Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Carolina Kostner out of Nationals due to injury

Custom Title
    Carolina rarely competes at Nationals, so this is not big news. I'm sure she'll be at Euros next month.

So Valentina will be National Champion?

Rejoicing in the land of Kwan kwanatic's Avatar
    The article I read said that it was due to back pain...

Nationals would be a good warmup for her but it's not a necessary competition. I hope she rests and gets ready for a Euros and Sochi. And bring back Bolero!!

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by chuckm View Post
    Carolina rarely competes at Nationals, so this is not big news. I'm sure she'll be at Euros next month.
    she has competed in nine times and WD twice before now(season 2007/2008 and 2011/2012), this is the third time.
    She has won seve titles in 2002/2003,2004/2005,2005/2006,2006/2007,2008/2009,2010/2011,2012/2013 and was second 2003/2004 and 2009/2010
    That doesn't seam rarely in my eyes

She had an injury but competed in China and we saw she was not at the top of her game. Now she has to get well soon so she can be at her best in February (I really hope that)

Tripping on the Podium
    this will give her a chance to either tweak the hell out of scheherazade or raise bolero back from the dead! after her last two unfortunate outings at the olympics, i'm hoping the magic of ravel (and its skating history) will help her to rise to the occasion.

Sorry to hear this. Wishing Carolina a full & speedy recovery so that she can have a satisfying Olympics.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by anthologyz View Post
    this will give her a chance to either tweak the hell out of scheherazade or raise bolero back from the dead! after her last two unfortunate outings at the olympics, i'm hoping the magic of ravel (and its skating history) will help her to rise to the occasion.
    She is in great company with Joubert and Browning with disappointing Olympics.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by anthologyz View Post
    I know people love Bolero but I wasn't a fan of it; you can't really touch it after Torvill and Dean it seems rather sad to even try and Carolina does have a certain elegance but I am not sure bolero is the best music anyways - it can be kind of rather draining and almost from a distance kind of march and rather pedantic. At least for me I am not emotionally charged by the music - something about it sounds rather standoffish or distances or it doesn't reach into your emotional soul. I know how weird - it is so hard to use words sometimes to explain. :(

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by Skater Boy View Post
    I know people love Bolero but I wasn't a fan of it; you can't really touch it after Torvill and Dean it seems rather sad to even try and Carolina does have a certain elegance but I am not sure bolero is the best music anyways - it can be kind of rather draining and almost from a distance kind of march and rather pedantic. At least for me I am not emotionally charged by the music - something about it sounds rather standoffish or distances or it doesn't reach into your emotional soul. I know how weird - it is so hard to use words sometimes to explain. :(
    I have a lot of the same feelings about Bolero. I loved Torvill and Dean's program, of course, but because of their skating, not because of the music itself. The actual music I find rather droning and repetitive. For a "passionate" piece I far prefer the Liebestod from Wagner's Tristan and Isolde, or the balcony scene music from Prokofiev's Romeo and Juliet. The latter piece is probably better for skating because of its pace, though it would have to be extracted to fit the time requirement.

The Prokofiev (okay, this is cheating--this video shows Nureyev and Fonteyn, so how could it be anything but impassioned?):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HtBRN5BXt6o

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2