Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast

Thread: Those who have seen YuNa and Patrick live-question

I wish I could see them! YuNa may skate twice more-Korean Nationals and Sochi. Fairly sure I won't get there. It is a real issue and the scoring confuses even the best informed people because it is subjective. But I think the anonymity allows it to continue. I can't imagine this being the case in other judged sports...or is it? In gymnastics is the judging anonymous?

Really, I was shocked by the Vancouver results. I guess you had to be there....

Quote Originally Posted by skateluvr View Post
    This was about overscoring and how it is not fair to many gifted skaters. And how IJS was supposed to remedy this.
    Wait. It is? I thought it was about performance qualities that you can see live that are not so apparent when you see them on TV. Hence the question in the title of the thread.

Quote Originally Posted by skateluvr View Post
    [...]

This was about overscoring and how it is not fair to many gifted skaters. And how IJS was supposed to remedy this. Anonymity in judging is a serious flaw. When you turn things personal you can expect it back. Interesting you have nothing to say about YuNa's Zagreb outing which was overscored considering the GP finalists and the medalists. This was not the YuNa who skated last year. She deserved to be WC last year. Zagreb scoring was not earned. This is what the thread is about. reputation scoring and the Olympics. Julia may get home field advantage, but they won't give her rep points. She is technically good but does not have the presence prettykeys spoke of with YuNa and Kostner. They are women, and I think since 2002, they want a woman, not a 15 year old. JMO.
    Why bring up Yuna's scores in particular, though, as if she were held up the same way as Chan when that is obviously not the case? Mao has been scoring at the same level as she did in Zagreb this season with hardly a perfect performance as well. Yuna's scores are not particularly any more inflated than either Chan or Mao for that matter. Neither girl can sustain as many mistakes and still score as high Patrick. It's very dubious that you should drag Yuna into the same conversation. She deserves every ounce of gold got at Worlds or Olympics. Chan, on the other hand, is a different matter. The two are hardly comparable, other than being the top dog in their respective discipline.

Can I just say.....

Custard Title
    Quote Originally Posted by cooper View Post
    so, what's the purpose again with this thread? seriously this whole complaining about over-scoring of yuna as if she's the only one who received is just hypocritical.. EVERYONE had experiences of over-scoring..

and for crying out loud Zagreb is a B tournament.. it happened every year with over-scoring.. get over it!
    I agree - Yuna clearly deserved to win and it's not like she was the only one getting overscored in that competition. Miki was also getting gifts as a 2-time World Champion whose reputation is on a higher level than Golden Spin. Mao's scores have been fluffed up at every competition this season in accordance with Olympic season inflation. Julia won CoR with crazy inflated scores. At least when Yuna gets overscored, she still deserves to win the competition by a big margin, which is more than we can say for Mao (2012 NHK) or Julia (2013 CoR). Historically, whenever it looks like Yuna might get propped up to a victory she doesn't deserve, she has the graciousness to drop the gold medal onto someone else's waiting neck (like to Miki in 2011).

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Mathman View Post
    Wait. It is? I thought it was about performance qualities that you can see live that are not so apparent when you see them on TV. Hence the question in the title of the thread.
    You see now why I responded the way I did? I did not just take the title at face value, I knew exactly where skateluvr wanted to steer this conversation.

Well…we are here to discuss skating, not each other, so I will chime in with a comment on Patrick Chan. (Poor Patrick is being neglected so far on this thread. )

When Patrick burst on the scene five or six years ago he brought something unique to the table. He was the first skater to understand what the new judging system was about. In a sense, the IJS was the ISU's acknowledgment that they went too far when they eliminated figures from figure skating -- that basic blade-to-ice skills were indeed the heart of the sport after all. Then when he added the quad, he really did have a fall advantage on the field.

Now others are catching up. We'll see.
    Well said.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Minze2001 View Post
    But, for you to attack Mao fans and claim that neither them nor Mao have evolve is condescending IMO.
    I think I only said Mao ubers, and by that I mean the people who like Mao best blindly no matter what. I was not speaking about rational people who may have a preference for her over other skaters. Anyone is entitled to like their favorites; however, it doesn't entitle people to say that other skaters (like Yuna) are always overscored or otherwise undeserving of their wins, which is exactly where skateluvr was trying to go with this thread.

Quote Originally Posted by Ven View Post
    I think I only said Mao ubers, and by that I mean the people who like Mao best blindly no matter what. I was not speaking about rational people who may have a preference for her over other skaters. Anyone is entitled to like their favorites; however, it doesn't entitle people to say that other skaters (like Yuna) are always overscored or otherwise undeserving of their wins.
    And the same thing can be said about Yuna Kim ubers, they like Yuna Kim blindly. So you see it goes both ways.

Custard Title
    Quote Originally Posted by Ven View Post
    It doesn't entitle people to say that other skaters (like Yuna) are always overscored or otherwise undeserving of their wins, which is exactly where skateluvr was trying to go with this thread.
    That's a cynical way to think of it. True, half the threads here degenerate into that kind of thing, but maybe it wouldn't have been so fast if you hadn't decided to post about how utterly inferior Mao Asada is in your opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by Minze2001 View Post
    And the same thing can be said about Yuna Kim ubers, they like Yuna Kim blindly. So you see it goes both ways.
    Not helping...

That was the purported reason. Of course, when you bring together the topics of Chan, Kim and PCS over-scoring, each a lightning a rod in figure skating forums, the results are so obvious you cannot help but doubt the expressed intent.

Banned
    Well, sure, but if you are a Mao fan, you have to recognize that from the results and performances Yuna has passed all the other skaters. You may have a preference for Mao or some other skater, but you can't objectively say they are better than Yuna and she's unfairly scored higher. You see my point?

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by CarneAsada View Post
    but maybe it wouldn't have been so fast if you hadn't decided to post about how utterly inferior Mao Asada is in your opinion.
    From reading the OP and skateluvr's history of always attacking Yuna in a backhand way, I knew exactly where this thread was going. Skateluvr even slipped up and Mathman called them out on it.

Custard Title
    Quote Originally Posted by Krislite View Post
    That was the purported reason. Of course, when you bring together the topics of Chan, Kim and PCS over-scoring, each a lightning a rod in figure skating forums, the results are so obvious you cannot help but doubt the expressed intent.
    How far does that purported reason carry us, anyway? Asking people to explain how Yuna Kim and Patrick Chan are better live? For that, words are useless!

Quote Originally Posted by CarneAsada View Post
    That's a cynical way to think of it. True, half the threads here degenerate into that kind of thing, but maybe it wouldn't have been so fast if you hadn't decided to post about how utterly inferior Mao Asada is in your opinion.

Not helping...
    Yes like you bring it up past "over scores" of Mao did not help either. Sorry if I think that saying Mao and her fans have not evolve and are like people who wear clothes from 1970 is offensive.

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast