Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Great Elizabeth Manley Article!

Custom Title

News Great Elizabeth Manley Article!

http://www.theenterprisebulletin.com...-health-issues

This is such an eye opening and interesting read. Elizabeth is truly a champion in every sense of the word.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by Jtsmith12 View Post

This is such an eye opening and interesting read. Elizabeth is truly a champion in every sense of the word.
    I knew she'd had problems but not of that magnitude. What an amazing, strong woman.

Custom Title
    “My number one competitor comes up behind me and she taps me on the shoulder,” said Manley. “I’m 10 seconds from them announcing my name over national television. I turn around and she giggles and she says, ‘I didn’t see you in the locker room, but did you need to borrow hairspray?’”

Fast forward 20 years later and Manley was watching a show called Nudes on Ice in Las Vegas. It turns out the same girl who offered her hairspray was the “star” of the show.

“I parked my butt right in front of that stage and that girl that offered my hairspray 20 years ago had to come out and skate butt-naked in front of me, and I made sure she saw me every minute of that night,” said Manley.
    Really classy of Manley to not hold grudges or have a superiority complex about nudity.

Custom Title
    Thank you Jtsmith12. I needed to see this article today. You inspired me Elizabeth.

It is quite clear that the world of figure skating was and continues to be brutal. These athletes have much pressure to deal with.

Quote Originally Posted by Jtsmith12 View Post

I didn't know anything about all this! What an interesting read!

Custom Title
    What a story. What a champion.

When I read the part about that idiot skater who taunted her with hairspray, I remembered an anecdote that had the opposite effect on a young Cheryl Tiegs. Tiegs was one of the pre-eminent models of the 1970s, a gorgeous girl, and modeling is certainly a cutthroat business. One day early in her career, she was on a shoot, new and green and not well-equipped with clothing or supplies. Another model came up to her and said, "I wonder whether you might want to borrow something of mine?" The other girl offered her the pick of her chic belongings. Cheryl Tiegs never forgot the kindness and wrote about it in one of her books. The other model was Ali MacGraw. Understandably I've been a fan of both ladies since reading that.

Just because competition is brutal doesn't mean that competitors have to behave like brutes.

Custom Title
    Any media stories about the current crop of Canadian ladies?

Tripping on the Podium
    Her memoir is great if you can find a copy of it. I found it at a library sale when our library cleaned out their skating collection. I've actually gotten most of our library's figure skating books, except Scott Hamilton's (which they still have) and that mysterious one I asked about a few months ago.

God Bless Liz. Her LP was the best skate of Calgary. What a spitfire.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by Olympia View Post
    What a story. What a champion.

When I read the part about that idiot skater who taunted her with hairspray, I remembered an anecdote that had the opposite effect on a young Cheryl Tiegs. Tiegs was one of the pre-eminent models of the 1970s, a gorgeous girl, and modeling is certainly a cutthroat business. One day early in her career, she was on a shoot, new and green and not well-equipped with clothing or supplies. Another model came up to her and said, "I wonder whether you might want to borrow something of mine?" The other girl offered her the pick of her chic belongings. Cheryl Tiegs never forgot the kindness and wrote about it in one of her books. The other model was Ali MacGraw. Understandably I've been a fan of both ladies since reading that.

Just because competition is brutal doesn't mean that competitors have to behave like brutes.
    Another great story that I am happy to hear! Another one I love and my facts are fuzzy so please forgive! When the pairs from China first competed, they skated very old-style. It looked very odd but they had based their training on very old videos. Some were laughing at them but Martini/Underhill offered encouragement and support and acknowledged their commitment. I have always loved that about them. Whenever I read someone saying that they hate Barb because she didn't give an autograph in 199-whatever, I just think, come on, people! Get a grip on what's important in life!
    I've seen Liz rise above and encourage and challenge others. Makes me proud to be a Canadian!

Liz Manley

Custom Title
    Thank you for the link.

Custom Title
    This was so touching and inspiring! What a heroine she is! her honesty and compassion are so sorely needed in this world and will help so many young people.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by brightphoton View Post
    Really classy of Manley to not hold grudges or have a superiority complex about nudity.
    That rubs me the wrong way too...perhaps it takes the magnanimity of a saint to forgive a former mean, *teenaged* rival who has fallen after *20* years.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by qwertyskates View Post
    That rubs me the wrong way too...perhaps it takes the magnanimity of a saint to forgive a former mean, *teenaged* rival who has fallen after *20* years.
    I didn't think brightphoton was being sarcastic, but maybe I missed something. That girl was HORRIBLE to her. I mean, just awful. Not merely competitive or catty. and she doesn't have a superiority complex about nudity or she wouldn't be attending this Nudes on Ice show!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast