How important is Plushenko for Sochi Olympics? | Page 2 | Golden Skate

How important is Plushenko for Sochi Olympics?

blue_idealist

Record Breaker
If it's Plushenko vs. Kovtun, I think Plushenko should be sent even if he's not in TOP form. After all, it was because of Kovtun's poor finish at the last World Championships that Russia went down to one spot. He could implode majorly at the Olympics.

plushyfan

Record Breaker
Country
Hungary
Some say Evgeni is old and injured and therefore should retire, and some also hate him as they believe he has to much PR and because they don't like his wife. There's controversy in people's attitude to him, again the result of being very famous.

He was admittedly more popular before the private life scandals and when Yana Rudkovskaya was not his wife. But need to say, his wife is very popular and hated in the same time as the most of celebrities.

And you don't forget the "Live с Плющенко" reality show TV series in 2007/2008. The reporters followed him on his shows in Russia, Italy and Japan. Those videos are on Youtube.

snowflake

I enjoy what I like
Record Breaker
Thanks a lot mielikki for your long and interesting answer. So I understand many Russians appreciate Plushenko, though they know nothing about figure skating.

In our Olympic Games the important poll was who will be the last to light the flame, I see flagbearer is more important in Russia>?

To light the flame would be an easier and funnier task for him. Just running, walking, skating or whatever some meters and be in the eyes of billions...

mielikki

Rinkside
A bit like a Russian figure skating David Beckham then? The way people used to talk, one would think that, had he not changed hair style every other day, he wouldn't have missed those penalties... ;)

Pretty much the same.

He was admittedly more popular before the private life scandals and when Yana Rudkovskaya was not his wife. But need to say, his wife is very popular and hated in the same time as the most of celebrity.

Back then he competed more often and had this exciting rivalry with Yagudin. And skating itself had been more popular in Russia, it had more comprehensible marks system.
I'm not interested in pop music so for me Evgeni is a star much bigger than his wife, and before they got married I didn't even know her face. But for those who follow all the celebrity scandals and gossips it may be otherwise. So, until Mr. Kovtun marries or at least dates some showbiz newsmaker, Russia has only one skater :biggrin:

lcd

Match Penalty
Has the question been posed - and if so, any response been provided - to Plushenko about the Anti-Gay laws in Russia?

LRK

Record Breaker
Thanks a lot mielikki for your long and interesting answer. So I understand many Russians appreciate Plushenko, though they know nothing about figure skating.

To light the flame would be an easier and funnier task for him. Just running, walking, skating or whatever some meters and be in the eyes of billions...

Actually, in this article from today:

http://www.allsportinfo.ru/index.php?id=78695

"Evgeni Plushenko admitted to the special correspondent of the Agency of sport information "All Sport" Mary Vorobevoj that he is ready to become the standard-bearer. "If I was entrusted to carry Russian flag at the opening of the Olympic Games home, I would certainly agree - said Plushenko. - It's an honor for me! But first, after all, have to go through qualifying championship of Russia, which will be held in Sochi in late December. And only then you can get ahead, think about the next competition. " "

(Google translate)

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
Has the question been posed - and if so, any response been provided - to Plushenko about the Anti-Gay laws in Russia?

Plushenko was the highest-profile signatory on a petition protesting against the laws some months ago, when it was first passed.

In fact, you could probably say that Plushenko is, so far, the only skater to have done something, rather than just talk about it.

(Not that I blame any of the Olympic hopefuls for staying quiet or anything, I hasten to add.)

snowflake

I enjoy what I like
Record Breaker
Actually, in this article from today:

http://www.allsportinfo.ru/index.php?id=78695

"Evgeni Plushenko admitted to the special correspondent of the Agency of sport information "All Sport" Mary Vorobevoj that he is ready to become the standard-bearer. "If I was entrusted to carry Russian flag at the opening of the Olympic Games home, I would certainly agree - said Plushenko. - It's an honor for me! But first, after all, have to go through qualifying championship of Russia, which will be held in Sochi in late December. And only then you can get ahead, think about the next competition. " "

(Google translate)

Yeah, to carry the flag you have to be a participant. But a legend/celebrity can be chosen to light the fire. Which for Sochi I guess wil be a hockey player from the eighties... Fetisov, Krutov... ?

plushyfan

Record Breaker
Country
Hungary

He signed a petition against to the same law, against the law maker in St. Petersburg. Not to mention he invited to his shows Johnny Weir. I think this is no accident, they are good friends. Johnny is an openly gay person, the Russians know about him this information. Plushy's shows will be held in Russian Far East and in Siberia too..

plushyfan

Record Breaker
Country
Hungary
Yeah, to carry the flag you have to be a participant. But a legend/celebrity can be chosen to light the fire. Which for Sochi I guess wil be a hockey player from the eighties... Fetisov, Krutov... ?

Tretiak!!!!! I would like to see him!

whitebamboo

On the Ice
He signed a petition against to the same law, against the law maker in St. Petersburg. Not to mention he invited to his shows Johnny Weir. I think this is no accident, they are good friends. Johnny is an openly gay person, the Russians know on him this information. Plushy's shows will be held in Russian Far East and in Siberia too..

Maybe just to clarify...That petition was against the main proponent of a similar Saint Petersburg law, IIRC.

I confess I was a little startled by the title of this thread, but I guess the OP is really asking about Plushenko's popularity in Russia. I don't know if one can really talk about his "importance" to the Sochi Olympics--I mean, he is an athlete, and he has his dream of going to the Olympics like everyone else, that's all. If he doesn't make it, many would be disappointed, but the Olympics would go on without him. Though he was also part of the delegation in Guatemala that brought the Winter Olympics to Sochi, so if one wants to take the thread title literally, I guess he did contribute to it that way...:biggrin:

CanadianSkaterGuy

Record Breaker
If it's Plushenko vs. Kovtun, I think Plushenko should be sent even if he's not in TOP form. After all, it was because of Kovtun's poor finish at the last World Championships that Russia went down to one spot. He could implode majorly at the Olympics.

That is hugely unfair. Whoever is the best skater come Russian Nationals/Euros this year should go. Kovtun has had good results this year, even with inconsistencies. 2 GP silvers is easily the best GP showing than any Russian man since Plushenko has achieved. He's also had an SP with 2 quads, as well as an LP with 2 out of 3 quads landed. He's come a long way since his performance at Worlds last year, when it was his federation that pushed him there when he should have gone to WJC. If Kovtun IS skating better than Plushenko around the time of Russian nationals, he should go to Sochi and not be held back as punishment for something that really wasn't his fault.

However, whether Plushenko competes or not, he should certainly have a huge presence there. If he isn't competing, he should definitely get an exhibition number in the gala. :)

plushyfan

Record Breaker
Country
Hungary
That is hugely unfair. Whoever is the best skater come Russian Nationals/Euros this year should go. Kovtun has had good results this year, even with inconsistencies. 2 GP silvers is easily the best GP showing than any Russian man since Plushenko has achieved. He's also had an SP with 2 quads, as well as an LP with 2 out of 3 quads landed. He's come a long way since his performance at Worlds last year, when it was his federation that pushed him there when he should have gone to WJC. If Kovtun IS skating better than Plushenko around the time of Russian nationals, he should go to Sochi and not be held back as punishment for something that really wasn't his fault.

However, whether Plushenko competes or not, he should certainly have a huge presence there. If he isn't competing, he should definitely get an exhibition number in the gala. :)

You have two mistakes.
-Kovtun went to WCH, because of Tarasova, the Rus Fed did it, what she wanted.
-The Russian Federation will decide after ECH, not the Rus Nat.

CanadianSkaterGuy

Record Breaker
You have two mistakes.
-Kovtun went to WCH, because of Tarasova, the Rus Fed did it, what she wanted.
-The Russian Federation will decide after ECH, not the Rus Nat.

Yup, I meant Russian nationals/Euros. :)

And is it actually documented that Tarasova forced the Russian Federation's hand? I mean, you would think Mishin would have also pushed for Gachinski, who ranked higher.

OS

Sedated by Modonium
Record Breaker
As far as I am aware, Plushenko IS the face of figure skating in Russia. Total legend NOT just in Russia but also a large part of Asia.
I really hope he get to compete one more go just so he can prove he outlasts those like Lysacek who might have got an OGM, but what else has he got? (other than a tan)

4th Olympics would be an incredible career feat.

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
2 GP silvers is easily the best GP showing than any Russian man since Plushenko has achieved.

But who has the best championship results since Plushenko? Who has the only Worlds medal since Plushenko? Who has the only Euros medal since Plushenko? You know these answers. But this skater has been tossed on the scrapheap...

he should go to Sochi and not be held back as punishment for something that really wasn't his fault.

...you mean, like Gachinski? People forget. There were TWO men at Worlds in Nice. There were two men because Gachinski made it so. Gachinski was not the only one who failed in Nice. It wasn't his fault, either.

If he can't skate, I want to see him present the men's medals.

And is it actually documented that Tarasova forced the Russian Federation's hand? I mean, you would think Mishin would have also pushed for Gachinski, who ranked higher.

As I understood it, Mishin actually fought for Menshov first, and only when it became apparent that there was no way in hell the Fed was going to send an "old man", he started pushing for Gachinski. I think he wasn't too upset that Gachinski didn't go (they needed to sort out his headspace and his physical problems), but he was definitely fighting on Menshov's side.

And however you look at it, Tarasova forced the fed's hand. I mean for crying out loud, the guy they sent to Worlds was FIFTH at his own Nationals.

gmyers

Record Breaker
I forgot to address that Sochi Olympics would be fine if Plushenko had totally retired and had gone into seclusion in Siberia. His appearance is a bonus because he's so popular but the Olympics would be fine without him.