Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast

Thread: Who is everyone's guess for ladies podium-can Ashley take bronze?

Do I hear a bee in here?

Skateluvr and Ven, the other members of the forum would be grateful if you would put each other on "ignore." Here's how:

http://www.goldenskate.com/forum/sho...-Other-Posters

Quote Originally Posted by Mathman View Post
    Skateluvr and Ven, the other members of the forum would be grateful if you would put each other on "ignore." Here's how:

http://www.goldenskate.com/forum/sho...-Other-Posters
    Thank you.

With Pleasure!

Everyone speak about Ashley´s black swan program as a great program, but I hate it , really, those arm movements in her spiral , I prefer her S/D, it was great, I watched her TEB performance over and over , and I loved her yellow dress too.

I think people like Black Swan so much is because it was the first vehicle Ashley ever had that gave her the power and confidence to make her mark in skating. Hard not to think of it fondly if you're a fan!

I liked her S/D program and dress, too!

she takes the audience on her journey of emotions Layfan's Avatar
    I hate to say it but I also disliked her Swan program, although I recognize that she liked it and it gave her confidence. I hardly ever like anyone's swan skates. Swan Lake is the quintessentially difficult ballet. You just can't pull it off unless nature chose you to be a swan. I didn't hate Sasha's Swan Lake but I didn't love it either. Somehow, it left me cold.

Anyway, I loved Ashley's S/D and her SP from last year even more. I also like Romeo and Juliet. It's true what some people are saying that I don't exactly get Juliet from her but somehow it doesn't bother me. She does well to the music and at least Juliet is a person so there's no need to pretend to be a bird, which again, is so hard to pull off.

Quote Originally Posted by sporkwhatspork View Post
    Yeah, but I thought that the 2010 experience was that way because Yuna had won gold and at that point she had nothing to prove anymore. I think when she talked about how empty she felt, it was because, well, she'd just won the most major award for her sport, so...now what?

If on the other hand she lands off the podium in Sochi, she might feel like she does have something left to prove.

ETA: Of course this is all just speculation on my part!
    She was forced to go to the worlds in 2010 by her federation.

Quote Originally Posted by skateluvr View Post
    The question was about Ashley, but there she goes again...
    I thought the question was already answered by many people?

Quote Originally Posted by Layfan View Post
    I hate to say it but I also disliked her Swan program, although I recognize that she liked it and it gave her confidence. I hardly ever like anyone's swan skates. Swan Lake is the quintessentially difficult ballet. You just can't pull it off unless nature chose you to be a swan. I didn't hate Sasha's Swan Lake but I didn't love it either. Somehow, it left me cold.

Anyway, I loved Ashley's S/D and her SP from last year even more. I also like Romeo and Juliet. It's true what some people are saying that I don't exactly get Juliet from her but somehow it doesn't bother me. She does well to the music and at least Juliet is a person so there's no need to pretend to be a bird, which again, is so hard to pull off.
    You're not alone. I didn't like her Swan program either. I thought her arms looked really stiff and it didn't feel very swan-like. I also don't like R&J either. Last year's LP was better, but it's still not my favorite. I prefer her short over long.

Ashley is competing with her past two years

I think I said it before, and that was that Ashley had great rapport with Philip Mills. I really think Ashley is not letting us down this year. She is taking a risk with her SP choice. It is good, but not as good as the last two years were. Most of the ladies are competing with programs that are not as memorable as Ashley's LPs. We are comparing her more to BSwan or S/D than current LPs. I like both her Juliet costumes. I think she should skate to the music, not try to be Juliet. I wanted her to keep Swan. No one liked the idea, but the loss of Mills has taken the edge off her programs, but she will skate with power. I think skating cleanly with precision could win the bronze.

But she doesn't have to embody Juliet. Not needed to interpret.

Quote Originally Posted by skateluvr View Post
    I think I said it before, and that was that Ashley had great rapport with Philip Mills. I really think Ashley is not letting us down this year. She is taking a risk with her SP choice. It is good, but not as good as the last two years were. Most of the ladies are competing with programs that are not as memorable as Ashley's LPs. We are comparing her more to BSwan or S/D than current LPs. I like both her Juliet costumes. I think she should skate to the music, not try to be Juliet. I wanted her to keep Swan. No one liked the idea, but the loss of Mills has taken the edge off her programs, but she will skate with power. I think skating cleanly with precision could win the bronze.

But she doesn't have to embody Juliet. Not needed to interpret.
    If she's not embodying Juliet or interpret anything (I'm not sure what you're trying to say there), why is she even skating to any music at all?

Custard Title
    Quote Originally Posted by Nadia01 View Post
    If she's not embodying Juliet or interpret anything (I'm not sure what you're trying to say there), why is she even skating to any music at all?
    She doesn't have to embody Juliet. She could also portray Romeo. Just like Hanyu seems to be portraying Juliet, or all the female skaters going for character portrayal to the tune of Nessun Dorma are apparently doing Calaf.

Quote Originally Posted by CarneAsada View Post
    She doesn't have to embody Juliet. She could also portray Romeo. Just like Hanyu seems to be portraying Juliet, or all the female skaters going for character portrayal to the tune of Nessun Dorma are apparently doing Calaf.
    I don't think she HAS to. But she has to interpret SOMETHING and bring SOMETHING to the ice. I was questioning what skateluvr meant by "not needed to interpret"

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by Nadia01 View Post
    You're not alone. I didn't like her Swan program either. I thought her arms looked really stiff and it didn't feel very swan-like. I also don't like R&J either. Last year's LP was better, but it's still not my favorite. I prefer her short over long.
    My impression was always that Ashley was portraying a character from the movie Black Swan. Though I didn't see the film, I gather one of the dancers kind of becomes unhinged after obsessing on the role of the Swan, and the jerky "wing" movements stem from the film portrayal. I didn't love this program either, but it certainly marked a watershed moment for Ashley as a confident skater.

Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast