How important is Plushenko for Sochi Olympics? | Golden Skate

How important is Plushenko for Sochi Olympics?

snowflake

I enjoy what I like
Record Breaker
Is Plushenko the most popular winter athlete in Russia? I could think the hockey team (Ovetskjin… ?) is Russia's main favorite and most under pressure to win gold. The Russian cross country skiers are also very good (the men won the relay at World Cup in Norway two weeks ago) as well as their biathlon team. And perhaps others… ? I read a post here somewhere which said Plushenko is a favorite to carry the Russian flag at the opening ceremony (don't remember who the voters were)

In short I wonder how much the Russians(except for figure skating fans) appreciate Plushenko and think it is important that he competes in Sochi.

LiamForeman

William/Uilyam
Medalist
I'm interested to hear from Russians on here what they think of him. He has to be a sports icon. His first world medal was SIXTEEN years ago and he's still around!!! Or are people in Russia just over him and wish he'd give up the ghost.

CanadianSkaterGuy

Record Breaker
Whether he competes or not, his presence will be hugely important. As for flag bearing, hasn't he done so before? I know several countries have repeat flag bearers but you'd think a major Winter Olympics country like Russia would have other Russian athletes (eg Ovechkin) who could also have that honour.

snowflake

I enjoy what I like
Record Breaker

Sochi_2014

On the Ice
I'm not Russian, but I have heard that the Russians greatly appreciate their previously successful athletes, even more so over the up and comers. They pay their respects, as so to say. This is why Plushenko might be chosen for the one men's spot that Russia has over Kovtum. That's where the debate is for them though: do they invest in a young skater who is the future of Russian men's skating, or do they pay tribute to Plushenko who has been wildly successful in his career? Even as a non-Russian, I cannot answer the question myself. I don't have an opinion one way or the other because I think both choices are great and make sense. Too bad Russia only has 1 spot.

CaroLiza_fan

EZETTIE LATUASV IVAKMHA
Record Breaker
Country
Northern-Ireland
Thanks LRK... looks like Plushenko is the favorite :)

But the article is strange: More than 15 million fans have already participated in voting for the Russian Olympic team flag bearer.... 6 458 for Plushy, 3 119 for Zaitseva etc. Maybe "translate" should mean "more than 15 000" :laugh:

I just went onto the voting page on vKontakte ( http://vk.com/teamrussia2014?fixed=1 )

The total vote is currently at 18,057. So, yeah, it was a mis-translation.

Plushy is is now up to 6,919 (including myself!), which is still roughly double what his nearest challenger, Olga Zaitseva, has (3,565)

Somehow, I don't see anybody catching him! ;) :biggrin: :laugh:

CaroLiza_fan

plushyfan

Record Breaker
Country
Hungary
http://smena.ru/news/2013/12/16/22867
google translating

Who will be the flag of our team at the Olympic Games in Sochi

Prior to the start of the Olympic Games in Sochi is already less than two months . So talk about the upcoming grand for Russia and the world sports event , of course , more . In addition to the medal prospects of our team in different sports , and is actively discussing who should be entrusted to carry the Russian flag at the opening ceremony of the Games ? 2014 . According to the ROC president Alexander Zhukov , the standard-bearer choose sportsmen Russian team captains precisely . "Change" about the chances of the most probable candidates for honorable mission .

Ilya Kovalchuk
(ice hockey)
... Note that because our team Olympic tournament starts on February 13 , participated in the ceremony will not affect the gaming potential Kovalchuk.
Chances: 35 percent.

Olga Zaitseva
(biathlon )
Zaitsev represent not particularly necessary - double Olympic champion and three-time world champion for many years playing at the highest level .
In addition, because women's sprint at the Games is planned only on Sunday, February 9 , after the Friday ceremony at biathletes will be enough time for rest and recovery.
Chances: 35 percent * .

Evgeni Plushenko
(figure skating )
Say " figure skating " - mean Evgeni Plushenko . At its three previous Olympics Plushenko won one gold and two silver medals , but few believed that Eugene will continue performances in amateur sport and try ( although it is not just about it said ) to qualify for the Olympic Games in Sochi . True, yet Plushenko in the Olympic team does not guarantee : after a major operation he needs to confirm its high class . But if he succeeds , the skater will be a real contender for the role of standard-bearer . Although Plushenko prevent , in particular, can tight competition schedule - February 6 , the day before the official start of the Games , Sculler will roll ???? :biggrin:short program team competitions , and scheduled for February 9, any program .
Chances: 15 percent.

Ivan Skobrev
( speed skating )
Chances: 5 percent.

Albert Demchenko
( Luge )
Chances: 5 percent.

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
That's where the debate is for them though: do they invest in a young skater who is the future of Russian men's skating, or do they pay tribute to Plushenko who has been wildly successful in his career? Even as a non-Russian, I cannot answer the question myself. I don't have an opinion one way or the other because I think both choices are great and make sense. Too bad Russia only has 1 spot.

Kovtun isn't the be-all and end-all. He's not consistent (well, okay, none of them are) and has pretty well got where he is so far through a combination of politics, Tarasova, and the judges somehow overlooking the general hideousness of his jump technique. He's not the only skater in Russia's future and I wish people would stop acting like he is. He's only a year younger than Gachinski, for goodness' sake.

Plushenko should go if his body holds up. If he cannot, then whoever EARNS it at Nationals and Euros should be sent. No more rubbish shenanigans like last year, where Kovtun's Worlds selection was made only because of Tarasova's backroom politics, rather than what Kovtun put on the ice.

snowflake

I enjoy what I like
Record Breaker
Thanks Plushyfan.

Sochi_2014 and karne… I didn't mean this to be a Plushenko against other Russian skaters. That's discussed in other threads. I just wondered how famous, known, popular Plushenko is in Russia outside of the skating family. I just wanted to know where he stands compared to other Russian winter athletes. And how much it means to have him as a competitor, flag bearer, entartainer, torch lighter or whatever. I suppose only Russians can answer this but sadly I think there are not many of them in this forum.

drivingmissdaisy

Record Breaker
I think there is a legitimate argument for putting Plushenko on the team because he is the only Russian man capable of winning an individual medal. This, of course, assumes that he is fully healthy. His marketability shouldn't factor in this decision. To me, putting him on the team is no more or less controversial than putting Kwan on the team ahead of Emily Hughes (which I thought was not controversial at all). Like Plushenko, Kwan hardly competed in the two years leading up to Turin.

snowflake

I enjoy what I like
Record Breaker
I think there is a legitimate argument for putting Plushenko on the team because he is the only Russian man capable of winning an individual medal.

But he isn't and that's my point.I can name three other men capable of winning a gold medal for Russia: Legkov and Vylegzhanin in cross country skiing and Ustyugov (gold in Vancouver) in biathlon. And I don't know about other disciplinces. That's why I'm asking how big Plushenlo is compared to other Russian athletes :)

drivingmissdaisy

Record Breaker
But he isn't and that's my point.I can name three other men capable of winning a gold medal for Russia: Legkov and Vylegzhanin in cross country skiing and Ustyugov (gold in Vancouver) in biathlon. And I don't know about other disciplinces. That's why I'm asking how big Plushenlo is compared to other Russian athletes :)

I mean in the context of figure skating, as those other athletes aren't fighting for the one spot in the men's event. You also have to factor in the popularity of the sport as well, and I have no idea how the Russian fans feel about skating versus other sports.

LRK

Record Breaker
There are other types of polls that one could look at as well - "Russian athlete of the year", that sort of thing. Not that polls should be taken at face value, or being conclusive of anything, of course. It would also depend on who was voting &c - and Plushy has a fairly sizeable international fanbase, so it might still be difficult to assess his position in Russia merely. Still, I suppose something could be gleaned from them?

gmyers

Record Breaker
It was mentioned in that article how big the Internet following of plushenko is and how he wins virtually all the Internet polls. But he also always places high in non Internet polls so the following is big and real but it's not like other winter athletes don't sometimes beat him. He benefits from living in Russia.

sky_fly20

Match Penalty
Zhenya wether he can win a medal or not, is still legitimate especially for Russia
he is well known than any other Russian skater, V/T have some media exposures now but still in nowhere near as popular as Plushenko

the younger skaters can replicate his impact and success is doubtful
and Russian men is traditionally more popular than womens though with the rise of young female skaters its slowly changing but if they can find a wonder kid ala Yuzuru as Plushenko's heir they can dump any of the Russian wonder girls in a heart beat in exchange for 1 male superstar.

amongst the girls popularity only Julia Lipnitskaya can become a huge influence in Russian women's skating
with her many vk followers and young girls aspiring to immitate her skating styles, Adelina and Elena comes a distant
aside from them, I don't think anyone else can be even as half as popular as Plushenko will be.

mielikki

Rinkside
Well I live in Russia.

First thing one has to know regarding this flag poll is that many Russians have the superstition that the flag bearer then fails in competition. Hockey is the most important, so they want their guys to avoid that fate. It's not that these superstitious voters want Plushenko to fail, they just don't care about figure skating.

But all in all, yes, except hockey players he is the most famous winter sport athlete in Russia.
Even those who know nothing about the sport, know him.
His name is the synonym to "figure skater". If someone goes to mass skating, he or she may jokingly say "I've been Plushenko today". People in his/her company will call such person "local Plushenko". For example, if you search instagram tag #плющенко you'll find pics of random people in the rinks.
Some know him only because of the Eurovision song contest in 2008 and because his wife is well-known in Russian show business. Also due to her Evgeni appears in mass media more often than any winter athlete.
Competitive longevity also works for him, he doesn't fall off the radar.

In short I wonder how much the Russians(except for figure skating fans) appreciate Plushenko and think it is important that he competes in Sochi.
Yes, they appreciate him a lot and would like to see him in Sochi. Most of them know nothing about current state of ladies, pairs, ice dance and men's fields in figure skating. Most skaters they know are the ones participating in Ice Age TV show, and Plushenko.
Some say Evgeni is old and injured and therefore should retire, and some also hate him as they believe he has to much PR and because they don't like his wife. There's controversy in people's attitude to him, again the result of being very famous.

plushyfan

Record Breaker
Country
Hungary
Some details about his popularity and notoriety, he is not only an athlete , he is celebrity.

n 2010 He won the "Google Trendy Award 2010" for "Athlete of the Year! Search with Google" (Trends of the year in the Russian Internet) http://evgeni-plushenko.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=55&p=47290&hilit=google+trendy+award#p47290
In March of 2010 Albert Prince of Monaco invited him to a Celebration

In 2012 Athlete of the year ( He was already No.1 - 2006 and 2007! ... 3rd 2008 and 2009, 2nd 2010, 3rd 2011..)

In 2011
Top 20 Russian elite version by Levada Center http://www.polit.ru/news/2011/01/25/elite/

1. Vladimir Putin
2. Dmitry Medvedev
3. Sergei Shoigu
4. Vladimir Zhirinovsky
5. Alla Pugacheva
6. Gennady Zyuganov
7. Iosif Kobzon
8. Nikita Mikhalkov
9. Metropolitan Kirill
10. Valentina Matvienko
11. Boris Gryzlov
12. Sergey Lavrov
13. Roman Abramovich
14. Evgeni Plushenko ( ONLY ATHLETE IN THE LIST:)
15. Sergei Sobyanin
16. Vladimir Pozner
17. Yuri Luzhkov
18. Philip Kirkorov
19. Igor Cool
20. Leonid Roshal

Ranking of elite people from 2006-2012
RATING OF RUSSIAN ELITE 2012:
http://wciom.ru/index.php?id=459&uid=113505

MOSCOW, December 26, 2012 All-Russian Public Opinion Research Center (VCIOM) presents an annual ranking of the Russian elite, that is - people who have the most merit for the reputation of Russia in their fields...

Rating of the Russian elite in 2012 is headed by Vladimir Putin (64%, a year ago - 58%). Second place is Medvedev (41%). Third place S.Shoigu....

In the top ten traditionally is included Alla Pugacheva (18%), Mikhail Prokhorov (16% versus 9% in 2010), Vladimir Zhirinovsky (15%), Zyuganov (11%), A.Malahov (11%), Kirkorov (8%) and Patriarch Kirill (8%). With a small margin followed Lavrov (7%), Maxim Galkin (6%), N. Baskov (5%), Pozner (5%), E.Plushenko (5%) , S.Rotaru (5%).....

In November of 2013 Im at the Alexey Nemov's event supporting by Laureus Award with Boris Becker Getting a special award for Plushenko who is preparing for his 4th Olympic games

In 2012 10. Internationale Sportnacht: Award-Show in Switzerland http://www.flickr.com/photos/sportnachtdavos/sets/72157631969488059/

Today news http://fom.ru/obshchestvo/11248
Russia’s Public Opinion Foundation (FOM) has released the rating of the country’s most prominent policy makers, scientists, athletes and cultural figures in a bid to determine the Person of the Year.

Whom of Russian athletes would you call the person of the year?
1. Pole vault legend Yelena Isinbayeva has been titled the best Russian athlete of 2013. The twice Olympic champion and the breaker of several world records was backed by 6 percent of responders.
2. Prominent Russian figure skater Evgeni Plushenko gets 4 percent of votes.
3. Boxing champion Konstantin Tszyu has been named the third best athlete by 2 percent of respondents in the FOM opinion poll.

Which of the Russian athletes would you call a man of the year?
- Yelena Isinbayeva 6%
- Evgeni Plushenko 4 %:
- Mr. Tszyu2%
- Fedor Emelianenko 1%
- Nikolai Valuev 1%
- Olga Zaitseva 1%

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9s7axKQ-VI8 from 1:50 probably I would have been angry...the women wanted to shoot a photo with him continously

LRK

Record Breaker
Well I live in Russia.

First thing one has to know regarding this flag poll is that many Russians have the superstition that the flag bearer then fails in competition. Hockey is the most important, so they want their guys to avoid that fate. It's not that these superstitious voters want Plushenko to fail, they just don't care about figure skating.

But all in all, yes, except hockey players he is the most famous winter sport athlete in Russia.
Even those who know nothing about the sport, know him.
His name is the synonym to "figure skater". If someone goes to mass skating, he or she may jokingly say "I've been Plushenko today". People in his/her company will call such person "local Plushenko". For example, if you search instagram tag #плющенко you'll find pics of random people in the rinks.
Some know him only because of the Eurovision song contest in 2008 and because his wife is well-known in Russian show business. Also due to her Evgeni appears in mass media more often than any winter athlete.
Competitive longevity also works for him, he doesn't fall off the radar.

Yes, they appreciate him a lot and would like to see him in Sochi. Most of them know nothing about current state of ladies, pairs, ice dance and men's fields in figure skating. Most skaters they know are the ones participating in Ice Age TV show, and Plushenko.
Some say Evgeni is old and injured and therefore should retire, and some also hate him as they believe he has to much PR and because they don't like his wife. There's controversy in people's attitude to him, again the result of being very famous.

A bit like a Russian figure skating David Beckham then? The way people used to talk, one would think that, had he not changed hair style every other day, he wouldn't have missed those penalties... ;)

seniorita

Record Breaker
Isinbayeva is the man of the year?
:)
In our Olympic Games the important poll was who will be the last to light the flame, I see flagbearer is more important in Russia>?