Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Any news on Kawaguti/Smirnov?

A little bit old news from Nov. 29. To the question about retiring Yuko answered, "everything has been changed (after this injury), so not sure where to set their goal yet".
    http://www.tokyo-np.co.jp/article/sp...902000107.html

Their Olympic dream is fading
    http://www.asahi.com/articles/ASF0JJT201312270005.html
    they are not going to Europeans.

Banned
    It would be hard for them to just get a bye now I imagine anyway. Barazova & Larionov beat them in most competiions last year, I think the only one they didnt was Worlds, and even B&L were now beaten at Nationals but their most promising up and coming pair who are highly thought of in Russia. Had they been healthy the probably would have made it and been wanted for the team, but they are in no way so far ahead of the others to justify a bye which is usually the only case you see that situation. They arent V&T, their last World medal was 2010 now. That is if it was even realistic for them to be ready in time, which looks unlikely in itself.

Quote Originally Posted by pangtongfan View Post
    It would be hard for them to just get a bye now I imagine anyway. Barazova & Larionov beat them in most competiions last year, I think the only one they didnt was Worlds, and even B&L were now beaten at Nationals but their most promising up and coming pair who are highly thought of in Russia. Had they been healthy the probably would have made it and been wanted for the team, but they are in no way so far ahead of the others to justify a bye which is usually the only case you see that situation. They arent V&T, their last World medal was 2010 now. That is if it was even realistic for them to be ready in time, which looks unlikely in itself.
    I unfortunately agree with this assessment. I 100% expect the Olympic team to be V/T, B/L, and S/K (probably but not necessarily in that order). While I truly LOVE K/S, especially her, I do not think their international results merit a bye. B/L have been practically tied with them at worlds for the past 3 years (literally one place off, and once ahead), have beaten them in the GPF last year, and despite their jump issues which are serious score well internationally. S/K have now proven they can beat them, and while they can be inconsistent can also rock it and have the potential to beat B/L and score high. At this point, barring a meltdown by B/L or S/K at Euros, I believe the team is set.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by tulosai View Post
    I unfortunately agree with this assessment. I 100% expect the Olympic team to be V/T, B/L, and S/K (probably but not necessarily in that order). While I truly LOVE K/S, especially her, I do not think their international results merit a bye. B/L have been practically tied with them at worlds for the past 3 years (literally one place off, and once ahead), have beaten them in the GPF last year, and despite their jump issues which are serious score well internationally. S/K have now proven they can beat them, and while they can be inconsistent can also rock it and have the potential to beat B/L and score high. At this point, barring a meltdown by B/L or S/K at Euros, I believe the team is set.
    Yes, I think they will keep training and do all they can to be ready, but unless one of B&L or S&K finish outside the top 5 at Europeans (the top 5 at Europeans should be V&T, S&S, than the Italians and other 2 Russians in some order) there isnt much hope of a medical bye to the team even if they are really ready (which by reports doesnt even look promising). I think had they been ready now they might have been named to Europeans over B&L who didnt skate well at Nationals and solidified their spot if they had a strong showing there, but unfortunately that isnt the case.

Custom Title
    You have to hand it to this pair for sheer determination. I'll always admire them, especially Kawaguti, for their grit and perseverance.

Quote Originally Posted by Olympia View Post
    You have to hand it to this pair for sheer determination. I'll always admire them, especially Kawaguti, for their grit and perseverance.

Custom Title
    Absolutely!

Of course I love them anyway - one of my favourite pairs.

I doubt they'd be ready by the time of the Olympics in any case - it sounds to me as if their preparation is too behind for that. What do you people think about Worlds? I mean - will they be ready? and if they are - will they be sent?

(I realise that Worlds' is a come-down when one is hoping for an Olympic spot - but I'd love to see them compete anyway... )

Quote Originally Posted by LRK View Post
    Absolutely!

I doubt they'd be ready by the time of the Olympics in any case - it sounds to me as if their preparation is too behind for that. What do you people think about Worlds? I mean - will they be ready? and if they are - will they be sent?

(I realise that Worlds' is a come-down when one is hoping for an Olympic spot - but I'd love to see them compete anyway... )
    Sounds like a good idea.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by LRK View Post
    Absolutely!

Yes, I wouldnt be totally surprised to see them replace the 3rd placing Russian team at Worlds.

Medalist
    I am hopeful but doubtful we will see them at world's. But S and K and B and L are not really what I envision as teams ready to represent Russia as no. 1 if V and T retire. Usually Russia has stronger pairs teams but they do seem capable of holding off the Americans and competing with Italy, France and Canada and other than Pang and Tong China.

from their Facebook:

Yuko Kavaguti & Alexander Smirnov

December 29

Alexander Gorshkov of the Russian federation said of Smirnov: “Courage and sacrifice are always rewarded”. The final names for the Olympic team will be announced on January 27th. A test skate for Kavaguti and Smirnov will take place after Europeans and the final two pairs will be selected. Personally, I hope he is ready for Sochi but if not they can look forward to being ready by Worlds in three months.

Medalist
    I have a soft spot for them; hoping and praying for a miracle I kind of feel they deserve an oly medal though it is unlikely now:(

Custom Title
    Interview of Tamara Moskvina - coach of Kawaguti/Smirnov.
    http://www.team-russia2014.ru/article/figur/14094.html (Russian)
    Very shortly:
    1. Pair skate programs with some elements.
    2. Smirnov few days ago landed 1A (3 times) - first jumps after injury.
    3. They plan to skate full program at January 25.

Interview of Smirnov
    http://www.team-russia2014.ru/article/14098.html (Russian)
    Info about the same.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by AlexRus View Post
    Interview of Tamara Moskvina - coach of Kawaguti/Smirnov.
    http://www.team-russia2014.ru/article/figur/14094.html (Russian)
    Very shortly:
    1. Pair skate programs with some elements.
    2. Smirnov few days ago landed 1A (3 times) - first jumps after injury.
    3. They plan to skate full program at January 25.

Interview of Smirnov
    http://www.team-russia2014.ru/article/14098.html (Russian)
    Info about the same.
    It is very hard for me to see them being competitive if he just started jumping yesterday. But I wish them luck!

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast