Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Thread: Do we overrate skaters of past eras?

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by Mathman View Post
    I think the first ten seconds of this video show Madge and Edgar Syers winning the bronze medal in pairs at the 1908 Olympics. Not bad, eh?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vx8y...907B835C2D7F0A
    I'm as into the veneration of historical icons as the next guy...but no.

If you tell me that was truly gorgeous, I'm gonna hunt for a new emoticon capable of doing your remark full justice. Don't make me do it.

Custom Title
    Well, I don't mean that the skaters should wear masks or that someone should write ridiculous scripts for them to act out, like wrestling. But back in the "golden age," most of the skaters had an interesting back story or persona that made people like them (or not) for reasons other than their edges or knee bends. Look how they do it on reality shows. Everyone has some sort of a sob story or some sort of an angle. I don't remember if Nancy flutzed or if Maria Butyrskaya had good posture, but I remember that one had a blind mother and the other was "woman among girls."

I don't know if we have an unusually happy/well adjusted bunch here, or if the coverage in the US is so sparse that we really don't get to know them very well. But they're not "popping" as personalities as they did before, which may not affect the skating or judging, but may affect popularity in the future.

Quote Originally Posted by Poodlepal View Post
    Well, I don't mean that the skaters should wear masks or that someone should write ridiculous scripts for them to act out, like wrestling. But back in the "golden age," most of the skaters had an interesting back story or persona that made people like them (or not) for reasons other than their edges or knee bends. Look how they do it on reality shows. Everyone has some sort of a sob story or some sort of an angle. I don't remember if Nancy flutzed or if Maria Butyrskaya had good posture, but I remember that one had a blind mother and the other was "woman among girls."

I don't know if we have an unusually happy/well adjusted bunch here, or if the coverage in the US is so sparse that we really don't get to know them very well. But they're not "popping" as personalities as they did before, which may not affect the skating or judging, but may affect popularity in the future.
    Well, it helped that skating was on TV way more frequently than it is now. The increased frequency led to more fluff pieces, which led us to believe that we connected with the skaters more on a personal level.

Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8