Results 1 to 13 of 13

Thread: Traveling with my kindle

  1. #1
    Custom Title MFarone's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Posts
    379

    Traveling with my kindle

    I received a Kindle Fire HD last year and plan on taking it to Nationals with me in January. After looking through the TSA regulations I think I can just leave the kindle in its case in my carry on bag. I will of course turn the device off and don't plan on using it on the plane.

    My concern is that since this is one of the smaller commuter jets my carry on bag may end up getting "gate checked" which means it ends up in the hold with the rest of the luggage. I always have to take my medications out of the carry on at that point because if they freeze they are totally ruined. Would my kindle be ok in the baggage area? I'm fairly sure with my meds in my purse there wouldn't be room for the kindle. Of course, I would be very upset if the cold damages my kindle. I've been told stuff doesn't freeze in that area, but I'm not sure I believe that.

    Anyone have any experience with a tablet in the baggage hold? Thanks for any help! I'm a natural worrier so please excuse any silly questions from me

  2. #2
    and... World Peace! Tonichelle's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Location
    Kenai, AK
    Posts
    18,654
    I wouldn't put ANY electronic/expensive item in that checked bag if at all possible. I've had my bags be put on an entirely different plane when GATE CHECKED.

    Kindle's are okay to be taken and used on a plane. So I'd just carry it on - it will still be allowed even if your bag doesn't fit.

  3. #3
    Custom Title Nadia01's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    921
    Quote Originally Posted by MFarone View Post
    I received a Kindle Fire HD last year and plan on taking it to Nationals with me in January. After looking through the TSA regulations I think I can just leave the kindle in its case in my carry on bag. I will of course turn the device off and don't plan on using it on the plane.

    My concern is that since this is one of the smaller commuter jets my carry on bag may end up getting "gate checked" which means it ends up in the hold with the rest of the luggage. I always have to take my medications out of the carry on at that point because if they freeze they are totally ruined. Would my kindle be ok in the baggage area? I'm fairly sure with my meds in my purse there wouldn't be room for the kindle. Of course, I would be very upset if the cold damages my kindle. I've been told stuff doesn't freeze in that area, but I'm not sure I believe that.

    Anyone have any experience with a tablet in the baggage hold? Thanks for any help! I'm a natural worrier so please excuse any silly questions from me
    No. Never check your electronics and expect them to work. In my experience, they do not.

  4. #4
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Posts
    9,449
    Anyway, aren't Kindles small? So you could easily carry it with you. Then you would have plenty to read on the plane.

  5. #5
    Custom Title MFarone's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Posts
    379
    Well thanks for the feedback. Don't know what I will do since the kindle is 7.5 x 5 and with the case weighs close to 1 lb. The purse I use for traveling isn't very big and if I put my medications in it the kindle probably won't fit. I'll have to get it out and see what I think. I would never put the kindle in the bag which I plan on checking. Problem is with the small commuter jets there isn't really enough overhead bin space. On at least half of the trips I've made on those smaller planes, I've had to give my carryon bag to the airline as I board the plane. The airline takes it and sticks it in the baggage hold and returns it to you as you get off the plane before you back into the terminal.

  6. #6
    Wicked Yankee Girl dorispulaski's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    Staring at the ocean and smiling.
    Posts
    15,127
    Maybe buy a cheap, zippable tote and pack your empty purse in your luggage?

    That's what I use; cheap tote for skating events.

  7. #7
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Posts
    9,449
    Quote Originally Posted by dorispulaski View Post
    Maybe buy a cheap, zippable tote and pack your empty purse in your luggage?

    That's what I use; cheap tote for skating events.

    I like that idea! Makes sense to have everything to hand for a long trip.

  8. #8
    Custom Title MFarone's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Posts
    379
    Hmmm....going to check out my tote collection! Thanks!

  9. #9
    and... World Peace! Tonichelle's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Location
    Kenai, AK
    Posts
    18,654
    Quote Originally Posted by dorispulaski View Post
    Maybe buy a cheap, zippable tote and pack your empty purse in your luggage?

