Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

Thread: Can patrick chan close the gap on yuzuru hanyu?

Quote Originally Posted by qwertyskates View Post
    If there's no rule or principle, i.e. poor TES does not affect PCS, then you must agree your opinion of PC's PCS isn't based on any either. What applies to PC by judges is similar to what is applied to Machida here, i.e. even if his TES fell by half, i.e. he performed 50% of his technical elements, he is entirely entitled to his full PCS as if he performed fully for his TES. So remember, PC's next falls or botched jumps, i.e. TES failures, including those at the Olympics, should not affect his PCS awarded by judges! No cries of "foul!" when that happens.
    Machida's TES was so low mainly because he Zayaked (i.e. his 3Lz-2T combo wasn't counted at all), not because he performed "half of his technical elements". There is no reason for this kind of error to affect PCS (as opposed to falling, stepping out and other visibly disruptive jump mistakes), so this isn't at all like what Patrick usually does.

Custom Title
    I was surprised that with Machida performing similar to CoR (yes, he landed a 3A+3T in CoR but still did 2 quads and 2 axels), yet his PCS (82.50 CoR vs. 82.30 at GPF) was actually the same. Like, it's almost as though the judges were actually consistent in spite of Machida's home ice advantage... guess they saved all the homecooked PCS for Hanyu and Oda?

Custom Title
    I'm not sure how Hanyu's scores rising from one event to the next proves anything. That's like saying, "He just got a big raise...therefore he must be overpaid." But it proves nothing. The whole point of CoP is that it's supposed to be more objective, and the scores should match the performance on that day. From what I saw, the scores for Hanyu were justified by his performance at GPF and compared to what everyone else did. He was fast, had good flow, huge jumps, lots of transitions. I do think Chan has better skating skills but Hanyu's was still good.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by cheerio2 View Post
    I'm not sure how Hanyu's scores rising from one event to the next proves anything. That's like saying, "He just got a big raise...therefore he must be overpaid." But it proves nothing. The whole point of CoP is that it's supposed to be more objective, and the scores should match the performance on that day. From what I saw, the scores for Hanyu were justified by his performance at GPF and compared to what everyone else did. He was fast, had good flow, huge jumps, lots of transitions. I do think Chan has better skating skills but Hanyu's was still good.
    I agree. Particularly with someone like Hanyu who does a lot of difficult transitions into and out of elements, when he misses jumps it is sometimes because he is off balance on the take-offs, so that could indicate lower quality of the transitional elements when he has a weak performance. When he is on balance his skating is like no one else.

Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9