Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: How important is Plushenko for Sochi Olympics?

Banned
    Zhenya wether he can win a medal or not, is still legitimate especially for Russia
    he is well known than any other Russian skater, V/T have some media exposures now but still in nowhere near as popular as Plushenko

the younger skaters can replicate his impact and success is doubtful
    and Russian men is traditionally more popular than womens though with the rise of young female skaters its slowly changing but if they can find a wonder kid ala Yuzuru as Plushenko's heir they can dump any of the Russian wonder girls in a heart beat in exchange for 1 male superstar.

amongst the girls popularity only Julia Lipnitskaya can become a huge influence in Russian women's skating
    with her many vk followers and young girls aspiring to immitate her skating styles, Adelina and Elena comes a distant
    aside from them, I don't think anyone else can be even as half as popular as Plushenko will be.

Tripping on the Podium
    Well I live in Russia.

First thing one has to know regarding this flag poll is that many Russians have the superstition that the flag bearer then fails in competition. Hockey is the most important, so they want their guys to avoid that fate. It's not that these superstitious voters want Plushenko to fail, they just don't care about figure skating.

But all in all, yes, except hockey players he is the most famous winter sport athlete in Russia.
    Even those who know nothing about the sport, know him.
    His name is the synonym to "figure skater". If someone goes to mass skating, he or she may jokingly say "I've been Plushenko today". People in his/her company will call such person "local Plushenko". For example, if you search instagram tag #плющенко you'll find pics of random people in the rinks.
    Some know him only because of the Eurovision song contest in 2008 and because his wife is well-known in Russian show business. Also due to her Evgeni appears in mass media more often than any winter athlete.
    Competitive longevity also works for him, he doesn't fall off the radar.

Quote Originally Posted by snowflake View Post
    In short I wonder how much the Russians(except for figure skating fans) appreciate Plushenko and think it is important that he competes in Sochi.
    Yes, they appreciate him a lot and would like to see him in Sochi. Most of them know nothing about current state of ladies, pairs, ice dance and men's fields in figure skating. Most skaters they know are the ones participating in Ice Age TV show, and Plushenko.
    Some say Evgeni is old and injured and therefore should retire, and some also hate him as they believe he has to much PR and because they don't like his wife. There's controversy in people's attitude to him, again the result of being very famous.

But he isn't and that's my point.I can name three other men capable of winning a gold medal for Russia: Legkov and Vylegzhanin in cross country skiing and Ustyugov (gold in Vancouver) in biathlon. And I don't know about other disciplinces. That's why I'm asking how big Plushenlo is compared to other Russian athletes
    Some details about his popularity and notoriety, he is not only an athlete , he is celebrity.

n 2010 He won the "Google Trendy Award 2010" for "Athlete of the Year! Search with Google" (Trends of the year in the Russian Internet) http://evgeni-plushenko.com/forum/vi...y+award#p47290
    In March of 2010 Albert Prince of Monaco invited him to a Celebration

In 2012 Athlete of the year ( He was already No.1 - 2006 and 2007! ... 3rd 2008 and 2009, 2nd 2010, 3rd 2011..)

In 2011
    Top 20 Russian elite version by Levada Center http://www.polit.ru/news/2011/01/25/elite/

1. Vladimir Putin
    2. Dmitry Medvedev
    3. Sergei Shoigu
    4. Vladimir Zhirinovsky
    5. Alla Pugacheva
    6. Gennady Zyuganov
    7. Iosif Kobzon
    8. Nikita Mikhalkov
    9. Metropolitan Kirill
    10. Valentina Matvienko
    11. Boris Gryzlov
    12. Sergey Lavrov
    13. Roman Abramovich
    14. Evgeni Plushenko ( ONLY ATHLETE IN THE LIST
    15. Sergei Sobyanin
    16. Vladimir Pozner
    17. Yuri Luzhkov
    18. Philip Kirkorov
    19. Igor Cool
    20. Leonid Roshal

Ranking of elite people from 2006-2012
    RATING OF RUSSIAN ELITE 2012:
    http://wciom.ru/index.php?id=459&uid=113505

MOSCOW, December 26, 2012 All-Russian Public Opinion Research Center (VCIOM) presents an annual ranking of the Russian elite, that is - people who have the most merit for the reputation of Russia in their fields...

Rating of the Russian elite in 2012 is headed by Vladimir Putin (64%, a year ago - 58%). Second place is Medvedev (41%). Third place S.Shoigu....

In the top ten traditionally is included Alla Pugacheva (18%), Mikhail Prokhorov (16% versus 9% in 2010), Vladimir Zhirinovsky (15%), Zyuganov (11%), A.Malahov (11%), Kirkorov (8%) and Patriarch Kirill (8%). With a small margin followed Lavrov (7%), Maxim Galkin (6%), N. Baskov (5%), Pozner (5%), E.Plushenko (5%) , S.Rotaru (5%).....

In November of 2013 Im at the Alexey Nemov's event supporting by Laureus Award with Boris Becker Getting a special award for Plushenko who is preparing for his 4th Olympic games

In 2012 10. Internationale Sportnacht: Award-Show in Switzerland http://www.flickr.com/photos/sportna...7631969488059/

Today news http://fom.ru/obshchestvo/11248
    Russia’s Public Opinion Foundation (FOM) has released the rating of the country’s most prominent policy makers, scientists, athletes and cultural figures in a bid to determine the Person of the Year.

Whom of Russian athletes would you call the person of the year?
    1. Pole vault legend Yelena Isinbayeva has been titled the best Russian athlete of 2013. The twice Olympic champion and the breaker of several world records was backed by 6 percent of responders.
    2. Prominent Russian figure skater Evgeni Plushenko gets 4 percent of votes.
    3. Boxing champion Konstantin Tszyu has been named the third best athlete by 2 percent of respondents in the FOM opinion poll.

Which of the Russian athletes would you call a man of the year?
    - Yelena Isinbayeva 6%
    - Evgeni Plushenko 4 %:
    - Mr. Tszyu2%
    - Fedor Emelianenko 1%
    - Nikolai Valuev 1%
    - Olga Zaitseva 1%

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9s7axKQ-VI8 from 1:50 probably I would have been angry...the women wanted to shoot a photo with him continously

Quote Originally Posted by mielikki View Post
    Well I live in Russia.

First thing one has to know regarding this flag poll is that many Russians have the superstition that the flag bearer then fails in competition. Hockey is the most important, so they want their guys to avoid that fate. It's not that these superstitious voters want Plushenko to fail, they just don't care about figure skating.

But all in all, yes, except hockey players he is the most famous winter sport athlete in Russia.
    Even those who know nothing about the sport, know him.
    His name is the synonym to "figure skater". If someone goes to mass skating, he or she may jokingly say "I've been Plushenko today". People in his/her company will call such person "local Plushenko". For example, if you search instagram tag #плющенко you'll find pics of random people in the rinks.
    Some know him only because of the Eurovision song contest in 2008 and because his wife is well-known in Russian show business. Also due to her Evgeni appears in mass media more often than any winter athlete.
    Competitive longevity also works for him, he doesn't fall off the radar.

Yes, they appreciate him a lot and would like to see him in Sochi. Most of them know nothing about current state of ladies, pairs, ice dance and men's fields in figure skating. Most skaters they know are the ones participating in Ice Age TV show, and Plushenko.
    Some say Evgeni is old and injured and therefore should retire, and some also hate him as they believe he has to much PR and because they don't like his wife. There's controversy in people's attitude to him, again the result of being very famous.
    A bit like a Russian figure skating David Beckham then? The way people used to talk, one would think that, had he not changed hair style every other day, he wouldn't have missed those penalties...

leave no stone unturned seniorita's Avatar
    Isinbayeva is the man of the year?

In our Olympic Games the important poll was who will be the last to light the flame, I see flagbearer is more important in Russia>?

If it's Plushenko vs. Kovtun, I think Plushenko should be sent even if he's not in TOP form. After all, it was because of Kovtun's poor finish at the last World Championships that Russia went down to one spot. He could implode majorly at the Olympics.

Quote Originally Posted by mielikki View Post
    He was admittedly more popular before the private life scandals and when Yana Rudkovskaya was not his wife. But need to say, his wife is very popular and hated in the same time as the most of celebrities.

And you don't forget the "Live с Плющенко" reality show TV series in 2007/2008. The reporters followed him on his shows in Russia, Italy and Japan. Those videos are on Youtube.

Thanks a lot mielikki for your long and interesting answer. So I understand many Russians appreciate Plushenko, though they know nothing about figure skating.

Quote Originally Posted by seniorita View Post

In our Olympic Games the important poll was who will be the last to light the flame, I see flagbearer is more important in Russia>?
    To light the flame would be an easier and funnier task for him. Just running, walking, skating or whatever some meters and be in the eyes of billions...

Tripping on the Podium
    Quote Originally Posted by LRK View Post
    A bit like a Russian figure skating David Beckham then? The way people used to talk, one would think that, had he not changed hair style every other day, he wouldn't have missed those penalties...
    Pretty much the same.

Quote Originally Posted by plushyfan View Post
    He was admittedly more popular before the private life scandals and when Yana Rudkovskaya was not his wife. But need to say, his wife is very popular and hated in the same time as the most of celebrity.
    Back then he competed more often and had this exciting rivalry with Yagudin. And skating itself had been more popular in Russia, it had more comprehensible marks system.
    I'm not interested in pop music so for me Evgeni is a star much bigger than his wife, and before they got married I didn't even know her face. But for those who follow all the celebrity scandals and gossips it may be otherwise. So, until Mr. Kovtun marries or at least dates some showbiz newsmaker, Russia has only one skater

Custom Title
    Has the question been posed - and if so, any response been provided - to Plushenko about the Anti-Gay laws in Russia?

Thanks a lot mielikki for your long and interesting answer. So I understand many Russians appreciate Plushenko, though they know nothing about figure skating.

To light the flame would be an easier and funnier task for him. Just running, walking, skating or whatever some meters and be in the eyes of billions...
    Actually, in this article from today:

http://www.allsportinfo.ru/index.php?id=78695

"Evgeni Plushenko admitted to the special correspondent of the Agency of sport information "All Sport" Mary Vorobevoj that he is ready to become the standard-bearer. "If I was entrusted to carry Russian flag at the opening of the Olympic Games home, I would certainly agree - said Plushenko. - It's an honor for me! But first, after all, have to go through qualifying championship of Russia, which will be held in Sochi in late December. And only then you can get ahead, think about the next competition. " "

(Google translate)

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by lcd View Post
    Has the question been posed - and if so, any response been provided - to Plushenko about the Anti-Gay laws in Russia?
    Plushenko was the highest-profile signatory on a petition protesting against the laws some months ago, when it was first passed.

In fact, you could probably say that Plushenko is, so far, the only skater to have done something, rather than just talk about it.

(Not that I blame any of the Olympic hopefuls for staying quiet or anything, I hasten to add.)

Quote Originally Posted by LRK View Post
    Actually, in this article from today:

http://www.allsportinfo.ru/index.php?id=78695

"Evgeni Plushenko admitted to the special correspondent of the Agency of sport information "All Sport" Mary Vorobevoj that he is ready to become the standard-bearer. "If I was entrusted to carry Russian flag at the opening of the Olympic Games home, I would certainly agree - said Plushenko. - It's an honor for me! But first, after all, have to go through qualifying championship of Russia, which will be held in Sochi in late December. And only then you can get ahead, think about the next competition. " "

(Google translate)
    Yeah, to carry the flag you have to be a participant. But a legend/celebrity can be chosen to light the fire. Which for Sochi I guess wil be a hockey player from the eighties... Fetisov, Krutov... ?

Quote Originally Posted by lcd View Post
    He signed a petition against to the same law, against the law maker in St. Petersburg. Not to mention he invited to his shows Johnny Weir. I think this is no accident, they are good friends. Johnny is an openly gay person, the Russians know about him this information. Plushy's shows will be held in Russian Far East and in Siberia too..

Yeah, to carry the flag you have to be a participant. But a legend/celebrity can be chosen to light the fire. Which for Sochi I guess wil be a hockey player from the eighties... Fetisov, Krutov... ?
    Tretiak!!!!! I would like to see him!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast