Chinese Nationals 2013-2014 Dec 28-29 | Page 3 | Golden Skate

Chinese Nationals 2013-2014 Dec 28-29

hanca

Record Breaker
:confused: Sui/Han's basic skating isn't good and their postures and lines are poor but they have almost always shown well choreographed programs, skated to the music, with a lot of transitions. And this season is no exception. Well, the programs are probably watered down a bit, compared to what they've shown in the past but they're still decent.

I would agree that S/H have almost always shown well choreographed programs, skated to the music, with a lot of transitions. (you forgot to add that the programs were such a masterpiece that they had to keep them for ages, but never mind). However, does it really matter if it is a well choreographed program and whether there are transitions or not if the skaters scratch during their crosovers so badly that you can hear it over the music up to the last row? (That's my observations from Nice.) Sui also seemed to have some head bobble while doing her crossovers - as if her head was connected to her legs and she couldn't keep it still while doing crossovers. Something like that should never happen to world junior champions and to 4CC champions. These are basic issues; that should have been sorted out when a person start skating, not when they compete internationally at senior level. I do admit that the last year while they sit out the majority of the season, some work had probably been done on their basics because it is not as painful as it was, but in comparison with Peng/Zhang, they are still lacking and in my view they do deserve much lower PCS.

FSGMT

Record Breaker
:confused: Sui/Han's basic skating isn't good and their postures and lines are poor but they have almost always shown well choreographed programs, skated to the music, with a lot of transitions. And this season is no exception. Well, the programs are probably watered down a bit, compared to what they've shown in the past but they're still decent.

Peng/Zhang's skating skills are a bit better, yeah, but not great either. They have definitely improved their postures and lines a lot and their movement is much more refined. But then, they don't have the projection and attack that Sui/Han show. So yeah, I could understand SS and PE being a bit higher but not significantly. Now that I look at their SP in more detail, the way it is laid out, the upper body movement in between the elements, I haven't given them enough credit. It's a very decent program. What really is grating, however, is how off-time P/Z's movements seem to be. It's like they aren't even trying to skate to the music.

Having said all that, I really don't think that the judges actually care and think about stuff like this (and I don't necessarily blame them given the lack of time and tools). They just give out one mark based on a general impression and slightly 'vary' it. Since P/Z got clearly higher PCS scores in both programs, despite having lower TES, then either the judges focused a lot on the things P/Z are better at, instead of looking at the bigger picture, or P/Z are now seen as a better team, having made the GPF and being Yao Bin's favourites out of the two teams.
:agree::clap: