Any news on Kawaguti/Smirnov? | Golden Skate

Any news on Kawaguti/Smirnov?

abfab

Rinkside
does anyone have news about this pair after his problem in november ?
fab from france

mousepotato

On the Ice
They are definitely not going to Russian Nationals. He skates about 3 hours a day and does a lot of floor work with Yuko. They hope to be ready by Europeans where the Russian fed will decide who gets picked to go. Their programs this season are wonderful, I hope they get a chance to skate them at least once this season.

yelyoh

Medalist
Country
United-States
I really love them and hope they make it to the Olympics. I admire her enormously for what she has sacrificed.

lcd

Match Penalty
This is quite impressive and remarkable progress for him. Wishing them both strength and belief in themselves and satisfaction regardless of whether they achieve a full come back in time. The journey they are going through NOW alone is worthy of much admiration.

tulosai

Record Breaker
I truly hope they are able to achieve the impossible here and go to Sochi.

cinnamon

On the Ice
Thank you so much for the link. It was a good interview, I could understand her as a very positive person. (Only the last paragraph was impossible with Google translation.)

deedee1

Record Breaker
Wishing them both strength and belief in themselves and satisfaction regardless of whether they achieve a full come back in time. The journey they are going through NOW alone is worthy of much admiration.

:thumbsup: My wish, too! Really really hope a miracle and they can come back to competitive ice. Fingers crossed! :yes:

sky_fly20

Match Penalty
Smirnov will now do be able to do jumps and twists at the end of the week

via google translate
Smirnov skater prepares soon again perform jumps

http://sochi2014.rsport.ru/sochi2014_figure/20131219/709134830.html

MOSCOW, December 19 - R-Sport. Russian skater Alexander Smirnov , acting sports paired with Yuko Kawaguchi said that soon again be able to perform jumps and twist in training.

In mid-December , it became known that the pair Alexander Smirnov / Yuko Kawaguchi partner due to injury will miss the championship of Russia in Sochi. Skater got a serious knee injury in October during a speech at the Memorial Panina, then underwent surgery in Germany. In early December, he started training and now notes that the recovery is rapid .

" The week started off very smartly ! Making ice from all support , emissions and death spirals . Layouts naturally . 're Backspin and pryzhochki . But it is too early . A little bit more and I think I can . Feels almost forgotten nothing . Came Peter Chernyshev and was very pleased with the results seen , but it seems to me that everything slowly. faster But just can not spoil a relapse picture "- quoted Smirnov official website of Federation of figure skating in Russia .

" It's a pity that I have not time for the championship of Russia . But I want to believe that very soon again in the ranks! Great desire and we put maximum effort! " - Added skater .

Kawaguchi and Smirnov's performance at the Olympic Games in Sochi is still in question and depends on the pace of recovery partner.

IOC in September 2011 granted the status of Special Olympics authorized information agency (national host agency and national fotopul ) group " RIA Novosti " , which includes sports news agency " F - Sport" , in March 2013 RIA Novosti was granted the status of national host agency Paralympic Games in Sochi .

LRK

Record Breaker
Woohoo! That's grand news... Why, when I first heard that he'd been injured, I thought they'd be out for the entire season, for sure. Love them. :)

pangtongfan

Match Penalty
It would be hard for them to just get a bye now I imagine anyway. Barazova & Larionov beat them in most competiions last year, I think the only one they didnt was Worlds, and even B&L were now beaten at Nationals but their most promising up and coming pair who are highly thought of in Russia. Had they been healthy the probably would have made it and been wanted for the team, but they are in no way so far ahead of the others to justify a bye which is usually the only case you see that situation. They arent V&T, their last World medal was 2010 now. That is if it was even realistic for them to be ready in time, which looks unlikely in itself.

tulosai

Record Breaker
It would be hard for them to just get a bye now I imagine anyway. Barazova & Larionov beat them in most competiions last year, I think the only one they didnt was Worlds, and even B&L were now beaten at Nationals but their most promising up and coming pair who are highly thought of in Russia. Had they been healthy the probably would have made it and been wanted for the team, but they are in no way so far ahead of the others to justify a bye which is usually the only case you see that situation. They arent V&T, their last World medal was 2010 now. That is if it was even realistic for them to be ready in time, which looks unlikely in itself.

I unfortunately agree with this assessment. I 100% expect the Olympic team to be V/T, B/L, and S/K (probably but not necessarily in that order). While I truly LOVE K/S, especially her, I do not think their international results merit a bye. B/L have been practically tied with them at worlds for the past 3 years (literally one place off, and once ahead), have beaten them in the GPF last year, and despite their jump issues which are serious score well internationally. S/K have now proven they can beat them, and while they can be inconsistent can also rock it and have the potential to beat B/L and score high. At this point, barring a meltdown by B/L or S/K at Euros, I believe the team is set.

pangtongfan

Match Penalty
I unfortunately agree with this assessment. I 100% expect the Olympic team to be V/T, B/L, and S/K (probably but not necessarily in that order). While I truly LOVE K/S, especially her, I do not think their international results merit a bye. B/L have been practically tied with them at worlds for the past 3 years (literally one place off, and once ahead), have beaten them in the GPF last year, and despite their jump issues which are serious score well internationally. S/K have now proven they can beat them, and while they can be inconsistent can also rock it and have the potential to beat B/L and score high. At this point, barring a meltdown by B/L or S/K at Euros, I believe the team is set.

Yes, I think they will keep training and do all they can to be ready, but unless one of B&L or S&K finish outside the top 5 at Europeans (the top 5 at Europeans should be V&T, S&S, than the Italians and other 2 Russians in some order) there isnt much hope of a medical bye to the team even if they are really ready (which by reports doesnt even look promising). I think had they been ready now they might have been named to Europeans over B&L who didnt skate well at Nationals and solidified their spot if they had a strong showing there, but unfortunately that isnt the case.