    That's what I use; cheap tote for skating events.
    That's the way to go IMO.

    It was a small commuter jet that sent my uncle's insulin (they would NOT LET HIM take it with him on the plane even as his ONLY carryon. Southwest dropped the ball and said WE were the ones to blame) to Reno instead of LAX. The stewardess was a total witch about the whole thing. It was ridiculous.

    I have put my laptop under with gate check, and one time the bag didn't make it off of the plane with the rest of the gate checked bags. Needless to say I don't trust gate checking any more than I do regular checked bags.

  10. #10
    Custom Title MFarone's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Posts
    379
    Toni that situation with your uncle's insulin is just awful! If insulin freezes it is completely ruined....and replacing it is a costly proposition. Actually when I started thinking about flying (haven't since Nationals 2012), that is what I was remembering...to be prepared to move my insulin/meter/test strips out of my carryon and into my purse if my bag gets gate checked. I guess I'm lucky no one has ever challenged me on that issue.

    I've resolved my kindle issue . I'm taking the purse I use at home which is larger and will hold my kindle in addition to my medications should the need arise. Over the years I've just carried a tote bag to the arena and not my purse so it shouldn't make any difference at the arena.

    I emailed TDGarden with some questions about medications and one about a see through purse/tote. Never got an answer on either issue. I should probably call, but darn it, why don't they answer the emails. If they don't want emails why publish an email address for pity sake.

  11. #11
    and... World Peace! Tonichelle's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Location
    Kenai, AK
    Posts
    18,654
    Quote Originally Posted by MFarone View Post
    Toni that situation with your uncle's insulin is just awful! If insulin freezes it is completely ruined....and replacing it is a costly proposition. Actually when I started thinking about flying (haven't since Nationals 2012), that is what I was remembering...to be prepared to move my insulin/meter/test strips out of my carryon and into my purse if my bag gets gate checked. I guess I'm lucky no one has ever challenged me on that issue.
    He went without for almost 48 hours! And it's illegal to deny a person their medication which is exactly what they were doing. They were also discriminating due to gender - women were allowed to stow their coats and purses in the overhead bins. His insulin bag was smaller than my purse (I got to board before he did so I wasn't forced to check anything). Thankfully he also has a pump, but we spent the first two days of our vacation dealing with the airline. South West's customer service was non existant. I don't care that they are low fare - I refuse to fly with them after the experience. It also traumatized my aunt and uncle's 5 year old granddaughter (ok that might be a bit of an exaggeration, but she cried whenever the flight attendant who yelled at my uncle came by their seats) as she was afraid that she was going to get yelled at, too. So ridiculous.

    I've resolved my kindle issue . I'm taking the purse I use at home which is larger and will hold my kindle in addition to my medications should the need arise. Over the years I've just carried a tote bag to the arena and not my purse so it shouldn't make any difference at the arena.
    Sounds like a wise plan!

    I emailed TDGarden with some questions about medications and one about a see through purse/tote. Never got an answer on either issue. I should probably call, but darn it, why don't they answer the emails. If they don't want emails why publish an email address for pity sake.
    I hate that! CoyoteChris seems to enjoy getting all the info he can about the arena, maybe pick his brain?

  12. #12
    Custom Title heyang's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    New Jersey
    Posts
    3,172
    It's ok to use Kindle on plane... they usually just request that you turn off wi-fi. However, I've noticed that the attendants dont' actually look to see if youve' done so.

    I definitely wouldn't put electronics in the cargo hold. It's too cold and condensation can occur when the items are brought back into a warm environment suddenly.

  13. #13
    Custom Title MFarone's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Posts
    379
    Thanks heyang...it is the electronics part in the cargo hold that had me really worried. I'm just going to take a bigger purse (which I won't be able to take to TD Garden) and keep it with me on the plane. Generally I am such a nervous flyer that I can't read, but for some I can nap! Go figure!! I love my kindle and definitely don't want it damaged.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •