Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4
Results 46 to 58 of 58

Thread: Are you excited for the Team event?

  1. #46
    Tripping on the Podium
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    72
    I think it is fantastic. Think about how the team event is so hyped in gymnastics? Also....anything that gives our sport more attention right now is good, especially American medals.

  2. #47
    I think if they are going to have a team event, then they need to allow all countries to have skaters in each of the 4 disciplines regardless of if they qualified in the individual events or not. So Japan would get to send a team to compete in Dance for the team event, but since a dance team did not qualify for the individual event then that Dance team would compete ONLY in the team event.

    It just doesn't make sense to me to allow a country to compete with skaters in only 3 of the disciplines. That would be like a gymnastics team not competing on one of the apparatus...

  3. #48
    On the Ice
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Posts
    25
    BravesSkateFan, they are allowed to bring in one skater/couple that didn't qualify. Japan's pair and Britain's man are only competing in the team event. (Japan's dance team qualified at Nebelhorn.)

  4. #49
    Currently frozen as a popsicle Chemistry66's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Somewhere in the Chemistry Building
    Posts
    1,366
    Quote Originally Posted by guenever View Post
    BravesSkateFan, they are allowed to bring in one skater/couple that didn't qualify. Japan's pair and Britain's man are only competing in the team event. (Japan's dance team qualified at Nebelhorn.)
    Japan's pair is going to compete in the regular event barring a last minute turnaround by Estonia on Alexandr Zaboev's citizenship. Takahashi/Kihara were the first alternates via Nebelhorn placements, so they get the vacated spot.

  5. #50
    Quote Originally Posted by guenever View Post
    BravesSkateFan, they are allowed to bring in one skater/couple that didn't qualify. Japan's pair and Britain's man are only competing in the team event. (Japan's dance team qualified at Nebelhorn.)
    I thought I had read that some countries would only be fielding a team in 3 of the 4 discipline. Perhaps I misread it.

  6. #51
    Currently frozen as a popsicle Chemistry66's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Somewhere in the Chemistry Building
    Posts
    1,366
    Quote Originally Posted by BravesSkateFan View Post
    I thought I had read that some countries would only be fielding a team in 3 of the 4 discipline. Perhaps I misread it.
    Countries must participate in 3 of the 4 disciplines to participate in the team event, BUT are allowed to add an additional skater/couple as per the rules just for the team event through the Additional Athletes Quota. I believe the assumption is that countries that only qualified 2 disciplines are therefore still eligible to the team event if they can add an additional athlete for the requisite 3 disciplines.

    Rules are here http://isu.sportcentric.net/db//files/serve.php?id=4263

  7. #52
    More or less: more is more sequinsgalore's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Denmark
    Posts
    3,702
    It's a figure skating competition, of course I'm excited

    Sure, there are "risks" that some will skate better at the team event than at the individuel comp, but that can't really be controlled.

    I just hope that the team I feel skated overall best will take the gold - placement scores can be tricky

  8. #53
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    433
    It seems to me VERY ARTEFICIAL, and was created to try to get a chance to Russia.
    In order to this even the rules of the previous World Team Championships has been changed, when they realized Russia cannot win if there are 2 males and 2 females skaters count with no contender exists in men and the girls are great but very incosistent one's.

    It smells to me......

    It also could strenghten the national bias in the system, which even can affect the individual result ( I give your athlete a bit more point in the individual, if you help mine in the team event etc.......)

  9. #54
    Quote Originally Posted by Chemistry66 View Post
    Countries must participate in 3 of the 4 disciplines to participate in the team event, BUT are allowed to add an additional skater/couple as per the rules just for the team event through the Additional Athletes Quota. I believe the assumption is that countries that only qualified 2 disciplines are therefore still eligible to the team event if they can add an additional athlete for the requisite 3 disciplines.

    Rules are here http://isu.sportcentric.net/db//files/serve.php?id=4263
    Thanks for the link. I still think they should be required to field a team in all 4 disciplines. It just doesn't make sense to me to only compete in part of the event.

    I think this could also be a boon for skating in the future becuase a skater whose country is low ranked in a certain discipline will have that goal of making the Olympic team event, and that exposure may inspire others in that country to skate.

  10. #55
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Posts
    5,353
    Quote Originally Posted by bigdeal View Post
    It smells to me......

    It also could strenghten the national bias in the system, which even can affect the individual result ( I give your athlete a bit more point in the individual, if you help mine in the team event etc.......)
    Quote Originally Posted by BravesSkateFan View Post
    I think this could also be a boon for skating in the future becuase a skater whose country is low ranked in a certain discipline will have that goal of making the Olympic team event, and that exposure may inspire others in that country to skate.
    Such contrast in perspectives, attitudes and outlooks.

    Moi, I think I prefer the sunny side of the street with BraveSkateFan and sequinsgalore.

  11. #56
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Posts
    2,322
    Quote Originally Posted by bigdeal View Post
    It seems to me VERY ARTEFICIAL, and was created to try to get a chance to Russia.
    In order to this even the rules of the previous World Team Championships has been changed, when they realized Russia cannot win if there are 2 males and 2 females skaters count with no contender exists in men and the girls are great but very incosistent one's.

    It smells to me......
    Um, you DO realise that the WTT was created by JAPAN in the format that it was because Japan knew they didn't stand a chance unless they overbalanced the men and ladies to hide their lack of dance/pair quality, right?


    Anyway I think the team event is pointless, just more medals for the big powerhouses and a few little counties for decoration.

  12. #57
    Custom Title Sasha'sSpins's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Posts
    747
    Not yet. Also, as it's being held before the singles/pairs/ice dance events I'm concerned about skaters giving their best/hitting their peak in the Team effort and then losing it for their respective individual disciplines. My greatest concern is Heaven-forbid injury which would kill an athlete's chances at individual competitive glory.

  13. #58
    Sometimes bad skating happens to good people... LiamForeman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Bible Belt
    Posts
    390
    I am not excited at all about it. I think every country that participates should field all four disciplines. Otherwise, what's the point? You'll never be close to competitive. It's like taking an exam and starting at a 75%.

    I like the idea of giving athletes more of a chance of winning an Olympic medal. How can that be a bad thing?

    I'm not concerned about a skater giving a stellar performance in Team and then blowing the individual. Hello? Figure skaters are athletes not porcelain breakable dolls. Gymnasts have been doing this forever, and no one that I've ever heard ever said "I really hope Shannon Miller doesn't compete in the team event, it might hurt her chances in the all-around". And as for getting injured, well, you can get injured during a run-through practice. And it's not THAT much of a bad thing. What was the name of that twerpy gymnast who became the hero of the Olympics by landing the vault during the team event on one foot? Kerri Shrub? I'm sure she was upset she couldn't compete in the AA, but she had her moment of Olympic glory, which she might not have had if there was not team event.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •