Great Elizabeth Manley Article! | Golden Skate

Great Elizabeth Manley Article!

brightphoton

Medalist
“My number one competitor comes up behind me and she taps me on the shoulder,” said Manley. “I’m 10 seconds from them announcing my name over national television. I turn around and she giggles and she says, ‘I didn’t see you in the locker room, but did you need to borrow hairspray?’”

Fast forward 20 years later and Manley was watching a show called Nudes on Ice in Las Vegas. It turns out the same girl who offered her hairspray was the “star” of the show.

“I parked my butt right in front of that stage and that girl that offered my hairspray 20 years ago had to come out and skate butt-naked in front of me, and I made sure she saw me every minute of that night,” said Manley.

Really classy of Manley to not hold grudges or have a superiority complex about nudity.

sweetskates1

Medalist

FSGMT

Record Breaker
I didn't know anything about all this! :eek: What an interesting read!

What a story. What a champion.

When I read the part about that idiot skater who taunted her with hairspray, I remembered an anecdote that had the opposite effect on a young Cheryl Tiegs. Tiegs was one of the pre-eminent models of the 1970s, a gorgeous girl, and modeling is certainly a cutthroat business. One day early in her career, she was on a shoot, new and green and not well-equipped with clothing or supplies. Another model came up to her and said, "I wonder whether you might want to borrow something of mine?" The other girl offered her the pick of her chic belongings. Cheryl Tiegs never forgot the kindness and wrote about it in one of her books. The other model was Ali MacGraw. Understandably I've been a fan of both ladies since reading that.

Just because competition is brutal doesn't mean that competitors have to behave like brutes.

SoundtracksOnIce

On the Ice
Her memoir is great if you can find a copy of it. I found it at a library sale when our library cleaned out their skating collection. I've actually gotten most of our library's figure skating books, except Scott Hamilton's (which they still have) and that mysterious one I asked about a few months ago.

Scrufflet

Final Flight
What a story. What a champion.

When I read the part about that idiot skater who taunted her with hairspray, I remembered an anecdote that had the opposite effect on a young Cheryl Tiegs. Tiegs was one of the pre-eminent models of the 1970s, a gorgeous girl, and modeling is certainly a cutthroat business. One day early in her career, she was on a shoot, new and green and not well-equipped with clothing or supplies. Another model came up to her and said, "I wonder whether you might want to borrow something of mine?" The other girl offered her the pick of her chic belongings. Cheryl Tiegs never forgot the kindness and wrote about it in one of her books. The other model was Ali MacGraw. Understandably I've been a fan of both ladies since reading that.

Just because competition is brutal doesn't mean that competitors have to behave like brutes.

Another great story that I am happy to hear! Another one I love and my facts are fuzzy so please forgive! When the pairs from China first competed, they skated very old-style. It looked very odd but they had based their training on very old videos. Some were laughing at them but Martini/Underhill offered encouragement and support and acknowledged their commitment. I have always loved that about them. Whenever I read someone saying that they hate Barb because she didn't give an autograph in 199-whatever, I just think, come on, people! Get a grip on what's important in life!
I've seen Liz rise above and encourage and challenge others. Makes me proud to be a Canadian!

wordsworthgirl

Medalist
This was so touching and inspiring! What a heroine she is! her honesty and compassion are so sorely needed in this world and will help so many young people.

wordsworthgirl

Medalist
That rubs me the wrong way too...perhaps it takes the magnanimity of a saint to forgive a former mean, *teenaged* rival who has fallen after *20* years.

I didn't think brightphoton was being sarcastic, but maybe I missed something. That girl was HORRIBLE to her. I mean, just awful. Not merely competitive or catty. and she doesn't have a superiority complex about nudity or she wouldn't be attending this Nudes on Ice show!

qwertyskates

Medalist
I didn't think brightphoton was being sarcastic, but maybe I missed something. That girl was HORRIBLE to her. I mean, just awful. Not merely competitive or catty. and she doesn't have a superiority complex about nudity or she wouldn't be attending this Nudes on Ice show!

Of course she was horrible, but that was one mean comment 20 years ago by a very young girl. It is common for many to experience equally mean/teasing/taunting/cruel comments throughout their highschool/teenage years; good for Manley to rise above them and made a way for herself, that was an inspiring narrative, but there's something wrong about savoring this moment of "schadenfreude" after her own great success and 20 years later. Pensive, introspective, sympathetic even self-congratulatory thoughts are far worthier for a champion than vengeful ones.

SoundtracksOnIce

On the Ice
Of course she was horrible, but that was one mean comment 20 years ago by a very young girl. It is common for many to experience equally mean/teasing/taunting/cruel comments throughout their highschool/teenage years; good for Manley to rise above them and made a way for herself, that was an inspiring narrative, but there's something wrong about savoring this moment of "schadenfreude" after her own great success and 20 years later. Pensive, introspective, sympathetic even self-congratulatory thoughts are far worthier for a champion than vengeful ones.

Many of them don't change as well. I'd be disappointed in Elizabeth if she made a hateful comment back, but all she did was simply sit there and let the other skater see her. Hopefully the other skater learns something from it.

I had a doctor who scared the crap out of my mother by telling her I had cystic fibrosis when I was little and I never did. I'm 31 now and I'd dearly love to stop by his office sometime, just to make a point.