Mental/Fear Block - Help Appreciated | Golden Skate

Mental/Fear Block - Help Appreciated

Ree

Spectator
Hi, so I've been struggling for two years with all-deadly double axel. The thing is, I can't do it off the harness because I have some sort of psychological block. On my second ever attempt, I managed to sprain my ankle, and when I tried it again for the first time six months later I managed to sprain it again (much less severe this time). Since then I've been unable to get the courage to do it off the harness. It's been about a year now since my second sprain. I tape my ankle every time I have a lesson with my coach and do double axels off ice daily (I can land them fully rotated). On the harness, I have gotten so far as to loosen the harness belt to its very loosest setting and can land full double axels without even needing any help. In short, I can do a double axel but as soon as the harness belt comes off it just seems impossible.

If anyone has any suggestions, I would greatly appreciate it. Thanks!

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
Unhook the belt from the harness, and do the double Axel still with the feeling of the belt around you, but you're not actually attached.

CanadianSkaterGuy

Record Breaker
Practice them off ice as much as you can. Practice the single axel-loop combo. It was a big mental block for me too but sometimes you just have to go for it. The fact that you can do it with little help from the harness is a great sign.

Ree

Spectator
We tried unhooking the harness but it doesn't help. I just feel like I can't do it anymore. I haven't tried a pole harness, but my coach does have one. Maybe we will try it.

If you can afford it and if there is one available where you live, working through it with a cognitive-behavioural psychologist could be a good idea. The fact you got injured twice very understandably created a mental block as you now have an association of something bad happening when you do it. I am not qualified enough to comment in more detail but I would imagine that the work would include visualising performing it in as great detail as possible as well as relaxation exercises like focusing on your breathing in order to reduce tension and take the attention away from negative thoughts. You could probably try some of that on your own as well.

Ree

Spectator
I've tried visualization, but I actually have trouble coming up with an image in my head that's believable. For instance, I see myself doing a double axel the same way I imagine myself riding a unicorn over a rainbow.

I haven't asked about a psychologist... I'm not sure how well the idea would fly with my parents, but I'll try to look into it.