Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 19

Thread: Odd schedule US Nationals 2014

  1. #1
    Custom Title CoyoteChris's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Spokane
    Posts
    1,427

    Odd schedule US Nationals 2014

    Is it me (again) or is the Boston Nats schedule rather odd....?
    All Junior level short programs are in the convention center on temporary ice. With Bleachers.
    There are only three days of comp. at the Main arena, the TD. Thurs, Frid. and Sat.
    The shuttle bus, if I read things correctly, will only start going to the TD on Wednesday, where, I hope, we shall be
    admitted for practice. Is that how you see it?

  2. #2
    Custom Title MFarone's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Posts
    398
    There are 4 days of competition at TD Garden: Thurs, Fri, Sat, and Sunday (Mens FS) and Skating Spectacular. The practice schedule seems to be kind of late this year, but skaters always get one practice on competition ice before their competition so I think on Wednesday we will be able to attend practices at TD Garden.

    I read on FSU that the seating at BCEC will have backs and that is where most of the Junior and Novice events will be held. I'm wondering if this will be like the seating in Greensboro at the downstairs venue - kind of like raised platforms with actual chairs with backs. Guess this costs a lot more to rent than just plain bleachers.

    Some of the practices will be held at Skating Club of Boston and that does have bench seating and there is a warning that seating is limited. Also, the way I read line 4 of the shuttle schedule is that there will be 1 shuttle to Skating Club of Boston 30 minutes prior to practices and 1 shuttle back to the hotels 30 minutes after the practice ends. I'm going to question this with the LOC because I don't want to spend that much time sitting on bleachers, or they will need a crane to get me upright again

  3. #3
    Custom Title CoyoteChris's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Spokane
    Posts
    1,427
    Thanks! You have to watch me every minute... Yes, you are right...I missed the mens on Sunday....also, I see the PDF schedule V1.1 is now up on the website,,,,looks like Wed at the TD is going to be jam packed with practices I want to see...but don't look for me being there at 6 am for Junior dance practice.....glad there will be seating with backs at the BCEC...must think about a derrier pad if the seats aren't padded.
    Quote Originally Posted by MFarone View Post
    There are 4 days of competition at TD Garden: Thurs, Fri, Sat, and Sunday (Mens FS) and Skating Spectacular. The practice schedule seems to be kind of late this year, but skaters always get one practice on competition ice before their competition so I think on Wednesday we will be able to attend practices at TD Garden.

    I read on FSU that the seating at BCEC will have backs and that is where most of the Junior and Novice events will be held. I'm wondering if this will be like the seating in Greensboro at the downstairs venue - kind of like raised platforms with actual chairs with backs. Guess this costs a lot more to rent than just plain bleachers.

    Some of the practices will be held at Skating Club of Boston and that does have bench seating and there is a warning that seating is limited. Also, the way I read line 4 of the shuttle schedule is that there will be 1 shuttle to Skating Club of Boston 30 minutes prior to practices and 1 shuttle back to the hotels 30 minutes after the practice ends. I'm going to question this with the LOC because I don't want to spend that much time sitting on bleachers, or they will need a crane to get me upright again

  4. #4
    Custom Title MFarone's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Posts
    398
    I'm glad the practice schedule is finally out. I haven't looked for the groups for the skaters, but I'll check later.

    What the LOC said about the shuttle to SCOB is that it will depart from the Westin Hotel in the Seaport district once an hour. It is 30 minutes to the SCOB and then the shuttle will make the return trip to the Westin. It makes this circuit the entire time senior practices are scheduled. If you are at another hotel (such as the Seaport) you will have to walk over or ride the other shuttle from the Seaport to the Westin. The first shuttle of the day will depart the Westin 30 min. prior to the first practice at SCOB. The last shuttle will depart the SCOB 30 after the end of practice.

    If there are 2 distinct practice times....say early morning then a 3 or 4 hour break...and then another set of practices the shuttle will not run in that large break. Thirty minutes after the morning session the shuttle will depart SCOB. In the afternoon 30 minutes before the afternoon/evening practices the shuttle will depart the Westin and run back and forth from Westin to SCOB and back to the Westin with the last shuttle leaving SCOB 30 after the end of those practices. If you have any questions, just ask and I will do my best to confuse you even more

    If I decide to do the shuttle to the SCOB, I will probably take the other shuttle between the Seaport and Westin. Boston got quite a bit of snow this weekend and if this persists, I would not take a chance on snowy icy sidewalks.

  5. #5
    Custom Title CoyoteChris's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Spokane
    Posts
    1,427
    Here in Spokane, we live with black ice....and you can really hurt yourself falling....don't ask me how I know this...
    I will have to think about seeing SCOB....that would be cool....but I have a feeling if it is like so many other clubs I have seen sectionals and regionals at, it probably is cold inside....and there is so much to see and do...
    Chris
    Quote Originally Posted by MFarone View Post
    I'm glad the practice schedule is finally out. I haven't looked for the groups for the skaters, but I'll check later.

    What the LOC said about the shuttle to SCOB is that it will depart from the Westin Hotel in the Seaport district once an hour. It is 30 minutes to the SCOB and then the shuttle will make the return trip to the Westin. It makes this circuit the entire time senior practices are scheduled. If you are at another hotel (such as the Seaport) you will have to walk over or ride the other shuttle from the Seaport to the Westin. The first shuttle of the day will depart the Westin 30 min. prior to the first practice at SCOB. The last shuttle will depart the SCOB 30 after the end of practice.

    If there are 2 distinct practice times....say early morning then a 3 or 4 hour break...and then another set of practices the shuttle will not run in that large break. Thirty minutes after the morning session the shuttle will depart SCOB. In the afternoon 30 minutes before the afternoon/evening practices the shuttle will depart the Westin and run back and forth from Westin to SCOB and back to the Westin with the last shuttle leaving SCOB 30 after the end of those practices. If you have any questions, just ask and I will do my best to confuse you even more

    If I decide to do the shuttle to the SCOB, I will probably take the other shuttle between the Seaport and Westin. Boston got quite a bit of snow this weekend and if this persists, I would not take a chance on snowy icy sidewalks.

  6. #6
    skating philosopher Mrs. P's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    The land of Agent Dale Cooper
    Posts
    8,663
    Quote Originally Posted by CoyoteChris View Post
    Here in Spokane, we live with black ice....and you can really hurt yourself falling....don't ask me how I know this...
    I will have to think about seeing SCOB....that would be cool....but I have a feeling if it is like so many other clubs I have seen sectionals and regionals at, it probably is cold inside....and there is so much to see and do...
    Chris
    Yeah, I think I'll stick to just seeing practices at TD Garden. And since I've managed Mr. P to come, I'm going to try to fit in lots of Boston stuff!

    Right now it's 53 degrees. Time to run!

  7. #7
    Custom Title Sochi_2014's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Location
    Boston, MA
    Posts
    160
    Quote Originally Posted by CoyoteChris View Post
    I will have to think about seeing SCOB....that would be cool....but I have a feeling if it is like so many other clubs I have seen sectionals and regionals at, it probably is cold inside....and there is so much to see and do...
    Chris
    The SCOB is a really historic rink, and it's super warm in there. I remember when I used to compete at the Boston Open, I would sweat bullets after my warm up. It's one of the warmest rinks in New England, if not the warmest. So don't let the cold deter you from going to see the rink! But yes, the seating is pretty limited. There's small bleachers on one side. But I don't know that a lot of fans would think to go see practices, so it might not be that crowded.

  8. #8
    Custom Title CoyoteChris's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Spokane
    Posts
    1,427
    OK, I am a bit confused...there is the old SCOB with the 1939 hanger/Quonset roof and then isn't there a brand new building on a new site? I guess it hasn't been built yet...
    http://www.thenext100years.org/
    Quote Originally Posted by Sochi_2014 View Post
    The SCOB is a really historic rink, and it's super warm in there. I remember when I used to compete at the Boston Open, I would sweat bullets after my warm up. It's one of the warmest rinks in New England, if not the warmest. So don't let the cold deter you from going to see the rink! But yes, the seating is pretty limited. There's small bleachers on one side. But I don't know that a lot of fans would think to go see practices, so it might not be that crowded.

  9. #9
    Custom Title Sochi_2014's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Location
    Boston, MA
    Posts
    160
    Quote Originally Posted by CoyoteChris View Post
    OK, I am a bit confused...there is the old SCOB with the 1939 hanger/Quonset roof and then isn't there a brand new building on a new site? I guess it hasn't been built yet...
    http://www.thenext100years.org/
    Yes, but they haven't started construction yet. I think they plan to start in 2014. But yes, the "old" SCOB is on Soldiers Field Road.

  10. #10
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Posts
    544
    CoyoteChris... yes... the schedule is VERY odd. In too many ways to mention. But I'll mention one way... Junior competitions are the red-headed stepchild of this Nationals. Finals at 8:30 am?

  11. #11
    Custom Title CoyoteChris's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Spokane
    Posts
    1,427
    Yes, that's true...I suppose lots of this is due to combining both nats into one and not wanting/or able to rent the TD for the whole week....
    Quote Originally Posted by waxel View Post
    CoyoteChris... yes... the schedule is VERY odd. In too many ways to mention. But I'll mention one way... Junior competitions are the red-headed stepchild of this Nationals. Finals at 8:30 am?

  12. #12
    Custom Title MFarone's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Posts
    398
    The practice groups are up! Schedule has been updated, however I didn't see any changes .

    Here is the link: http://www.boston2014.com/event-info/schedule/

  13. #13
    skating philosopher Mrs. P's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    The land of Agent Dale Cooper
    Posts
    8,663
    Quote Originally Posted by MFarone View Post
    The practice groups are up! Schedule has been updated, however I didn't see any changes .

    Here is the link: http://www.boston2014.com/event-info/schedule/
    Thanks for the link!

    Group A in the men is like a mini-reunion of the 2010 junior men podium with Max Aaron, Jason Brown and Scott Dyer. We're only missing Joshua Farris! Stephen Carriere is in that group too! It will be really interesting to see Max and Jason in the same group and how they compare.

  14. #14
    Custom Title CoyoteChris's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Spokane
    Posts
    1,427
    Oh Boy! I am tempted to put these pdfs on my phone or tablet but at the end of the day, I am a paper person...
    Anybody ever watch intermediate pairs practice?

  15. #15
    skating philosopher Mrs. P's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    The land of Agent Dale Cooper
    Posts
    8,663
    Quote Originally Posted by CoyoteChris View Post
    Oh Boy! I am tempted to put these pdfs on my phone or tablet but at the end of the day, I am a paper person...
    Anybody ever watch intermediate pairs practice?
    You can do both! Thanks for the reminder to put these in my Evernote...

    Won't be here to do so! :/

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •