Results 1 to 15 of 38

Thread: NBCSN to show Olympic Figure Skating LIVE on TV

Hybrid View

  1. #1
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Posts
    694

    NBCSN to show COMPLETE Olympic Figure Skating LIVE on TV

    Was googling the team event and this article came up:

    http://www.nbcsandiego.com/news/spor...236250641.html

    It says that NBC is going to show every figure skating event LIVE on NBCSN... meaning we'll probably have some odd hours, but it will be possible to catch it all on tv.

    It also says key moments will be shown in primetime - my guess is we'll get similar coverage to what we usually have in primetime. Only time will tell what the coverage will actually be like but it's still great to know that if we want to catch it all on tv we'll be able to!

  2. #2
    Custom Title Johar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Location
    Petoskey, Michigan
    Posts
    1,742

  3. #3
    and... World Peace! Tonichelle's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Location
    Kenai, AK
    Posts
    18,654
    Awesome! I actually get this channel!

  4. #4
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Posts
    756
    Short, long, and team? Awesome!

  5. #5
    Celebrating the Excellence of #VirtueMoir golden411's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Posts
    4,174
    Quote Originally Posted by samson View Post
    It says that NBC is going to show every figure skating event LIVE on NBCSN... meaning we'll probably have some odd hours, but it will be possible to catch it all on tv.
    One little caveat:
    NBCSN will not be showing the first day of team skating competition (which takes place the day before the opening ceremony).
    So team/pairs SP and team/men's SP will not be shown.
    Official NBC press release:

    ETA, as for odd hours, not so much (excerpt below is from the press release).

    Following is a breakdown of NBCSN’s figure skating coverage:

    Date Time (ET) Event/Program
    • Sat., Feb. 8 9:30 a.m. Team Event: Ice Dancing Short, Ladies’ Short, Pairs’ Free
    • Sun., Feb. 9 10 a.m. Team Event: Men’s Free, Ice Dancing Free, Ladies’ Free
    • Tues., Feb. 11 10 a.m. Pairs Short
    • Wed., Feb. 12 10:45 a.m. Pairs Free
    • Thurs., Feb. 13 10 a.m. Men’s Short
    • Fri., Feb. 14 10 a.m. Men’s Free
    • Sun., Feb. 16 10 a.m. Ice Dancing Short
    • Mon., Feb. 17 10 a.m. Ice Dancing Free
    • Wed., Feb. 19 10 a.m. Ladies’ Short
    • Thurs., Feb. 20 10 a.m. Ladies’ Free

  6. #6
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Posts
    2,296
    Naturally my cable company doesn't carry this channel. Hopefully NBC.com will be live streaming all the events live just like they did during the Summer Olympics.

  7. #7
    Celebrating the Excellence of #VirtueMoir golden411's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Posts
    4,174
    Quote Originally Posted by Jammers View Post
    Naturally my cable company doesn't carry this channel. Hopefully NBC.com will be live streaming all the events live just like they did during the Summer Olympics.
    NBC announced back in February that NBCOlympics.com will be live streaming everything from Sochi 2014 as it did from London 2012.

    The rest of this post is from what I just added to the Sochi media rights thread:

    Re NBCOlympics.com live streaming (not to be confused with NBCSN):

    Access to Sochi 2014 live streaming will require validation (same as for London 2012), as previously announced. FAQ and video explanation from Ryan Seacrest here:
    http://www.nbcolympics.com/liveextra/help (the video part is 2:21 in length)

    Excerpt of the text FAQ:
    What do I need to watch video on NBCOlympics.com/LiveExtra?
    You must be a subscriber to a TV provider video package that includes specific NBCU networks (varies by provider). You will also need to provide your online credentials during the verification process.

    Dec 16 press release -- on the first day that customers were able to complete the verification process -- includes instructions:

  8. #8
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Posts
    2,296
    Quote Originally Posted by golden411 View Post
    NBC announced back in February that NBCOlympics.com will be live streaming everything from Sochi 2014 as it did from London 2012.

    The rest of this post is from what I just added to the Sochi media rights thread:

    Re NBCOlympics.com live streaming (not to be confused with NBCSN):

    Access to Sochi 2014 live streaming will require validation (same as for London 2012), as previously announced. FAQ and video explanation from Ryan Seacrest here:
    http://www.nbcolympics.com/liveextra/help (the video part is 2:21 in length)

    Excerpt of the text FAQ:
    What do I need to watch video on NBCOlympics.com/LiveExtra?
    You must be a subscriber to a TV provider video package that includes specific NBCU networks (varies by provider). You will also need to provide your online credentials during the verification process.

    Dec 16 press release -- on the first day that customers were able to complete the verification process -- includes instructions:
    Just checked again and i do have NBCSN. In HD even.

  9. #9
    and... World Peace! Tonichelle's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Location
    Kenai, AK
    Posts
    18,654
    what sucks for me is that the stuff starts anywhere between 4am and 6am for Alaska. I'm gonna need to change my sleeping patterns.

  10. #10
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Posts
    103
    it is shown on NBC itself on Thursdya night - so not live but at least we can see it and of course it is live on nbcsports.com
    Quote Originally Posted by golden411 View Post
    One little caveat:
    NBCSN will not be showing the first day of team skating competition (which takes place the day before the opening ceremony).
    So team/pairs SP and team/men's SP will not be shown.
    Official NBC press release:

    ETA, as for odd hours, not so much (excerpt below is from the press release).

    Following is a breakdown of NBCSN’s figure skating coverage:

    Date Time (ET) Event/Program
    • Sat., Feb. 8 9:30 a.m. Team Event: Ice Dancing Short, Ladies’ Short, Pairs’ Free
    • Sun., Feb. 9 10 a.m. Team Event: Men’s Free, Ice Dancing Free, Ladies’ Free
    • Tues., Feb. 11 10 a.m. Pairs Short
    • Wed., Feb. 12 10:45 a.m. Pairs Free
    • Thurs., Feb. 13 10 a.m. Men’s Short
    • Fri., Feb. 14 10 a.m. Men’s Free
    • Sun., Feb. 16 10 a.m. Ice Dancing Short
    • Mon., Feb. 17 10 a.m. Ice Dancing Free
    • Wed., Feb. 19 10 a.m. Ladies’ Short
    • Thurs., Feb. 20 10 a.m. Ladies’ Free

  11. #11
    Celebrating the Excellence of #VirtueMoir golden411's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Posts
    4,174
    Quote Originally Posted by gottadance View Post
    it is shown on NBC itself on Thursdya night - so not live but at least we can see it and of course it is live on nbcsports.com
    Yup -- although you mean NBCOlympics.com.

    Lest you wonder, the background/context for the post that you quoted:
    When the OP started this thread on Dec 17, the original title was: "NBCSN to show COMPLETE Olympic Figure Skating LIVE on TV."
    The post of mine that you quoted above also was from Dec 17 -- and one of its purposes was to politely correct the misperception (re "complete" skating) in the original thread title.
    Unfortunately, the misperception has persisted. Tonight (Feb 1), someone started a thread in Olympics subforum asking why NBCSN had no Thursday listing.

  12. #12
    Custom Title
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Posts
    544
    To other NBCSN viewers:

    I guess this is unprecedented having ALL skating programs covered on-air?! Luckily DISH has Universal Sports and NBCSN - but yes, it costs dearly.

    This may seem an ignorant question, and I'm not even completely sure how to word it, but I am wondering how you plan to watch? Do you plan to watch all the programs on NBCSN? Or watch some on NBCSN and then switch to the NBC pre-packaged telecast?

    I assume you could watch it all on NBCSN and know who wins SP, LP and the medals. I'm just wondering if doing so might not be as exciting as watching the NBC show with all the bells and whistles? Naturally prime time will likely air only the final flight (or final two at most). As of now, I'm going to watch Saturday on NBCSN then also watch the prime time telecast and see what I like better. Maybe a mix of both?

    Again, I know this may be a bizarre question, but I'm wondering if anyone else has thought about it??

  13. #13
    Size 7 Knife Boots Sam-Skwantch's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Location
    At the Rink
    Posts
    2,505
    Quote Originally Posted by waxel View Post
    To other NBCSN viewers:

    I guess this is unprecedented having ALL skating programs covered on-air?! Luckily DISH has Universal Sports and NBCSN - but yes, it costs dearly.

    This may seem an ignorant question, and I'm not even completely sure how to word it, but I am wondering how you plan to watch? Do you plan to watch all the programs on NBCSN? Or watch some on NBCSN and then switch to the NBC pre-packaged telecast?

    I assume you could watch it all on NBCSN and know who wins SP, LP and the medals. I'm just wondering if doing so might not be as exciting as watching the NBC show with all the bells and whistles? Naturally prime time will likely air only the final flight (or final two at most). As of now, I'm going to watch Saturday on NBCSN then also watch the prime time telecast and see what I like better. Maybe a mix of both?

    Again, I know this may be a bizarre question, but I'm wondering if anyone else has thought about it??

    I'm gonna watch it live and on prime time. I don't think that will be enough so I'll probably have to watch all the performances on YouTube in between and for days following. I've already put in at work for the 19th and 20th off so I'll have more than enough time! Feel free to judge me.

  14. #14
    Rinkside
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Posts
    10
    Yes - channel 159 on Dish Network is NBC Sports Network. It is included with their America's Top 250 and America's "Everything" packages. Unfortunately it is neither included with the main package we have (America's Top 200) nor with their Multi-Sport Pack (which we got just to get Universal Sports).

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •