Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 36

Thread: New Olympic Champion?

  1. #1
    Custom Title Sochi_2014's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Location
    Boston, MA
    Posts
    160

    New Olympic Champion?

    Would you rather see a reigning Olympic gold medalist win the gold again? Or would you rather see someone new take the coveted title? The last woman to win back to back Olympic gold medals was Katarina Witt in 1984 and 1988. Then of course, there was Sonja Henie who won 3 Olympic gold medals 1928, 1932, and 1936.

    We quite possibly may have another back to back gold medalist with Yuna. It's very exciting to me, but I have mixed feelings. It has nothing to do with the skaters individually. In some ways, I hope someone else is able to pull through and win... whoever really.

    An Olympic gold medal is so special, that I almost think that it would be nice to give someone else a shot at winning, seeing as this is what these skaters work their whole lives for. However, at the same time, I think that it would be quite remarkable if Yuna could win again, and she would surely go down as one of the very best (as if she already wasn't!).

    Of course, the same question goes for Plushenko and his journey to Sochi, being the 2006 Olympic gold medalist. Other men's repeats have been Dick Button (1948 and 1952), Karl Schafer (1932 and 1936), and Gillis Grafstrom (1920, 1924, and 1928).

    I suppose that the best person should win at the end of the night, and if that's Yuna or Plushenko again, then good for them! (Although Plushenko's chance of doing so is very small) But in a way, I'd like to see someone else get a chance too What do you think? Skating takes such a toll on the body, that it is rare to see a repeat Olympic champion. Is it something that you'd like to see?

  2. #2
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Posts
    5,357
    It gets harder and harder to repeat an Olympic win because figure skating is much much more competitive these days with so many participants and talents from all over the world. The standard as a sport is also beyond imagination of Henie's era. Everything has to come together just right for an athlete during the total of less than 7 risk-filled minutes to earn that Gold Medal. Few skaters even have the chance of competing twice, let alone winning twice.

    Whoever brings it on the night will be the winner, regardless of all previous records. Winning twice will be extremely remarkable indeed.

  3. #3
    Custom Title spikydurian's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Posts
    978
    May the best skater of the day wins. I agree with Skatefiguring that repeats are getting less and less possible as harder skills are required to stand out, and all these take big toll on the body. But if Yuna wins (which I think she is capable of if she is in top form as in 2010), she will go down in history as the only woman with two OGMs. I think the likelihood of Plushenko medalling at Sochi individuals may not look so bright not because he is a lesser competitor but because of his many surgeries and age (like it or not, age does count in figure skating). All said, not winning any medals at Sochi does not equate to 'bad skater'. The stars just didn't align at the right time, in SF's words.
    All the best to the skaters. Just give it your best best, and you all are the best from your countries! Go go go.

  4. #4
    On the Ice
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Posts
    36
    she will go down in history as the only woman with two OGMs. 
    She wouldn't be. Katarina Witt has two and Sonja Henie has three (!). But Yuna would definitely be joining an exclusive circle.

    ETA:
    The standard as a sport is also beyond imagination of Henie's era. 
    Yeah, I do wonder if Henie would have managed to get three OGMs in today's climate. Not because she's not as good an athlete, but as you say, the emphasis on harder and harder jumps/skills nowadays takes a greater toll on the body than it did back then, I imagine.

  5. #5
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Posts
    3,524
    Quote Originally Posted by sporkwhatspork View Post
    Yeah, I do wonder if Henie would have managed to get three OGMs in today's climate. Not because she's not as good an athlete, but as you say, the emphasis on harder and harder jumps/skills nowadays takes a greater toll on the body than it did back then, I imagine.
    I think it could. Had it not been for the age restriction and Yuna, Mao could very possibly be shooting for her 3rd OGM as well. Obviously a lot has to go right for the skater but if you have a weaker field and a stand-out who starts winning young it is certainly possible.

  6. #6
    On the Ice
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Posts
    36
    Quote Originally Posted by drivingmissdaisy View Post
    Had it not been for the age restriction and Yuna, Mao could very possibly be shooting for her 3rd OGM as well.
    Good point. Makes me wince to think about how much their bodies must ache, though. But then again, I'm a wuss when it comes to pain.

  7. #7
    Six Point Zero Krislite's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Yunaverse
    Posts
    1,535
    Figure skating fans don't so much want a repeat or new champion, as they want their favorite to win. I'm sure those die-hard Kwan fans who want a "new" champion wouldn't have minded Kwan taking the 1998, 2002 and 2006 Olympic titles.

  8. #8
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Posts
    331
    Quote Originally Posted by Sochi_2014 View Post
    An Olympic gold medal is so special, that I almost think that it would be nice to give someone else a shot at winning, seeing as this is what these skaters work their whole lives for.
    In my view, this would make the gold medal less meaningful. This is the highest level of competition. You want the gold? Earn it. Be the best. When the best doesn't win, you're making a joke out of the sport, of the Olympics.

  9. #9
    Custom Title skateluvr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Posts
    2,578
    Quote Originally Posted by Krislite View Post
    Figure skating fans don't so much want a repeat or new champion, as they want their favorite to win. I'm sure those die-hard Kwan fans who want a "new" champion wouldn't have minded Kwan taking the 1998, 2002 and 2006 Olympic titles.
    I disagree Krislite, and politely ask if this is projection of your own feelins for YuNa or ideas re Kwanatics/nationalism. I thik here in USA, to show a different view, fs fans have had many OGMs and WCs. We are not the powerhouse we were.

    I tried to ask about fairness in judging. I think Americans, being mongrels,a melting pot of ethnicity, care more about FAIRNESS in judging, just to emphasize the sport. I liked Kwan very much. Lyra is an iconic Olympic FS and Tara out jumped her, then did present incredibly well. She was the WC. Michelle's ubers may want her to win all, but really, her shot was best in 98. All 3 ladies deserved gold-two from USA and Lu Chen. Michelle didn't skate well in 2002. I am happy Srah won with an incredible freeskate. It was fair, imo.

    2006, well, she could not have out jumped Arakawa, also elegant. Arakawa went safe-didn't have to even do a 3/3 to beat Sasha. I think most fs fans want fairness in judging. May the deserving win. I think we all want this. I don't think top skaters want a poltical gold, but maybe I am wrong.

    The original op question is not one many will touch due to possibility of upsetting YuNa's ubers who are many. I am sure they wish her gold again, and to return in 2018, which she might as well-in Korea-why not? Unless she is too injured to do her 3x3. She could be the male version of plush. May the best person win and for once, may all the judging be fair and wise. I think the one person who may pull the upset of YuNa is little Julia. And Russia will go wild for her. Otherwise, I see YuNa repeat by large margin. WC last year showed this likelihood.

  10. #10
    Rinkside
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    7
    If ISU/IOC gives OGM to make the reigning champion more famous and because of it they expect this sport becomes more popular, it's kinda comedy.

  11. #11
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Posts
    5,357
    I only spoke in general in my earlier post but, yes, I believe Yuna has a rare chance to accomplish this feat. She is mentally very strong with a winning habit. It would be highly unlikely for her to melt down or falter. If she is physically ready, has the jumps, then she will bring it. Only Mao has a chance of nudging her out of the top of the podium. Is Mao ready? Can she deliver reliably after these years of determined and dedicated training through all kinds of difficulties?

    In any case, it will be an exciting rematch between two very talented, very hard working, and very different young ladies.

  12. #12
    Long live the Queen! YunaBliss's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Posts
    443
    With respect, this is a stupid topic. In any sport, having a dominant athlete is a good thing. Think Usain Bolt. Do you want to spread out gold medals just so others can also be happy? Dynasty is good. Of course, Yuna has to earn it, but if she brings it, then I would want her to repeat as Olympic Champion even if I were not her fan.

  13. #13
    Custom Title Mathman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Location
    Detroit, Michigan
    Posts
    27,987
    Quote Originally Posted by Krislite View Post
    Figure skating fans don't so much want a repeat or new champion, as they want their favorite to win. I'm sure those die-hard Kwan fans who want a "new" champion wouldn't have minded Kwan taking the 1998, 2002 and 2006 Olympic titles.
    Here's what I wish. Michelle wins in 1994, 1998, 2002, and 2006. She's the fastest gun in the West. They are about to retire the Olympic gold medal and just not bother to award it any more.

    But wait…it's 2010…a new kid rides into town…it's High Noon at the OK Corral.

  14. #14
    can't come down to Earth prettykeys's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Posts
    1,801
    Quote Originally Posted by Krislite View Post
    Figure skating fans don't so much want a repeat or new champion, as they want their favorite to win. I'm sure those die-hard Kwan fans who want a "new" champion wouldn't have minded Kwan taking the 1998, 2002 and 2006 Olympic titles.
    I agree with you and I think you make an astute point.

    Of course we all want our favourites to win fairly. It still doesn't deny what outcomes particular fans hope for.

    I suppose if you're a figure skating fan who doesn't have a single fave, then you want the OGM to be passed around.

  15. #15
    Six Point Zero Krislite's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Yunaverse
    Posts
    1,535
    Athletes should be allowed to defend their title however many times they want to. Why exclude the Olympics? Because it's not "fair" given how many other athletes dedicate their lives for such a slim shot at gold? This kind of "unfairness" holds for all the big sports. It's inherent in the nature of competitive sports where there can only be one victor.

    On a related topic, perhaps a more interesting question would be,what would the IOC and ISU prefer? A new champion or a repeat champion? Repeat champions are big draws at the Olympics (think Michael Phelps, Usain Bolt, Shaun White, etc.), so the IOC might want a repeat to draw people to watch the Sochi games. On the other hand the ISU depends financially on drawing fans to ISU competitions such as Worlds, the Grand Prix series and Euros/4CC, so they might want a winner who draws the ratings/money to their competitions. Suffice it to say, Yuna is not the most favored by the ISU given that she has skipped out on most ISU championships in this last quad. However, she is a big face in the IOC, for drawing interest in the Sochi games and even the future 2018 PyeongChang games in Korea.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •