Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Are you excited for the Team event?

On the Ice
    I think it would have made more sense to make synchro an Olympic event instead of making up a whole new thing with athletes that are already in the Games-- but that said, as a Canadian, i can't deny i'm excited about my team's chances.

re: S/S, they've been saying for a while now that they have no interest in competing in the team event.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by guenever View Post
    I think it would have made more sense to make synchro an Olympic event instead of making up a whole new thing with athletes that are already in the Games...
    Like women's hockey, synchro is dominated by the same four countries. Considering the IOC has threatened to remove women's hockey from the Olympics if it doesn't become somewhat more equalized, it seems unlikely they would add another sport with the same issues.

Custom Title
    Unless the USA wins the team I don't see NBC showing much of the event. It will probably just be a highlight show.

Celebrating the Excellence of #VirtueMoir golden411's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by flying camel View Post
    Unless the USA wins the team I don't see NBC showing much of the event. It will probably just be a highlight show.
    On the contrary, NBC already has been promoting that its first night of Olympic coverage will air on Thursday -- in advance of the opening ceremony on Friday -- in order to show team skating, as well as whatever other sport(s) has/have competition on Thursday. [Off the top of my head, I don't remember the other Thursday sports.]

On Thursday, only ten pairs SPs and ten men's SPs will be skated, so I bet that NBC will show a high proportion of the totality.
    I'm sure that the American man who skates the SP will get a lot of attention from NBC, as will the Japanese man + Chan, Plushenko, and Han Yan -- if they skate in the team SP.
    Also (to a lesser extent, perhaps), the pairs from the U.S., China, and Canada + possibly Russia and Germany, depending on who they are.

And on that first Thursday night, I expect NBC to preview much of the Olympic figure skating to come -- including the big names in the competitions for individuals, such as Yuna Kim. It's the perfect opportunity to show some fluff that will get viewers interested in the skaters to be seen in the coming days.

Quote Originally Posted by centerpt1 View Post
    ... I'd like to see more athletes skate ...for example one lady does SP another LP-and to be able to switch out athletes in all the disciplines. ...
    Sixty skaters will compete in the team SPs/SD. Up to twenty "new" skaters can compete in the team FSs/FD.
    On top of those possible twenty, a maximum of only ten additional skaters would be involved if the rules allowed "new" entries in all four disciplines for the FSs/FD.

At least eighteen skaters will earn team medals.

Quote Originally Posted by RABID View Post
    ... Apologies if the topic has been hashed about before.
    LOL, no worries, Rabid. We have had quite a few previous threads on this topic -- but Mathman and others (incl. me) always are game for further discussion.

Rinkside
    I am not excited about the team event, and I have a very good reason:
    Have you seen the judges' information? , they decided in advance, without a further draw, who will be the judges in the team event!
    Why? Is this competiton less important than the regular one?
    Is it because it starts first?
    IMO, it is because the Olympics are in Russia, and Russia is Russia is Russia...
    They have amazing skaters, but also "protection", just in case...

Columnist
    Quote Originally Posted by rvi5 View Post
    Like women's hockey, synchro is dominated by the same four countries. Considering the ISU has threatened to remove women's hockey from the Olympics if it doesn't become somewhat more equalized, it seems unlikely they would add another sport with the same issues.
    Well if this would matter, then Basketball or Ice Hockey would be removed from Olympics already. Besides one little accident the US Basketball team has won every Basketball competition of the past years, the women Ice hockey final is dominated by the US and Canada and even at FS we have those dominating forces at the Ladies with Yuna Kim or S/S - V/T at the pairs.

Yes the dominance is a different one, but I dont know - I dont think that kicking out sports just because someone is very good is the answer to be honest.

As for the team competition,

it just suffers from the same problems that the whole FIS team competition does. The top athletes dont compete, as they are scared to be injured and if they compete then only if the win is like 99% sure.

That makes the whole team thought a bit rusty I think, rusty because it doesnt really present the best athletes but those that are good enough to compete and willing to do so.

In my opinion there should be a seperate team rating, so that if you have a winning athlete in your Ladies competition then you get 100 points, if you have someone come second then 75 etc.

Custom Title
    If gymnastics gets to have a "team" event, and I use that term loosely, then why shouldn't figure skating get to have one too?

Maybe they'll make the selection procedure so wrenching and agonizing that the figure skaters will sob all together on national television when the team is announced. Makes for good TV.

On the Ice
    Quote Originally Posted by Alex D View Post
    Well if this would matter, then Basketball or Ice Hockey would be removed from Olympics already. Besides one little accident the US Basketball team has won every Basketball competition of the past years, the women Ice hockey final is dominated by the US and Canada and even at FS we have those dominating forces at the Ladies with Yuna Kim or S/S - V/T at the pairs.

Yes the dominance is a different one, but I dont know - I dont think that kicking out sports just because someone is very good is the answer to be honest.

As for the team competition,

it just suffers from the same problems that the whole FIS team competition does. The top athletes dont compete, as they are scared to be injured and if they compete then only if the win is like 99% sure.

That makes the whole team thought a bit rusty I think, rusty because it doesnt really present the best athletes but those that are good enough to compete and willing to do so.

In my opinion there should be a seperate team rating, so that if you have a winning athlete in your Ladies competition then you get 100 points, if you have someone come second then 75 etc.
    I must disagree with that Canada and US have dominated the ice hockey finals....
    In the last 10 Olympics Canada have won 2x and been silver medalists 2x, US won 1x & silver 2x. Total medals Can 4, US 3, Russia (+ SU) 6 medals, Sweden 5, Finland 5, Check Reb (+TCH) 5, West Germany 1. So there's quite a few medalists there...

On the Ice
    Ahh and I just realized it's women u were talking about--- Sorry!

Welcome, Weir1. Thanks for joining us.

On the Ice
    Essentially only Canada, USA, and Russia have a real chance at the team medals, so if synchro has four countries that's more balanced...

Outdated Old Dinosaur
    I'm very excited for the Team Event!

It gives our sport even more time in the limelight! It provides skaters with a chance for more medals... I think it's likely that we'll see the first double gold medalist from a single Olympics! I think that is exciting!

It's not the first time that figure skating has undergone a "makeover" to make it more fan-friendly... the addition of the short program in the 70's... the elimination of figures in the 90's. The Olympics is when new fans are drawn to the sport, and I hope the team event whets the appetite for more skating.

My only regret is that we can't have an "international" team, comprised of the best skaters from non-qualifying countries. We could have a team of Kim, Ten, and some dance and pair team... you'll have to help me here. Who are the highest dance and pairs teams from non-qualifying countries?

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by Alex D View Post
    ...I dont think that kicking out sports just because someone is very good is the answer to be honest...
    Essentially only Canada, USA, and Russia have a real chance at the team medals, so if synchro has four countries that's more balanced...
    The fact remains, after Vancouver the IOC has given women's hockey 8 years to show signs of improvement for that reason. The IIHF has responded by implementing international mentoring programs hoping to address the issue.

It was mentioned elsewhere that the IOC would also like to reduce the number of athletes at the Olympics to cut costs. How many skaters are on a hockey or synchro team, multiplied by the number of entry countries? The new FS team event doesn't add new athletes, hence it would be more palatable to the IOC.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by TontoK View Post
    ...My only regret is that we can't have an "international" team, comprised of the best skaters from non-qualifying countries. We could have a team of Kim, Ten, and some dance and pair team... you'll have to help me here. Who are the highest dance and pairs teams from non-qualifying countries?
    That may create a type of all-star team, which has a greater chance of always winning.

Not sure it would help encourage non-qualifying countries to improve their other disciplines.

Custom Title
    I think it would have made more sense to make synchro an Olympic event instead of making up a whole new thing with athletes that are already in the Games-- but that said, as a Canadian, i can't deny i'm excited about my team's chances.

re: S/S, they've been saying for a while now that they have no interest in competing in the team event.
    The problem is money - a lot more skaters with synch and it doens't have the marketing appeal of "traditional" skating. That's a problem.

AS for S/S I wonder if their attitude would change if their team was more of a medal threat or if that was their only shot at competing?

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast