Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Mao Asada's skating type

Medalist
    Quote Originally Posted by cinnamon View Post
    This is from Eurosport Commentary Team thread, YesWay's post after Skate America:
    "Who was the lady commentator? I checked Mao's FS (to spot myself in the audience haha), and she was saying that Mao's FS consisted of skating from one end of the rink to the other and back... "with nothing in between"... and she'd like to see Mao putting in more content O_o Erm... WHAT?! If that was a joke, it went over my head. I was not impressed by her general tone and manner, and she is no kind of substitute for King Simon."

So for some people Mao's skating lacks "emotion you feel thick in the air".

And Aoshima's problematic criticism on Mao was about she pursued her dream to achieve two 3As in her LP (all together three 3As) in Vancouver, instead of prioritized to win. Her point was when Mao was presenting Japan, she had to prioritize to win the game.
    (Then I'm interested in what she is going to write about this in her next article this time.)
    Some Japanese people praised the writer she wasn't scared to say what she said, some believed she said it out of love toward fellow Japanese skater's future improvement, some said she tried to provoke to get more people's attention. While of course Mao's fans disliked it.
    Among her writings which I've read, I believe she wishes all Japanese skaters' success.
    It's not only the Eurosport Commentary Team or Aoshima. Maybe King Simon himself had to say the same thing as this lady commentator. All Japanese TV broadcasts and newspaper sports journalism practically kicked and panched and bashed everything about Mao severly since Kim Yu Na reappeared. Mao is childish and inferior and should humbly follow Queen Kim's skating style etc,etc. Thick emotional air? depends on the taste of viewers. I loved Mao's LP and SP for 2012-13. I think her Swan Lake will become another legend. If you discount it because it is balletic, that's OK.
    Quads are now mandatory for men. Somehow Mao is hated only because she would not give up 3As.

Custom Title
    It's beyond me how anyone can see Mao's skating as lacking in emotion. Her emotional quality is one of the things I most admire in her, along with her perseverance.

Medalist
    Quote Originally Posted by pec0 View Post
    It's not only the Eurosport Commentary Team or Aoshima. Maybe King Simon himself had to say the same thing as this lady commentator. All Japanese TV broadcasts and newspaper sports journalism practically kicked and panched and bashed everything about Mao severly since Kim Yu Na reappeared. Mao is childish and inferior and should humbly follow Queen Kim's skating style etc,etc. Thick emotional air? depends on the taste of viewers. I loved Mao's LP and SP for 2012-13. I think her Swan Lake will become another legend. If you discount it because it is balletic, that's OK.
    Quads are now mandatory for men. Somehow Mao is hated only because she would not give up 3As.
    This is very surprising to hear. Are you talking about a few specific Japanese news outlets or commentators in particular? From the few news reports I see every year, the people seem positive towards Mao. In fact, they seem positive towards every skater (but then again, I can't actually understand what they're saying).

Quote Originally Posted by cinnamon View Post
    This is from Eurosport Commentary Team thread, YesWay's post after Skate America:
    "Who was the lady commentator? I checked Mao's FS (to spot myself in the audience haha), and she was saying that Mao's FS consisted of skating from one end of the rink to the other and back... "with nothing in between"... and she'd like to see Mao putting in more content O_o Erm... WHAT?! If that was a joke, it went over my head. I was not impressed by her general tone and manner, and she is no kind of substitute for King Simon."
    Direct commentary quote:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VS90gggO56Q&t=5m05s

Nicky Slater(?): Skated like a champion! It wasn't perfect; some of those jumps not as high as we've seen them. Is it enough? She's got a good lead--Ashley Wagner in second place, Elena Radionova in third ...

Joanne Conway: I don't know, actually, looking at that. She did great elements. She skated well, but I got of [...] up, down, up, down, with nothing majorly happening in between. A lot of skating to jump, jump, jump--whereas the others had charisma within the program, the choreography ... I'm not so sure.

Slater: You know, to me, after the short program, I was left--there was no doubt, just fantastic ... there just wasn't the same confidence [tonight] somehow, and the quality in some of the elements ... [(cannot decipher)] ... she doesn't look that enamored with the overall performance.
    I don't think the Conway was bashing Mao at all. Mao's long program was not her cup of tea, but she did point out some nice things about Mao's technical ability. And I think that's understandable. Not every skater appeals to every person. But also, Conway did point out that Mao was capable of giving "more" as demonstrated by her step sequence--which I don't think is too much to ask--and that she would like Mao to show more of that. So really, I think she was commenting on what Mao could improve on. Slater also added that he didn't think Mao was skating with the same abandon (for lack of a better word) that she had in the short program at that event.

For me, personally, I love the fluidity with which Mao skates, but she does look like she's concentrating much too hard on the next element in the list and it does show on her face--that's where "lack of emotion on her face" comes from. But on the occasion that she lets that part go, she is even more of a joy to watch.
    Last edited by aftertherain; 12-16-2013 at 02:58 AM. Reason: "Lady" --> Joanne Conway (Thanks, Doris!)

Wicked Yankee Girl dorispulaski's Avatar
    The lady commentator was Joanne Conway, who was British ladies champion between 1986 and 1992, with the exception of 1990.

Medalist
    Quote Originally Posted by BounceAround View Post
    This is very surprising to hear. Are you talking about a few specific Japanese news outlets or commentators in particular? From the few news reports I see every year, the people seem positive towards Mao. In fact, they seem positive towards every skater (but then again, I can't actually understand what they're saying).
    Every one of them concentrated explain on Kim Yu Na's success and Mao's failure.The leader is Japan Skate Federation where Amano Shin is one of key persons. Aoshima is known by hate comments on Mao. It was said a bit weired. Japan and Korea are different country, but comments and pics on Kim Yu Na inserted in every sports news. Although journalism in Japan changed a bit from this season. Some started to value Mao's efforts.

Quote Originally Posted by aftertherain View Post
    I don't think the Conway was bashing Mao at all. Mao's long program was not her cup of tea, but she did point out some nice things about Mao's technical ability. And I think that's understandable. Not every skater appeals to every person. But also, Conway did point out that Mao was capable of giving "more" as demonstrated by her step sequence--which I don't think is too much to ask--and that she would like Mao to show more of that. So really, I think she was commenting on what Mao could improve on. Slater also added that he didn't think Mao was skating with the same abandon (for lack of a better word) that she had in the short program at that event.
    That's what Aoshima is talking about, I think. People here use the word "style", but she is talking about "type" of person who Mao is, which reflects on her skating.

Custom Title
    I think I'll take Mao's explanation of why she sticks with the 3A - she considers it her signature, and she wants to give a performance she herself can be proud of at the Olympics (which I imagine means she wants to land 3A in the SP, and two 3A's in the FS...)

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2