Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: the Food Network

I think FN's problems with programming when they decided to add Cooking Channel. So now, Cooking Channel has a lot of cooking shows and FN is supposed to be about Food, not cooking. However, not all carriers offer Cooking Channel with Food Network. Also, Cooking Channel seems to have a lot of reruns of older FN shows, shows from other countries and a few US based shows (i.e. Kelsey's essentials, etc)

FN is always a 'go to' station for me when I can't find anything else to watch on tv. For whatever reasons, I 'forget' that cooking channel is an option, too. I guess none of the new shows are consistently appealing. On CC, I usually end up watching reruns of Good Eats.

My favorites are Giada and Ina and their new episodes are usually on Saturday AM's. I don't care for Pioneer Women or Trisha's kitchen.... so, none of their newer hosts have caught on for me.

I love to watch Bobby Flay even though most of what he cooks I wouldn't even think of eating (I am not a southwestern foodie lol I am not a fan of peppers and other spicy treats).

Custom Title
    I used to enjoy Iron Chef and the Fat Ladies, mostly for humour. Jamie Oliver was good for recipes I could actually use. I've long since bid adieu to the channel because it always seems to be the diner stuff.
    Yesterday we put together a beef stew and today a broccoli/lentil soup. It's cold up here!
    A shepherd's pie variation:
    Base - ground meat, onions, peas and TSP Dijon mustard and 2T. sour cream mixed in
    Middle layer - carrots, parsnips, dash nutmeg and some butter/marg, all mashed
    Top layer - Whipped potatoes (milk and butter/marg added)
    Cook each layer, assemble and put in oven to brown top. Wow!

Custom Title
    Sounds delicious, Scrufflet!

I've been baking the last few days... just finished a Gluten Free "Chocolate Caramel Lava Cookie"... I'm not a fan of GF stuff, but mom can't have Gluten so I had to find something to make her... dad likes them... she may not get any since he keeps eating them

Wicked Yankee Girl dorispulaski's Avatar
    My mac and cheese recipe is nothing special - I use celantini for the pasta, make a medium cream sauce, season with salt, pepper & powdered mustard (1/4 to 1/2 tsp), grate in cheese to taste (preferably multiple cheeses-for me colby, Cabot Sharp, and some grated parmesan, but buying the loose ends cheese in my big grocery store deli is a reasonably priced way to achieve the same thing). Mix the pasta & cheese sauce. Top with fried, buttered bread crumbs (just brown the crumbs in a frying pan in butter). Bake at 375 F for 30 to 40 minutes until bubbly

Serve with a lettuce/tomato/cucumber/onion salad with vinaigrette dressing (the vinaigrette cuts the heaviness of the mac n cheese).
    Last edited by dorispulaski; 12-18-2013 at 07:27 AM.

Custom Title
    Thanks, Doris!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2