Thread: Journalists who cover figure skating

Gambatte, Max Aaron/"No letting off the gas pedal" golden411's Avatar

Journalists who cover figure skating

Journalists who cover figure skating

Two bits of news re American journalists:

(1) Nancy Armour, who covers figure skating and other sports for AP, is moving to USA Today.

‏@nrarmour
    A bit of personal news: Very excited to say I'm joining USA Today's enterprise team, effective Jan. 6. Hope you'll follow along.
    1:47 PM - 13 Dec 13
    https://twitter.com/nrarmour/status/411613365081870336

In some reply tweets, she says that the new job will be similar to her current one.

(2) Jo-Ann Barnas is writing a children's book "on great Olympic moments in figure skating," per her tweets on Dec 12.

BTW, Barnas previously had said that she will be in Sochi for the Olympic News Service -- although not necessarily on the figure skating beat.

Custom Title
    Amy Rosewater (Team USA.org) and Lynn Rutherford (Icenetwork) will be covering Figure Skating for Icenetwork.com. British journalist Alexandra Stevenson (iceskatingintnl.com) will be covering figure skating in Sochi as well.

Custom Title
    PJ Kwong - Canadian journalist and commentator for many years. Would assume she will be in Sochi.

Nick McCarvell - NBC.com journalist who has been covering events this season, and thus seems likely to provide media coverage in Sochi as well.

Quote Originally Posted by lcd View Post
    PJ Kwong - Canadian journalist and commentator for many years. Would assume she will be in Sochi.

Nick McCarvell - NBC.com journalist who has been covering events this season, and thus seems likely to provide media coverage in Sochi as well.
    Thx to KKonas and lcd for your posts.

Non-Sochi items related to journalists also are very welcome in this thread.
    (The possible return of Barnas to figure skating for Sochi happened to be noteworthy to me b/c she has been away from the sport since her move to Indianapolis.)

Kwong will be a PA announcer at the Olympic rink in Sochi, as she was in Vancouver. (Whether she also will put on her journalist hat during the Games is a separate question. I don't know whether she managed to juggle both roles in Vancouver.)

At the beginning of McCarvel's recent immersion into figure skating, he sent more than one tweet to the effect (I'm paraphrasing) that the ultimate reason was to prep himself for covering the sport in Sochi. So "likely" is an understatement, I would say.

Quote Originally Posted by golden411 View Post
    BTW, Barnas previously had said that she will be in Sochi for the Olympic News Service -- although not necessarily on the figure skating beat.
    Update/good news:

Jo-Ann Barnas ‏@JoAnnBarnas
    Officially learned I've been assigned to figure skating venue for Olympic News Service #Sochi2014 Grateful for freelance gig. No. 8 Olympics
    11:13 AM - 19 Dec 13
    https://twitter.com/JoAnnBarnas/stat...48826655449089

BTW, unrelated FYI:
    AP's Sochi site is live. (For the longest time, AP had been adding Sochi-related stories to its old Summer Games site.)

But again ... this thread was/is not intended to focus only on Sochi. And not intended to focus only on American journalists.