Odd schedule US Nationals 2014 | Golden Skate

Odd schedule US Nationals 2014

CoyoteChris

Record Breaker
Is it me (again) or is the Boston Nats schedule rather odd....?
All Junior level short programs are in the convention center on temporary ice. With Bleachers.
There are only three days of comp. at the Main arena, the TD. Thurs, Frid. and Sat.
The shuttle bus, if I read things correctly, will only start going to the TD on Wednesday, where, I hope, we shall be
admitted for practice. Is that how you see it?

MFarone

Final Flight
Country
United-States
There are 4 days of competition at TD Garden: Thurs, Fri, Sat, and Sunday (Mens FS) and Skating Spectacular. The practice schedule seems to be kind of late this year, but skaters always get one practice on competition ice before their competition so I think on Wednesday we will be able to attend practices at TD Garden.

I read on FSU that the seating at BCEC will have backs and that is where most of the Junior and Novice events will be held. I'm wondering if this will be like the seating in Greensboro at the downstairs venue - kind of like raised platforms with actual chairs with backs. Guess this costs a lot more to rent than just plain bleachers.

Some of the practices will be held at Skating Club of Boston and that does have bench seating and there is a warning that seating is limited. Also, the way I read line 4 of the shuttle schedule is that there will be 1 shuttle to Skating Club of Boston 30 minutes prior to practices and 1 shuttle back to the hotels 30 minutes after the practice ends. I'm going to question this with the LOC because I don't want to spend that much time sitting on bleachers, or they will need a crane to get me upright again :laugh:

CoyoteChris

Record Breaker
Thanks! You have to watch me every minute...:laugh: Yes, you are right...I missed the mens on Sunday....also, I see the PDF schedule V1.1 is now up on the website,,,,looks like Wed at the TD is going to be jam packed with practices I want to see...but don't look for me being there at 6 am for Junior dance practice.....glad there will be seating with backs at the BCEC...must think about a derrier pad if the seats aren't padded.
There are 4 days of competition at TD Garden: Thurs, Fri, Sat, and Sunday (Mens FS) and Skating Spectacular. The practice schedule seems to be kind of late this year, but skaters always get one practice on competition ice before their competition so I think on Wednesday we will be able to attend practices at TD Garden.

I read on FSU that the seating at BCEC will have backs and that is where most of the Junior and Novice events will be held. I'm wondering if this will be like the seating in Greensboro at the downstairs venue - kind of like raised platforms with actual chairs with backs. Guess this costs a lot more to rent than just plain bleachers.

Some of the practices will be held at Skating Club of Boston and that does have bench seating and there is a warning that seating is limited. Also, the way I read line 4 of the shuttle schedule is that there will be 1 shuttle to Skating Club of Boston 30 minutes prior to practices and 1 shuttle back to the hotels 30 minutes after the practice ends. I'm going to question this with the LOC because I don't want to spend that much time sitting on bleachers, or they will need a crane to get me upright again :laugh:

MFarone

Final Flight
Country
United-States
I'm glad the practice schedule is finally out. I haven't looked for the groups for the skaters, but I'll check later.

What the LOC said about the shuttle to SCOB is that it will depart from the Westin Hotel in the Seaport district once an hour. It is 30 minutes to the SCOB and then the shuttle will make the return trip to the Westin. It makes this circuit the entire time senior practices are scheduled. If you are at another hotel (such as the Seaport) you will have to walk over or ride the other shuttle from the Seaport to the Westin. The first shuttle of the day will depart the Westin 30 min. prior to the first practice at SCOB. The last shuttle will depart the SCOB 30 after the end of practice.

If there are 2 distinct practice times....say early morning then a 3 or 4 hour break...and then another set of practices the shuttle will not run in that large break. Thirty minutes after the morning session the shuttle will depart SCOB. In the afternoon 30 minutes before the afternoon/evening practices the shuttle will depart the Westin and run back and forth from Westin to SCOB and back to the Westin with the last shuttle leaving SCOB 30 after the end of those practices. If you have any questions, just ask and I will do my best to confuse you even more :laugh:

If I decide to do the shuttle to the SCOB, I will probably take the other shuttle between the Seaport and Westin. Boston got quite a bit of snow this weekend and if this persists, I would not take a chance on snowy icy sidewalks.

CoyoteChris

Record Breaker
Here in Spokane, we live with black ice....and you can really hurt yourself falling....don't ask me how I know this...
I will have to think about seeing SCOB....that would be cool....but I have a feeling if it is like so many other clubs I have seen sectionals and regionals at, it probably is cold inside....and there is so much to see and do...
Chris
I'm glad the practice schedule is finally out. I haven't looked for the groups for the skaters, but I'll check later.

What the LOC said about the shuttle to SCOB is that it will depart from the Westin Hotel in the Seaport district once an hour. It is 30 minutes to the SCOB and then the shuttle will make the return trip to the Westin. It makes this circuit the entire time senior practices are scheduled. If you are at another hotel (such as the Seaport) you will have to walk over or ride the other shuttle from the Seaport to the Westin. The first shuttle of the day will depart the Westin 30 min. prior to the first practice at SCOB. The last shuttle will depart the SCOB 30 after the end of practice.

If there are 2 distinct practice times....say early morning then a 3 or 4 hour break...and then another set of practices the shuttle will not run in that large break. Thirty minutes after the morning session the shuttle will depart SCOB. In the afternoon 30 minutes before the afternoon/evening practices the shuttle will depart the Westin and run back and forth from Westin to SCOB and back to the Westin with the last shuttle leaving SCOB 30 after the end of those practices. If you have any questions, just ask and I will do my best to confuse you even more :laugh:

If I decide to do the shuttle to the SCOB, I will probably take the other shuttle between the Seaport and Westin. Boston got quite a bit of snow this weekend and if this persists, I would not take a chance on snowy icy sidewalks.

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
Here in Spokane, we live with black ice....and you can really hurt yourself falling....don't ask me how I know this...
I will have to think about seeing SCOB....that would be cool....but I have a feeling if it is like so many other clubs I have seen sectionals and regionals at, it probably is cold inside....and there is so much to see and do...
Chris

Yeah, I think I'll stick to just seeing practices at TD Garden. And since I've managed Mr. P to come, I'm going to try to fit in lots of Boston stuff! :)

Right now it's 53 degrees. Time to run! :)

Sochi_2014

On the Ice
Chris

The SCOB is a really historic rink, and it's super warm in there. I remember when I used to compete at the Boston Open, I would sweat bullets after my warm up. It's one of the warmest rinks in New England, if not the warmest. So don't let the cold deter you from going to see the rink! But yes, the seating is pretty limited. There's small bleachers on one side. But I don't know that a lot of fans would think to go see practices, so it might not be that crowded.

CoyoteChris

Record Breaker
OK, I am a bit confused...there is the old SCOB with the 1939 hanger/Quonset roof and then isn't there a brand new building on a new site? I guess it hasn't been built yet...
http://www.thenext100years.org/
The SCOB is a really historic rink, and it's super warm in there. I remember when I used to compete at the Boston Open, I would sweat bullets after my warm up. It's one of the warmest rinks in New England, if not the warmest. So don't let the cold deter you from going to see the rink! But yes, the seating is pretty limited. There's small bleachers on one side. But I don't know that a lot of fans would think to go see practices, so it might not be that crowded.

waxel

Final Flight
CoyoteChris... yes... the schedule is VERY odd. In too many ways to mention. But I'll mention one way... Junior competitions are the red-headed stepchild of this Nationals. Finals at 8:30 am?

CoyoteChris

Record Breaker
Yes, that's true...I suppose lots of this is due to combining both nats into one and not wanting/or able to rent the TD for the whole week....
CoyoteChris... yes... the schedule is VERY odd. In too many ways to mention. But I'll mention one way... Junior competitions are the red-headed stepchild of this Nationals. Finals at 8:30 am?

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
The practice groups are up! Schedule has been updated, however I didn't see any changes :think:.

Here is the link: http://www.boston2014.com/event-info/schedule/

Thanks for the link!

Group A in the men is like a mini-reunion of the 2010 junior men podium with Max Aaron, Jason Brown and Scott Dyer. We're only missing Joshua Farris! Stephen Carriere is in that group too! It will be really interesting to see Max and Jason in the same group and how they compare.

CoyoteChris

Record Breaker
Oh Boy! I am tempted to put these pdfs on my phone or tablet but at the end of the day, I am a paper person...
Anybody ever watch intermediate pairs practice? :eek:

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
Oh Boy! I am tempted to put these pdfs on my phone or tablet but at the end of the day, I am a paper person...
Anybody ever watch intermediate pairs practice? :eek:

You can do both! Thanks for the reminder to put these in my Evernote...

Won't be here to do so! :/

andyjo24

Medalist
Does anyone happen to know when the Ladies Free Skate event will end? It starts at 6:45pm, but there's no indication as to when it'll end. Thanks!

Jammers

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
What is with the schedule this year at Nationals? Jr Ladies LP isn't until Friday? The Junior events are usually over with before the Seniors take the ice for the first time. Seems like the Junior Ladies LP is usually in the middle of the week but this year it's in the morning at 8:45 AM? ***?

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
Does anyone happen to know when the Ladies Free Skate event will end? It starts at 6:45pm, but there's no indication as to when it'll end. Thanks!

According to the grid schedule, it scheduled to end a 11 PM with the ceremony to follow.