Thread: Mental/Fear Block - Help Appreciated

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

0 Not allowed!

Mental/Fear Block - Help Appreciated

Hi, so I've been struggling for two years with all-deadly double axel. The thing is, I can't do it off the harness because I have some sort of psychological block. On my second ever attempt, I managed to sprain my ankle, and when I tried it again for the first time six months later I managed to sprain it again (much less severe this time). Since then I've been unable to get the courage to do it off the harness. It's been about a year now since my second sprain. I tape my ankle every time I have a lesson with my coach and do double axels off ice daily (I can land them fully rotated). On the harness, I have gotten so far as to loosen the harness belt to its very loosest setting and can land full double axels without even needing any help. In short, I can do a double axel but as soon as the harness belt comes off it just seems impossible.

If anyone has any suggestions, I would greatly appreciate it. Thanks!

Wicked Yankee Girl dorispulaski's Avatar

0 Not allowed!
    Ree, welcome to Golden Skate! I hope someone has good advice for you.

The land of SnuggleBat and Cuddlepie

0 Not allowed!
    Unhook the belt from the harness, and do the double Axel still with the feeling of the belt around you, but you're not actually attached.

Custom Title

0 Not allowed!
    Does anyone in your area use a pole harness? That might be a good next step.

Bona Fide Member

0 Not allowed!
    Practice them off ice as much as you can. Practice the single axel-loop combo. It was a big mental block for me too but sometimes you just have to go for it. The fact that you can do it with little help from the harness is a great sign.

0 Not allowed!
    We tried unhooking the harness but it doesn't help. I just feel like I can't do it anymore. I haven't tried a pole harness, but my coach does have one. Maybe we will try it.