Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Carolina, Julia, Ashley, Gracie, Akiko, or Adelina - Who will win the bronze medal ?

Custom Title
    At this point, it seems Julia's to lose given her consistency, high technical content, and Russian PCS boost. I can see Julia or Wagner or Suzuki spoiling for bronze but that will be dependent on them skating lights out and Julia making errors. If Julia skates like at CoR though, she will likely not make the podium even with the Russian boost (118 with three triples seems hardly worthy of a bronze at the level the field has skated/can skate).

Custom Title
    I think Julia will really need to win Europeans to boost her chances as a bronze medal contender. So far, her biggest wins to date are some GP golds, a GPF silver, and a Junior Worlds win. That's not enough.

Carolina, on the other hand, can afford to lose Europeans (but not by too much), IF she shows up in her very best form at the Olympics, and she will still be considered a medal contender.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by MalloryArcher View Post
    I know of no woman in the past 20+ years who has won an Olympic medal without winning a Worlds medal of some colour first. I could see Julia making a great debut like Sasha Cohen did in 2002 but I as with Sasha I don't think than will translate to anything higher than 4th.
    Correct, the last ladies skater to win an Olympic medal without first winning a Worlds medal was Liz Manley in 1988...coincidentally, she was skating in her home country of Canada for the 1988 Olympics.

Quote Originally Posted by burntBREAD View Post
    They did like two scores out of ten:the first for scoring potential, second for consistency. So Julia has a 8 in scoring potential and 9 in consistency (both out of 10). Adelina has a 9 in scoring potential but just 4/10 for consistency.
    Oh. Ok, thanks.

Custom Title
    I don't quite see why Julia is so much better than, say, the other Russian girls or anyone else who skates clean. Is she doing triple triples that others can't do? I've only seen her a couple of times, but I wasn't blown away, and liked some of the other Russian up and comers better. I will say, I loved her spins, though, and appreciated her "age appropriate" programs. But it seemed that her jumps were tiny and she had the same odd axel that Tara Lipinski did, more like she was roller skating.

Anyway, I think barring a total meltdown, a Russian lady will be on that podium. If there is a meltdown, it will be Carolina.

Custom Title
    ^ Stop the presses, I actually agree with you entirely!

Who will win the bronze medal? Most likely one of these 3: Ashley, Julia or Caro. It all depends on how well they perform (obviously). Ashley is going to give her all, Julia is probably going to skate clean or relatively clean (unless she can't deal with home-ice pressure), Caro is going to get big PCS if she skates relatively clean. I would say if all three of them went clean, Julia would probably win because not only its in Russia, but she's going to have huge TES as well.

Other than those 3, I honestly can't see anyone else medalling. Adelina probably has a chance if she skates clean.

Custom Title
    If Julia wins Europeans, and skates 2 clean programs at Sochi, I predict she'll win gold. (Location will weigh heavily!)

Quote Originally Posted by Eddie Lee View Post
    If Julia wins Europeans, and skates 2 clean programs at Sochi, I predict she'll win gold. (Location will weigh heavily!)
    Even against a clean Asada or Kim? I know Russia has the most billionaires on earth but even that kind of inflation is something they can't afford.

Quote Originally Posted by Krislite View Post
    Even against a clean Asada or Kim? I know Russia has the most billionaires on earth but even that kind of inflation is something they can't afford.
    She will not beat a clean Mao or Yuna. No way.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by Nadia01 View Post
    She will not beat a clean Mao or Yuna. No way.
    True that. As we have seen, a relatively clean Mao and Kim would score well into the 200's whereas a clean Julia would barely breach it.

Quote Originally Posted by CanadianSkaterGuy View Post
    True that. As we have seen, a relatively clean Mao and Kim would score well into the 200's whereas a clean Julia would barely breach it.
    I actually think that if Julia wins Europeans & goes clean in Sochi, she can get the bronze, provided that CaroK has at least 2 major errors total (in short and/or long).

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by Nadia01 View Post
    I actually think that if Julia wins Europeans & goes clean in Sochi, she can get the bronze, provided that CaroK has at least 2 major errors total (in short and/or long).
    If Julia goes clean in Sochi a medal will be hers, I'm almost certain of it. Which is great considering not many skaters have maxed out content like she does. I just can't wait for the world to see those marvellous spins of hers and lose their minds as to what they thought was possible on skates.

That's actually my biggest hope this Olympics ... That skaters don't play it safe and we see some technically brilliant performances with unprecedented difficulty. That's what the sport needs to show the world. Shizuoka and Evan were lovely but everyone getting an Olympic medal should have attempted a 3-3 (3A in Mao's case) in both programs for the ladies & 1 quad in the SP and 2 quads in the LP for the men.

Does Russia just have two spots for the ladies at Europeans too? And if so, are they going to send the two that make the Olympic team?

Custom Title
    I would say Kostner would still be the fave ; the judges seem to want to give it to her but Mao is a wildcard. She could challenge Yuna but she could fall off the podium (underrotate actually). Carolina followed by Wagner and then Julia. I f Julia gets inspired andKostner and Wagner aren't on Julia could steal a bronze imho. Adelina has to struggle to get on the Russian team and Gracie hasn't been very impressive in her programs so far.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast