Worst Song Lyrics - Or Songs That Make You "Cringe" | Golden Skate

Worst Song Lyrics - Or Songs That Make You "Cringe"

Ladskater

~ Figure Skating Is My Passion ~
Record Breaker
I think Neil Diamond's "I am I said" contains one of the strangest lines ever written in a song:

"I am said I, I am I cried, and no one heard at all, not even the chair."

- Do chairs hear?

:D

guinevere

Final Flight
Well, I am definitely a child of the '80s, which had its share of ridiculous lyrics (what, exactly IS the "Safety Dance", anyway?), and I was a hard core Duran Duran fan at 13, but I had a hard time defending my love for them with the line "You think you're easy on me? You're about as easy as a nuclear war" from 'Is There Something I Should Know?'

guinevere

SusanBeth

Final Flight
I HATE 'Oh, What a Night' by the Four Seasons. I just don't think bad sex with a complete stranger is anything to sing about.

''Honey'' It starts out with ''See the tree, how big it's grown....'' Whoever wrote that sucker owes mankind an apology.

''Torn Between Two Lovers'' I don't really cringe. I just get the urge to slap the singer.

'

JonnyCoop

Record Breaker
"Midnight at the Oasis" by Maria Muldaur, "Saturday in the Park" by Chicago, and "Crucified" by Army of Lovers will usually send me screaming out of the room.

"She Bangs" by Ricky Martin is IMO the worst thing to be recorded in the last 10 years.

My prize for most inane lyrics however would have to go to that 70s classic, "Undercover Angel". Based on the lyrics, let's have an actual transcript of this conversation, shall we?
"What?"
"Woo-hoo-hoo-ee"
"All right!!"
"Love me, Love me, love me!!"

Real intelligent....:sheesh:

Tho I do really like the song "Something in Red" by Lorrie Morgan, I also have to agree with a friend of mine, who, upon hearing it for the first time, said, "Isn't this a LITTLE BIT MUCH for a song about SHOPPING??"

Yazmeen

On the Ice
Ahh, SusanBeth, how true: "Honey" The story of a stupid, young housewife who managed to somehow die in her sleep. There's no explanation. What, a twenty year old suddenly just die? Maybe Bobby Goldsboro couldn't find something to rhyme with "embolus" or "heart attack..." :p

The one I hate the most?

"We had joy, we had fun, we had seasons in the sun..."
For some reason, I always thought the main character was about to be executed...

I guess I don't like whiny songs about death!!! And for that matter, what crime did the guy in "Green, green grass of home" exactly commit?????"

I forget who sings the song and am not sure of the title and think it's from the 70's, but it has a verse of "loving you is beautiful" and then a bunch of la la la la la's and then a sort of high pitched squeel in it......it's like nails on a blackboard to me.....OW my ears!!!

Pookie

Final Flight
I forget who sings the song and am not sure of the title and think it's from the 70's, but it has a verse of "loving you is beautiful" and then a bunch of la la la la la's and then a sort of high pitched squeel in it......it's like nails on a blackboard to me.....

That would be Minnie Ripperton. :laugh:

show 42

Arm Chair Skate Fan
Record Breaker
Oh-oh.......I love "She Bangs" by Martin.......oh well

My pet peeves are ballads.........you can't dance to them and they're hard to sing to because usually the singer is off key....examples......."The Green Berets", "Sink the Bismark", "PT 109", and then there's the famous "Battle of New Orleans" ...."well she ran through the briar and she ran through the brambles and she ran through the bushes where the rabbits couldn't go, she ran so fast that the hounds couldn't catch her, on down to Mississippi to the Gulf of Mexico....." 42

BronzeisGolden

Medalist
I really HATED that R. Kelly song that played for most of last year...you know, the one that went:

"Beep, beep...Toot, toot"

What the hell? I half expected him to remix this song with "The Wheels on the Bus".

Bijoux

Match Penalty
lmao!

This thread is a hoot! You're all so funny.

I cringe at that old song "havin my baby....what a lovely way of saying how much you love me.." so hokey. She's having your baby because you had sex and she wants a kid.

The strangest words from a song I like fron the late 60's or early 70's is MacArthur Park. "Someone left the cake out in the rain, and I wish that I could take it (or make it) cuz it took so long to make it, and I'll never have that recipe again. OHH NNNNooooo!"

very dramatic orchestration, great melody, totally have no idea who sang it or what the heck it means! :confused:

Ladskater

Record Breaker
Bijoux:

MacArthur Park was a great song for skating. The song became Jo Jo Starbuck and Ken Shelly's signature piece. They had this awesome throw axel right when the music hit a crescendo. It would equal or better S&Z. I loved it.

The song was written by Jimmy Webb and though many have sung the song, the best cover was done by Richard Harris - the version Jo Jo and Ken used.

I saw them skate live many times - That program always "brought the house down."

I always associate that music with Jo Jo Starbuck and Ken Shelly to this day.

:)

Last edited:

Ladskater

Record Breaker
My dad hated "The Witchita Lineman" because he was a Lineman, it reminded him too much of work.

WICHITA LINEMAN

I am a lineman for the county and I drive the main road
Searchin' in the sun for another overload
I hear you singing in the wires I can hear you through the whine
And the Wichita lineman is still on the line

I know I need a small vacation but it don't look like rain
And if it snows that that stretch down south won't ever stand the strain
And I need you more than want you and I want you for all time

And I need you more than want you and I want you for all time

Ladskater

Record Breaker
Here is a song that really made me "cringe." Just the sound of the singers' voice sounded like someone running their fingernails down a black board...ew...

Midnight At The Oasis

sung by
Maria Muldaur

Silver Lining

Rinkside
You guys are hilarious!:laugh:
I actually like Neil Diamond, and I do relate to the words to that song. I also know what a "Safety Dance" is. ;) And I love 'Oh, What a Night' (actually titled 'December 1963').
I recall that Minnie Ruperton song - I couldn't believe she could hit those high notes, then I remember she won an award for that song and she sang that riff when she gave her acceptance speech, I think maybe to prove she really did sing that and it wasn't synthesized. Did anyone see the Eddie Murphy put the comedian in an armlock and force him to hit those notes in ' The Nutty Professor'? It was hilarious! :laugh:
How about "I'm serious as cancer when I say rhythm is a dancer". What, they make millions of dollars and they can't come up with better lyrics? :rolleye:
I think the worst song I ever heard was 'Timothy' about a mining accident by the 'Buoys'. Another song that gets under my skin is 'Patches' by Clarence 'Strokin' Carter. :p

And anything by Eminem.

Cinderella on Ice

Bless you, Fairy Godmother, I'm Having a BALL!
On the Ice
Gosh I LOVE this thread.

It's been said already, but it bears repeating, just in case it saves one person from hearing this awful, awful song:

Midnight at the Oasis by Maria Muldaur.

"Midnight at the oasis. Send your camel to bed."

"C'mon cactus is our friend, and he'll point out the way."

"Let's slip off to a sand dune, real soon, and kick up a little dust."

Oh puh-lease!!!

It makes my ears bleed.

Pati

On the Ice
NJSk8Fan said:
I forget who sings the song and am not sure of the title and think it's from the 70's, but it has a verse of "loving you is beautiful" and then a bunch of la la la la la's and then a sort of high pitched squeel in it......it's like nails on a blackboard to me.....OW my ears!!!

The exact song that came to my mind too! How funny is that?

edited to add: thank goodness I can't understand half the words to most songs!:laugh: Half the time reading this thread I'm thinking: thats what the words are?????:laugh:

Last edited:

JonnyCoop

Record Breaker
re. Midnight at the Oasis: I was actually the first one to mention this, but I never realized how inane the lyrics are because the awful delivery just kind of buzzed around in my head. Ms. Muldaur was EXTREMELY, as Randy Jackson would say, "pitchy"...

re. Minnie Ripperton, "Loving You' -- I can't believe I forgot to mention that one! (Apparently I had blocked it out, gee can't imagine why:D ) Those high notes could perm hair!!

"Macarthur Park" was sung by the late actor/singer Richard Harris. I know this because my mother had a major thing for Richard Harris in the early 70s and when I was little I had to hear that album over and over and over. Eeep!!:eek:

re. Songs About People Who Die: Ever hear "Me and Little Andy" by Dolly Parton? It's about this little girl and her dog ("My name is Sandy, and this here is my puppy dog, it's name is little Andy") who apparently show up on Dolly Parton's doorstep in the middle of the night because "my mommy ran away again" and "Daddy's drunk again in town" "and we was all alone and didn't know what else to do; I wonder if you could let us stay with you." So she takes them in and for some INEXPLICABLE REASON during the night "the angels took them both to heaven". Yep, both the girl AND the dog because apparently "God knew little Andy would be lonesome with her doll". It would be cringe-worthy if it wasn't so over the top as to be absolutely hysterical!! (Well, it's cringe-worthy, anyway, but in a funny way.)

Yazmeen

On the Ice
Oh, my God, "TIMOTHY" a rock song about cannabalism!!!! No joke, a bunch of trapped men die and two are left and the survivor uses "Tim" to survive. It actually had a verse where the crazed survivor is looking for "Tim" and yells "Oh, God, what did I do???" Yup, that HAS to be the worst song of all time!!!!!

Ravyn Rant

Totally 80s Dance Party!
Medalist
How can I pick just one?

What a great thread! Many of the songs already mentioned here (MacArthur Park, Honey, I Am, I Said) are covered in Dave Barry's "Book of Bad Songs", which I recommend highly as it's laugh-out-loud funny.
It's hard to come up with just one, having grown up in the 70s...
Rave

Pookie

Final Flight
Many of the songs already mentioned here (MacArthur Park, Honey, I Am, I Said) are covered in Dave Barry's "Book of Bad Songs", which I recommend highly as it's laugh-out-loud funny.

I just read this a couple of months ago. It is a very funny book. The only problem with it, is it made me analyze some of the songs I really liked. :laugh:

One that sets my teeth on edge is "Walk Like a Man" by Franki Valli.