Great/Grizzly Lessons & Practices 4/14 - 4/20 | Golden Skate

Great/Grizzly Lessons & Practices 4/14 - 4/20

C

Cinderella On Ice

Great/Grizzly Lessons & Practices 4/14 - 4/20

A new week of ice skating beckons, so let us know if your lessons and practices this week are wonderful (Great) or not-so-wonderful (Grizzly).

L

Lanechka

Re: Great/Grizzly Lessons & Practices 4/14 - 4/20

Great -- Lesson was fun. We worked on the 1/2 sal (it actually looks like a salchow now; I think I was confusing myself muchly but I'm doing it okay and my arms are right) and spins and spin entries; the entry is really giving me a pain... she had me do it like twenty times. Two back x-overs, step over, turn, spin. Annoyed the heck out of me, but, alas, as I'm not a spinner, gotta work on it more! Worked on spiral positioning--square shoulders, etc... I'm steadier now.

Grizzly -- I had like five hours sleep, school, then skating.. exhausted! I need new skates. I have Jackson Artistes and she says I need Freestyles because I'm a "powerful skater" and a "great jumper," which flattered me... just worried about costs for my poor dad and stepmom. ;) Although when I said this to Dad, Dad was like, "Jeez, you're worried about skates, I'm worried about COLLEGE in two years!"

Y

Yazmeen42skater

Grizzly: Having to go to work after skating yesterday on the most bee-you-tee-ful spring day...

GRRRRREAT!!! Worked more on two foot spin, including swizzle exercises to get the right foot around more. Worked on speed and form with stroking and crossovers. I told my coach I'm doing multiple full runthroughs of my programs (Freestyle is 1 minute and 40, and footwork is a minute) most days, and she told me to skate a lap of stroking, full out with speed after each runthrough to build up stamina. I don't know who's being more competitive here, her or me!!!:rollin: I am having fun though, and my program is already 100% better than it was in March, but it still has a way to go.

I have having so much fun with this--its just great to really work hard and see some improvement. :cool:

S

SkatingFantasy

Grizzly/Great Lessons

Nothing was exactly grizzly this week, I didn't fall and no run-ins with the zamboni! I hope that will be the first and last time that ever happens!:lol:

Yeah I had a good time this week practicing my backspin and loop. It took me about half the lesson to get the feel for the backspin and then I started trying the loop. My coach figured out a good way for me to be able to jump off my toepick since that was basically what was holding me back , everytime I tried to jump off the toe pick while gliding backward, I would feel like I was just scraping off the side of my toe pick and I wasn't getting any type of height or revolution but my coach now has me doing a backspin and then just before the spin slows down I jump off my toe pick that way. So now I am at least getting all the way around but still have to keep my left arm in front and not let it go behind me. My coach says this is a "tall" jump and it is because I find that I can't even do the backspin if I'm looking down at the ice or if I break at the waist, so I have to work on that, but all in all I'm making progress on the loop after practicing it off and on for months! Yaaaaayy!:D

S

starshinexavier

Re: Grizzly/Great Lessons

Great- I landed my first 2 flip ever!!! I've been working on it for about a month and I'm so happy that I landed it!!

Grizzly- I couldn't land more than one. I also fell during a run through of my interpretive as well. I don't usually fall during it, so I was a tinge upset about that.

S

sk8er1964

starshinexavier - that's terrific :D . Congrats on the 2flip!

Great - tried a 2toe for the first time since January. Zero rotation, but even getting up the gumption to try was a big positive step. Didn't hurt, either. Enjoyed just messing around this week, making up moves to the music on the cd, trying new things etc. Nice to have the week off of serious training.

Grizzly - nothing. Still on the emotional high from Adult Nationals!

C

Cinderella On Ice

First, congrats to all of you on the many GREATS already this week! Isn't it wonderful when you're working on something and it actually seems to be coming along?

GREAT: I, too, am high as a kite because this morning I nailed my axels. WOO HOO! When I first started back to skating, I was able to land about 1 out of 15, but they were ugly. I decided I needed to go back to basics and get my form back before worrying about them, so it's been many months that I haven't tried them. At the seminar this weekend, and then at this morning's lessons, we worked on once arounds and then once arounds with "cheated" landings. Then this morning I just went out and did the most gorgeous axel ever. I was a little afraid because I still have the cast on (2 more weeks), but after I took off and heard my coach say "hold it, hold it" I realized I was in a landing position. I looked at her and had to ask her, "Did I do it?" because it seemed so effortless, I thought I'd done a waltz jump instead. She was all jumping up and down and excited. Well, that gave me enough adrenaline to nail all the other jumps and even some of the gold moves. What a great lesson today!

Grizzly: Once you land your axel, ain't nothin' grizzly! :lol:

S

starshinexavier

Thanks sk8er1964! Congrat Cinderella for nailing those axels.

Great-I'm getting more revolutions in my camel spin. I also picked out music for my creative skills exercise that my coach actually likes, and she's letting me choreograph it too. This is a lil off-topic, but I got into University too! :D

Grizzly-Got yelled at for not wanting to participate in some relay races with the younger skaters. My knees and shins ached for most of the session too.

C

Cinderella On Ice

Starshine - good job on that camel. Have you begun working on combo spins yet? Those extra revolutions will come in handy! Sorry about the relays. I've never heard of them--are they to work on speed and stamina? P.S. Congrats on University!

C

Cinderella On Ice

GRRRREAT - landed EIGHT axels at practice today, so yesterday was NOT a fluke! Ya hoo!

S

starshinexavier

Thanks Cinderella! Congrats on the EIGHT axels! They're so much fun to do when they're done right!
I've been doing combo spins for years.(I'm 18 and have been skating for 13 years) I don't spend that much time working on my camels though, so sometimes they're really weird. When I do the camel well in the combo, I get maybe 10-15 revs in my combos spins.
The relays weren't anything to do with stamina/speed/etc. They were bunny hops (or power jumps) down a third of the ice, then backward scullies, then backward hops. If anything they were teaching bad technique because we were told to skate full out. Grr.....at least the seminars are over.
I hope I skate well next week. I start spring skate next Tuesday. I'm hoping I can land more 2 flips, and maybe some 2/2 combos.

C

Cinderella On Ice

Starshinexavier - WOW, that's great progress on the spinning! Lucinda Ruh better watch out (did you hear she recently set a world record for most revolutions for a spin? I think it was in the triple digits!)

Anyway, combos are so much more attractive when the position gets held awhile and you can see the skater continuing their speed. Good for you. Here's hoping some 2/2s are coming your way as well.

S

starshinexavier

HTML Comments are not allowed