Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast

Thread: Who is everyone's guess for ladies podium-can Ashley take bronze?

Quote Originally Posted by Olympia View Post
    My impression was always that Ashley was portraying a character from the movie Black Swan. Though I didn't see the film, I gather one of the dancers kind of becomes unhinged after obsessing on the role of the Swan, and the jerky "wing" movements stem from the film portrayal. I didn't love this program either, but it certainly marked a watershed moment for Ashley as a confident skater.
    I know it's not Swan Lake. And it's not the jerky movements I object to, but I felt that her movements were more stiff than jerky.

I thought she skated it confidently, and that season really worked wonders for her career. But I'm not sure where she's going w/ her programs this season because I honestly don't get her LP -- I'm not moved by it or connected by it. I'm not certain that skating it error-free is going to fix the lack of connection and interpretation. I feel like she could've skated in complete silence and it wouldn't have made that much difference in connection.

Custom Title
    Oh she was clearly interpreting the movie that had just come out. Which was a fiery modern take on an otherwise played out piece. Although, yes, now it certainly is played out. No more swans, thanks! Hopefully every time a coach suggests Black Swan the skater immediately shuts it down.

Custom Title
    My dream podium is:
    Gold: Anyone but Yu Na (so Mao, most likely)
    Silver/Bronze: Yu Na/Ashley

My realistic podium
    Gold: Yu Na
    Silver: Mao
    Bronze: Carolina

Quote Originally Posted by CarneAsada View Post
    She doesn't have to embody Juliet. She could also portray Romeo. Just like Hanyu seems to be portraying Juliet, or all the female skaters going for character portrayal to the tune of Nessun Dorma are apparently doing Calaf.
    Why people are saying Yuzu is trying portray Julieta ? It is a kind of joke?, he said something about it?, or in what moment in the coreography he seems portray her?

Is it the whole feminine blouse thing? I have no idea what the costume means, but consensus was negative on his outfit in the costume thread. It is always better to be understated than overstated. The red dress Julia L. is wearing is a big hit on the boards because it is appropriate, understated, age appropriate. She is miles ahead of her compatriots on the costume thing. It really does matter, in some programs more than others.

I really have like Ashley's costume choices and I think her Black Swan was brilliant. Was there a more memorable costume that year? Not for me. This year it hasn't been such a great blend of music, choreo and costume but her skating is good and if she can control her nerves and skate what she does in practice, it will be very good indeed.

I so hope for bronze, but I think there are 3 skaters the judges want on the podium, and a huge threat from Julia in Russian soil. Akiko doesn't have a great LP like "O" which to me is an Olympic program. If I had a dream podium, it would be those who are good and I think underscored. Because she has worked so hard, for so long, I'd like to see Caro have her life skate on Olympic ice. Whatever she gets -well, we can't control judges, I just want her to be free of nerves and skate with the joy we have seen the last few seasons. I'd like to se Akiko skate great and may the judges be generous to her. I hope osmund comes back and does well. And if Julia does get the bronze medal as many feel is very possible, I hope she skates that program from her heart. It is impossible I thought for her to skate this music with genuine understanding. I just hope she concentrates on that music as it mean a lot to very many people.

I don't think Grace has special programs that show her to advantage, but I sure hope she finds the fun in Sochi that Sarah and and Tara did. Grace likes to come from behind, as we saw last year at Nationals. Naturally, I'd like to see a lady from USA do well. I have always found Ashley worthy and deserving. She is now a woman out there, and she really can skate to most any type of music. May it be rewarded. She wants it so badly.

Quote Originally Posted by skateluvr View Post
    Is it the whole feminine blouse thing? I have no idea what the costume means, but consensus was negative on his outfit in the costume thread. .
    It is possible people are saying this just because his costume ??? it is absurd , and it is very common men´s costumes look femenine with the design and all the sparkly things and even so people don´t say that. I have more problem with Machida´s costume (firebird), it is horrible.

Forever stuck on those steps Li'Kitsu's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by chapis
    Why people are saying Yuzu is trying portray Julieta ? It is a kind of joke?, he said something about it?, or in what moment in the coreography he seems portray her?
    His blouse matched with lacking creativity to come up with better jokes I guess. He doesn't portray Juliet

Custom Title
    Yuna and Mao will win gold and silver, in whichever order, baring some very strange circumstances.

Bronze is a battle between Julia, Caro, and Ashley, with Akiko as a potential spoiler, and MAYBE Adelina but only because it's in Russia and only if Adelina goes clean and everyone else in contention makes mistakes. (I don't consider Gracie, Mirai, Kanako, Liza, etc. to be in the mix for a medal, they really aren't IMO)

Quote Originally Posted by chapis View Post
    It is possible people are saying this just because his costume ??? it is absurd , and it is very common men´s costumes look femenine with the design and all the sparkly things and even so people don´t say that. I have more problem with Machida´s costume (firebird), it is horrible.
    agreed... Machida's is ugly :-p

Hanyu's is too generic of a certain type of male skater (which is no surprise given who designed it), but it's not as bad and negative as a small few have made it out to be.

Toni, has anyone -anyone-said they liked poor Yuzu's costume? Poor kid-Johnny's fashion victim. Machida's second toned down costume isn't too bad. Costume 1 was very similar to Flatt's. I loved it on her, tho.

Forever stuck on those steps Li'Kitsu's Avatar
    There is at least one person who likes Yuzurus costume. Yuzuru himself. And that's the important part.

Beliver in Sasha's Perfect Program Tinymavy15's Avatar
    I for 1 loved Machida's Firebird outfit with the feathers. It was perfect for the program.

Wicked Yankee Girl dorispulaski's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by chapis View Post
    I didn't entirely love Machida's costume although his skating has been so impressive this year!

It
    http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-hawdPodU1f...ukiMachida.jpg

sort of reminds me of this
    http://images.clipartof.com/Royalty-...1024440721.jpg

and not so much of this
    http://angeliqueminiatures.files.wor...bird-large.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by dorispulaski View Post
    I didn't entirely love Machida's costume although his skating has been so impressive this year!

It
    http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-hawdPodU1f...ukiMachida.jpg

sort of reminds me of this
    http://images.clipartof.com/Royalty-...1024440721.jpg

and not so much of this
    http://angeliqueminiatures.files.wor...bird-large.jpg

Thank you dorispulaski for giving me my first laugh of the day. The visual descriptions are hilarious.

Quote Originally Posted by Li'Kitsu View Post
    There is at least one person who likes Yuzurus costume. Yuzuru himself. And that's the important part.
    Make that two people! I like it too. And you're right, as long as he likes it, that's what's most important. A skater needs to feel comfortable in what he/she is wearing.

Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast