Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Olympic moments you will not forget

Olympic moments you will not forget

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...&v=Pw9XZAA72lw

I dedicate this to Sochi, and your skating dreams, as well as those like me with weak ankles. To inspire us and above all move up upward. Enjoy.

Share yours, there are great skaters in your heart.

Banned
    How old were you when Kennedy died??

Torvill and Dean's OGM. There was, of course, no YouTube back then so that in itself (that you were likely not to be able to ever see it if you missed the performance) made the experience even more profound.
    I have to say that when I saw their performance on YouTube years later, it was not as special as I remembered it! By the time I saw it on YouTube, I had been spoilt by more technically challenging programs.
    I must admit I remember seeing Grishuk and Platov's Jailhouse Rock and just being blown away by their technical superiority. I wasn't regularly watching figure skating then, but Jailhouse Rock is something that sticks in my memory.
    Still, Torvill and Dean's program was the first figure skating program that I saw that I believe deserved to be called an artistic performance, through and through.

Custom Title
    Dorothy Hamill, Katerina 88; Tara 98; Sarah 2002; Brian Boitano 88, Midori Ito 88, Brian Orser 88; Gordieva/ Grinkov 88 SP & LP (For me, the best pair performances of all time)

Virtue and Moir 2010 FD. I actually had my eyes closed during some of it, afraid to watch since I was worried that one of them would fall. I even felt sick with nerves for some of it!

Tripping on the Podium
    midori ito's second triple Axel at 3:10 in her free skate: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=polwvMNVgFU#t=212

Custom Title
    Elizabeth Manley's long and Paul Wylie's too and John Curry's win.

Sometimes bad skating happens to good people... LiamForeman's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Eddie Lee View Post
    Dorothy Hamill, Katerina 88; Tara 98; Sarah 2002; Brian Boitano 88, Midori Ito 88, Brian Orser 88; Gordieva/ Grinkov 88 SP & LP (For me, the best pair performances of all time)
    Yep, Eddie. Gordeeva and Grinkov in 88 were perfection, and she was gorgeous with that megawatt smile.

http://youtu.be/0B0tSnQKzwo

I know the pair was all about Katya, but Sergei was a gorgeous skater himself. So rock solid. Try watching just him, so smooth, and strong. A hunk of gorgeous Russian hair, face, bootay, and I'm not sure what undergarments he may or may not have been wearing, but I'd get out the rulebook to see if he deserved a costume deduction. Just perfect.

Yuna's win at Vancouver 2010, of course. For delivering two perfect performances at the most important competition in her athletic career.

Outdated Old Dinosaur
    The 1976 singles champions, Dorothy Hamill and John Curry, were the greatest one-two punch in history.

“Our blade takes us in the most amazing places.” skatingfan4ever's Avatar
    Oh goodness, so many. Michelle and Tara 1998, Lu Chen 1998, Sarah 2002, Yagudin 2002, B&A 2006 (I didn't even watch or care about Ice Dance before B&A), D&W and V&M 2010, entire Ladies Competition 2010 (it was so amazing how many ladies actually had the programs of their lives in Vancouver), S&Z and P&T 2010 (P&T came out of their shell and S&Z got their long-awaited OGM). I would add Lysacek 2010 too, even though his skating is not my cup of tea, because he skated well and actually beat Plushenko. In the same vein, Plushenko 2006 was amazing, but not necessarily "memorable" for me personally.

Well, I was too young to remember 1994, so that's all I've got.

I hope that when I return to this thread after Sochi, I will be able to add a few more memorable moments to my list. Wishing all the skaters the best of luck!

Rinkside
    Klimova & Ponomarenko finally getting their long awaited and much deserved Olympic Gold in 92. After it looked like their hopes might be dead after France Duchensays beat them for World title year before Olympics were going to be in France. How horrible that would be for them not to get it after waiting 8 years since their first Olympic medal for it.

Usova & Zhulin missing out on their long awaited Olympic Gold by .1 to Pasha & Platov. So sad. Torvill & Dean coming back was seen to be their biggest problem, but it was the Russian #2 who denied them, and went on to become legends.

Paul Wylie's surprise silver in 1992 Albertville. What a great momemt for him.

Yagudin winning the Olympic Gold he deserved and cementing her career as complete with an amazing skate and some perfect 6.0s. So special.

The Russians missing out on their hoped sweep and Slutskaya missing out on her long awaited Olympic Gold by falling in Turin. So sad especialy after she already threw the gold away in Salt Lake City.

Columnist
    There are quite a few moments that stuck in my head. Sasha Cohan 2002 was just beautiful, but so was Sarah when she laid down the flowers at Ground Zero. Kati in 1994 who didn't win a medal, I was crying all evening because of that. To my defense I still was a child back then, but the crying I still do sometimes...

In general both 2002 and 1994 were highly controversial in my opinion. I never agreed with the results there in the Lady´s bracket. Also what happened to Tanja Harding was a real shame.

But I will also never forget Tara Lipinski who just won a gold medal and then kissed goodbye to do movies. That's quite some tradition at the US I suppose, win gold and go home :D

Quote Originally Posted by AllYouDoIsTalk View Post
    How old were you when Kennedy died??
    I was eight and it barely registered for me. Now, the Cuban missile crisis, THAT was very memorable even to a young child trying to gleem what the heck everyone was nervous about.

Quote Originally Posted by YunaBliss View Post
    Yuna's win at Vancouver 2010, of course. For delivering two perfect performances at the most important competition in her athletic career.
    I loved NBC's camera work during her skate. Their different angles and focus, showed her lovely footwork to best effect and then, most especially, when it closed in on her lovely face at the conclusion of her final spin when she knew she had done it. As a Canadian I am supposed to be thinking hockey triumphs by our men and women but it was the grace and gratitude exhibited by Yu Na during that standing ovation that I shall never forget. I have seen many Olympics but that one in Vancouver was the one for me.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast