Javi and Denis' preparation going into the big O | Golden Skate

Javi and Denis' preparation going into the big O

supsu

On the Ice
So does anyone have any news on them?
I love Javi and i'm worried after his gp series... Has there been something of in his preparation or is he just slowly going towards the main goal..? Plus in the ice network interview a while back with Brian he said something like Javi isn't going for the gold (not even close in those words) but Yusu is. So i'm wondering if he's happy with his last year's success and not pushing it this season...?

Also, what about those programs? Should he do any changes to those? Are they limiting his abilities? I was upset when Dave L said the lp is a joke... I love the lp beginning but otherwise I don't like either of them as much as last year's lp.. Plus for some reason I dislike the sp outfit... those butt-thingies are distracting to me. AND also the same with his lp outfit... I get the point to his shirt, but it's not classy..

And then we have our lovely Denis Ten. He's had issues with injury, but i guess he's working hard and it's been showing in his competition outside gp. But is his programs good enough? And can he succeed at the Olympics? He's kind of having the same type of season as last year (health/boot/whatever issues and not doing so great) and I'm hoping he's saving his programs of his life (or at least season) to the games.

I loved his last seasons lp and I don't know about he's this seasons programs (probably because I haven't seen them that much yet).

Anyways please let's not bring our biggest gold medal candidates to this discussion (P & Y) because there's like a million threads to them already.. I think with Javi and Denis, the top results would be silver for either.. The men are always a bit wild to me and anything can happen, just not so much that one can win i think...

Kalina

On the Ice
Javi did an interview recently in Spanish, and he said he's not worried about how the Grand Prix season went, and that he's working towards Europeans and the Olympics. Brian wanted him to skip Nationals but it looks like his contract with the Spanish fed says that he has to be there, so now he's in Madrid and after that he'll go back to Toronto to train. He's thinking about going back to his Chaplin free program (he got some judges' feedback) but no one knows if he's done that or not. I guess we'll see in a few days what he's going to skate to at Nationals.
About him and Yuzuru, Orser said this summer that Javier just 'wants to do his best', and that Yuzuru wants gold.

I like Javi very much as a person, and I like to see him do well. But, he's not exactly the hardest worker out there (what Orser said in his interview to IFS back in August isn't exactly flattering, but he also said that after getting bronze in London he's gotten marginally better), and I don't think he sees himself as a contendent for the podium. Last year he said that he started believing he could be a top skater because Yuzuru, who came to train with him, looked at him like he was; Orser said that he could win a medal in London because he had people behind him believing that he could do it. It almost looks like he's lacking in self-confidence and focus sometimes, like he's not so sure about what he wants to achieve in his career. Or it could be that the pressure got to him.

I'm curious about Denis as well :) I hope he's feeling better now.

supsu

On the Ice
Wow, thanks Kalina! Great info on him! I've tried to watch some of his interviews but my Spanish isn't that great..

I like him so much and of course there can be the pressure this season too. I mean he did win the Euros and was 3rd at Worlds so it's a totally different situation for him now. A lot of expectation from his country and others. I just hope he's comfortable still with Brian and Yuzu. Very excited for the nationals!

It's the same with Denis too with pressure after last season i think.

Kalina

On the Ice
Wow, thanks Kalina! Great info on him! I've tried to watch some of his interviews but my Spanish isn't that great..

I like him so much and of course there can be the pressure this season too. I mean he did win the Euros and was 3rd at Worlds so it's a totally different situation for him now. A lot of expectation from his country and others. I just hope he's comfortable still with Brian and Yuzu. Very excited for the nationals!

It's the same with Denis too with pressure after last season i think.

You're welcome!

I think he's comfortable, or rather -- he hasn't said anything that suggests that he isn't. In his interview to Hielo Español he seemed to be very calm and optimistic, said that his bad showing at NHK Trophy (the interview was taken in France during TEB) wasn't due to anything in particular, but to the fact that skaters sometimes have bad competitions, sometimes good, and that was a bad one. He also said that he dreams of the Olympic podium but his main goal is skating two good programs, and after he does that he'll be satisfied even if he isn't on the podium (interviewer asks him if he's sure of this, he laughs and says yes). There is the possibility that they might ask him to carry Spain's flag in the Opening Ceremony but Brian doesn't want him to go to Sochi that early, he'd prefer having him train until it's possible.

ice coverage

Record Breaker
New tweets from Denis Ten ‏@Tenis_Den.

Сегодня делал МРТ. Надеюсь на следующей неделе приступить к ледовым тренировкам.
12:32 AM - 17 Dec 13
https://twitter.com/Tenis_Den/status/412862902782005248

Спасибо за ваши теплые сообщения! Очень хотелось выступить на Универсиаде несмотря ни на что, но команда не разрешила выходить на лед.
12:30 AM - 17 Dec 13
https://twitter.com/Tenis_Den/status/412862472534896640

Very rough translation (corrections welcome):
Today I did (had) MRI. I hope to start on-ice training the following week.
Thank you for your warm messages. I very much wanted to appear in the Universiade no matter what, but the team decided not to take the ice.

Jammers

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I think Denis has a reason for being a bit shaky this season. He's been injured. Javier has been healthy but just doesn't have it together this season.

wallylutz

Medalist
There is the possibility that they might ask him to carry Spain's flag in the Opening Ceremony but Brian doesn't want him to go to Sochi that early, he'd prefer having him train until it's possible.

Translation : "I worry that Javi may get "distracted" too much if he were to go to Sochi a little too early and stay at the Olympic Village. Think about it, there is a whole week between the opening ceremony, the Team Event and the Pairs before the Men take the stage. One can imagine what would likely happen when you put a cute guy in his prime in the Olympic village doing nothing..."

Violet Bliss

Record Breaker
Translation : "I worry that Javi may get "distracted" too much if he were to go to Sochi a little too early and stay at the Olympic Village. Think about it, there is a whole week between the opening ceremony, the Team Event and the Pairs before the Men take the stage. One can imagine what would likely happen when you put a cute guy in his prime in the Olympic village doing nothing..."
:laugh: So true. We all know those athletes do lots of "nothing " in the village.

I've always liked both these skaters way before their break outs. Denis always had great potential but had to deal with his growth spurt and had disappointing seasons before showing us what he was capable of when the stars aligned. He also seems wise and mature even at his age. His can be a complete package, an elegant one.

Jarvi is lovable and fun, which his coach has to reign in somewhat ;) He is a great entertainer and does best showing his personality on ice. However, he has some difficulties when not portraying a lovable iconic character (Chaplin, Captain Swallow....) IOW he doesn't do subtle well. OTOH he has great jumps when he is on.

I see the major issue for both is whether they truly believe in themselves so they can perform under much greater pressure and expectation after their break outs. Often a surprise medalist fades after a very touching display of joy of incredulity which is actually the major problem. They can't follow up with consistent excellence if they don't actually believe and accept that they are that good, on par with the best. The look of disbelief and overjoy may be fun and moving to watch but it represents a mental issue the skater has to work out. If a surprise win or major medal serves as a confidence booster s/he will then continue the ascent into the top rank. Doubts will drop them to struggle to get back up again.

Jaana

Record Breaker
Country
Finland
I think it´s surprising that Fernandez skated (and jumped) so well in that Japan summer competition. Maybe that got him distracted and he thought to be more consisted than what he actually was? Oh my, hopefully he is bringing back the Chaplin programme...

snowflake

I enjoy what I like
Record Breaker
What I remember from last seasons Denis often popped jumps and bombed. Wasn't worlds 2013 an exception when he skated well in both short and long? I'm surprised about Javier though. Maybe it's olympics or nothing for him. Anyway strange.... hope he comes back.

:laugh: So true. We all know those athletes do lots of "nothing " in the village.

I've never been in the village, so tell me.... :popcorn: