete now.

I think a lot of this depend of the age in which you were really into or invested in figure skating, of course if you clicked with FS because Mao, Yuna, Sasha or whoever, you will remember this skater like the best ever, not only because you will remember they were so wonderful but the good you were feeling in that time. And the advantage of past skaters is that FS was really popular in USA and Canadá back then, so a lot of people remember them with much affection.

Mashimaro on Ice
    Maybe he was just stating his opinion? Janet Lynn is timeless for many reasons. And I personally do feel the praise for Michelle is deserved because I never tire of rewatching her programs. Perhaps, it is more in the technical aspects that skaters of the past tend to be over-praised due to nostalgia for their performances. I think overall COP have improved basic skating skills and technique, since you can't get that far in the sport when you are weak in these areas nowadays. The artistry and charisma of past skaters weren't overrated.

Me personally? Give me Janet Lynn any day. (and no I'm not old enough to have seen her in her day... I was born well after Janet was America's Sweetheart)

Mashimaro on Ice
    Quote Originally Posted by chapis View Post
    I think a lot of this depend of the age in which you were really into or invested in figure skating, of course if you clicked with FS because Mao, Yuna, Sasha or whoever, you will remember this skater like the best ever, not only because you will remember they were so wonderful but the good you were feeling in that time. And the advantage of past skaters is that FS was really popular in USA and Canadá back then, so a lot of people remember them with much affection.
    That's true. I came to love figure skating because of Michelle Kwan. But overall, I find it harder to get excited about new competitive programs in COP, and find myself rewatching old programs much more than new ones. Recent ones I found memorable were Daisuke's TechnoSwan and The Eye. Also I loved Mao's Chopin Ballade and Jupiter exhibitions. I think I have rewatched those two programs as much as Dante's Prayer.

Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast