Thread: Holiday Party experiment: you may be drunker than you think (Today Show)

Holiday Party experiment: you may be drunker than you think (Today Show)

http://www.today.com/news/holiday-pa...ink-2D11744240

t's party season, and a lot of us think we know our limits: "I can have a couple of drinks. If I'm not slurring my words or stumbling, I'm OK."But, authorities say, too often people don't know their own limits.

According to government data, during Christmas and New Year's, 40 percent of all traffic deaths involve alcohol. In just the few days surrounding those two holidays, an average of 304 people die in drunk-driving crashes, says the U.S. Department of Transportation.

"I think the misperception is that people feel they can go out and have a few drinks, when in reality, one drink can impair you," said Michael Halfacre, director of New Jersey Division of Alcohol Beverage Control.

Custom Title
    A good thing to keep in mind at this time of year! Thanks, Toni.

I had former classmates (brothers) killed by a drunk driver on Christmas Eve so it strikes close to home.

I don't drink, ever. But I see a lot of friends and family drink a beer or two (or cocktail) and then get behind the wheel. They seem stable or I'd drive them myself, but I may have to rethink that after watching this.