Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: the Food Network

Custom Title

the Food Network

I used to enjoy all the cooking shows, especially the ones where people made pastry and chocolate confections. But now the whole channel seems to be obsessed with this Guy Fieri. It seems that every evening, there's an endless sequence of Diners, Drive-Ins, and Dives or one of his other shows. What is so wonderful about watching someone eat?

Where is Julia Child when we need her....

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by Olympia View Post
    I used to enjoy all the cooking shows, especially the ones where people made pastry and chocolate confections. But now the whole channel seems to be obsessed with this Guy Fieri. It seems that every evening, there's an endless sequence of Diners, Drive-Ins, and Dives or one of his other shows. What is so wonderful about watching someone eat?

Where is Julia Child when we need her....
    I like Grocery Games, but yeah they seem to be trying to push him down our throats a lot.

Wicked Yankee Girl dorispulaski's Avatar
    I'm still missing Molto Mario [Batali] on Foodnetwork.
    I believe Julia Child's old shows can be found on Amazon Prime, though?
    I get my Julia fix watching Meryl Streep in Julie & Julia.

I am bored by all the Diners, DriveIns & Dives, too, Olympia.

My dad LOVES "Triple D" I am a picky eater and don't enjoy it as much.

The cooking shows are on during the "stay at home mom" hours.

PBS shows Julia's shows on Saturday mornings here, but I know programing is different for each PBS station.

I actually love "The Chew" on ABC - Mario is one of the hosts on that. They do cooking in a very interesting way and it's better IMO than Rachel Ray's show. She was the FN's darling a few years ago, so I'm not too annoyed that Guy is now - I like him a whole lot more than Rachel (nothing really against her, I just don't like what she's offered over the years).

Wish Brian's show made it through the cuts... it was super cheesey but I LOVE his recipes (I've done several and all are awesome).

Toni, I've got to agree with you that I can do without Rachel Ray. I've never been even mildly tempted to use any of her recipes. And I cannot stand "Rachelspeak" especially EVOO & sammies

Quote Originally Posted by dorispulaski View Post
    Toni, I've got to agree with you that I can do without Rachel Ray. I've never been even mildly tempted to use any of her recipes. And I cannot stand "Rachelspeak" especially EVOO & sammies
    Yummo is the one that drives me up the wall (though I have typed it out a few times on my blog... and hated myself for days afterwards )

Custom Title
    Whenever I feel glum, I watch Meryl as Julia. The cutting onions scene always puts a big smile on my face.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by WeakAnkles View Post
    Whenever I feel glum, I watch Meryl as Julia. The cutting onions scene always puts a big smile on my face.
    Funny--that's exactly the movie I headed for last weekend when I wasn't feeling well. Isn't it splendid? The paired stories give it such a wonderful texture, even though I prefer Julia Child's story to Julie P.'s. Knowing what Julia's life led to decades later provides so much extra dimension. A brilliant decision on Nora Ephron's part.

Meryl Streep and Stanley Tucci--the best! The onion scene always makes me smile, too. And the thought of boeuf bourguignon on a snowy evening warms me.

Definitely, Julie & Julia is comfort food for the soul!

In this dark time of year, I find myself drifting to cooking my idea of comfort food, which is, of course, the foods my grandmother cooked. And anything that requires long baking or cooking...it makes the kitchen so toasty warm.

And so I did a nice beef stew yesterday.
    I did baked beans from scratch the day before.
    Shepherd's pie - but this version is really Magi Pie, since it is upgraded with finely chopped baby bella mushrooms, sherry, and frozen peas instead of corn-and the mashed potatoes are from scratch real, always
    Salt cod & potatoes with cream sauce & scrunchions, followed by cod fish cakes the day after.
    Beef roast (I like a spoon roast) with mashed potatoes for Sunday dinner, followed by one of the only non historical meal of the week, Chinese pepper steak on rice.

I can see that today I need to make mac and cheese from scratch...
    And I see pork chops & sauerkraut with apples approaching soon...

Toni, I can't stand Yummo or Delish either.
    Last edited by dorispulaski; 12-15-2013 at 08:51 AM.

Custom Title
    I was friends with someone who would growl--and not quietly either--mmmmmmmmmmmm nummy! nummy! nummmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy yyyy! when he particularly relished a bite of something.

Needless to say, we didn't go out for meals very often.

Custom Title
    Doris, that all sounds scrumptious.

Macaroni and cheese, definitely. What's your recipe?

(By the way, I've saved your fruitcake recipes from earlier. I haven't tried them yet, but I know a good thing when I see one.)

I did a lot of cooking this summer and last winter, not so much this winter - though I've done a ton of baking for the holidays (both thanksgiving and now Christmas)...

Want to get back into cooking... finding stuff that the family all agrees on and doesn't break the budget though is tricky. With mom's gluten allergy we either have to guess as to how to make it work for her (gluten free flours are hard to pick which one for which recipe) or I end up making two separate dishes for one meal... :-/

Figure Skating Is A Dangerous Sport Dee4707's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by dorispulaski View Post
    And I cannot stand "Rachelspeak" especially
    Since I don't watch the network much, I was wondering if you actually meant Rachel's voice, because if it is, that's the reason I don't watch her. It's like running your fingernails down the chalkboard. My younger brother knew that scratching your folk on a plate was something that totally annoyed me so he would do it just to tease. I knew he couldn't stand scraping your folk on your teeth, so guess what I did. My mom would ask ....what are you two doing as he scratching his plate and I'm scraping my folk against my teeth. It was fun at the time!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Weakankles
    I was friends with someone who would growl--and not quietly either--mmmmmmmmmmmm nummy! nummy! nummmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy yyyy! when he particularly relished a bite of something.
    I wonder what people thought you both were doing when you were out eating!!

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by Dee4707 View Post
    I wonder what people thought you both were doing when you were out eating!!
    Now you see why I didn't go out to eat too often! Who wants to be taken for the gay version of When Harry Met Sally... LOL!

Can I second the request for the mac & cheese recipe? And the pork chops sound mmmmmmmm num... Oh wait. Let me rephrase that.

Quote Originally Posted by Dee4707 View Post
    Since I don't watch the network much, I was wondering if you actually meant Rachel's voice, because if it is, that's the reason I don't watch her.
    Her voice annoys me as well, but rachaelspeak refers to the words she's "known for" like "Yummo, EVOO, Sammies" etc.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast