Small Mistake in Camera policy | Golden Skate

Small Mistake in Camera policy

MFarone

Final Flight
Country
United-States
In the FAQs on the Boston 2014 website it says this about cameras:

Note: The U.S. Figure Skating camera and video policy overrides the standard TD Garden No Camera policy printed on the ticket. All other TD Garden policies will apply, including Security/Bags as well as Food and Beverage. The same policies will be in effect at the BCEC and The Skating Club of Boston.

Camera and Video Policy (PDF)

I hope with that statement on the website that no one is going to be hassled about their camera. The PDF goes into all kinds of detail about the camera itself. It is unfortunate that the "no cameras" couldn't have been eliminated from the ticket. I'm sure that many people will see that and just figure that no, they aren't allowed to bring any kind of camera.

I'm not aware of anyone getting a response from TD Garden customer service about the no bag issue. For that matter, I don't think anyone got a response to any emails to their customer service people. I sent 2 emails and didn't receive an answer to either one.

CoyoteChris

Record Breaker
Susan told me my thin zippered soft briefcase wouldn't be an issue..but she is not the final word..I can see that for any event, a seat cushion, a bag left unattended, even a heavy winter coat is a headache for security people in this day and age...they have to draw the line somewhere and decide what level of search to use at the main gates. I am glad I am not them.
"Due to increased security measures bags, backpacks, luggage, laptops, coolers, parcels, or briefcases are NOT permitted at any 2014 U.S. Championships arena. Personal items such as women’s handbags of normal size may be allowed entry after search. For complete details of Security Policies at TD Garden, visit the TD Garden web site or contact [email protected] or 617-624-1331 with specific concerns. The same policies will be in effect at the BCEC."
It appears to me they can ban what they want. Note that they used the word "may" for women's handbags...their choice.
The camera policy is standard USFSA...don't interfere with others and No Telephoto Lens greater than 6 inches or 200 mm. I don't have a problem with that. Unfortunately, there are the same individuals who come year after year, put their cameras on "machine gun", and shoot every skater during the performances...and cant or wont turn off their clicking machine's "make fake clicking noise" function......
(BTW,I also did not receive a reply about the bag policy)

In the FAQs on the Boston 2014 website it says this about cameras:

Note: The U.S. Figure Skating camera and video policy overrides the standard TD Garden No Camera policy printed on the ticket. All other TD Garden policies will apply, including Security/Bags as well as Food and Beverage. The same policies will be in effect at the BCEC and The Skating Club of Boston.

Camera and Video Policy (PDF)

I hope with that statement on the website that no one is going to be hassled about their camera. The PDF goes into all kinds of detail about the camera itself. It is unfortunate that the "no cameras" couldn't have been eliminated from the ticket. I'm sure that many people will see that and just figure that no, they aren't allowed to bring any kind of camera.

I'm not aware of anyone getting a response from TD Garden customer service about the no bag issue. For that matter, I don't think anyone got a response to any emails to their customer service people. I sent 2 emails and didn't receive an answer to either one.

MFarone

Final Flight
Country
United-States
Chris I know exactly what you mean about that rapid fire photo shooting. I''ve dealt with that at Nationals with a photographer from a fs magazine and a fan at Skate Detroit. All I could hear was the camera and it drove me nuts.

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
shoot every skater during the performances...and cant or wont turn off their clicking machine's "make fake clicking noise" function

DSLRs - at least in my experience - still make that sound legitimately - they are not "fake".

I rapid fire, it's how one shoots sports photography.

that being said their bag policy will probably deter a lot of photogs from bringing their equipment since a clear bag is not a safe camera bag. (but it will make the USFSA happy because folks won't be able to smuggle in their longer lenses... know of a couple of people that do that regularly. 200mm is long enough for me.)

CoyoteChris

Record Breaker
Yes, quite right...although it amazes me how they get a mechanism to work as fast as they do now....My camping buddy at the Reno Air Races takes 10,000 to 15,000 shots a day...for a week....there is no time to look at that amount of data so he just buys hard drives, fills them up, and goes on to the next air show.....I don't mind people who want to shoot and make lots of noise...just don't do it in my ear....its a sporting event...but its also a performance.
I realize I am a fossil....but I also don't like mothers screaming at their babies on the ice during a performance or comp of synchro skating...if I want to hear women screaming, I will turn on the "Today" show.

Chris the old **** with a point and shoot

DSLRs - at least in my experience - still make that sound legitimately - they are not "fake".

that being said their bag policy will probably deter a lot of photogs from bringing their equipment since a clear bag is not a safe camera bag. (but it will make the USFSA happy because folks won't be able to smuggle in their longer lenses... know of a couple of people that do that regularly. 200mm is long enough for me.)

b-man

Final Flight

My DSLR has a telephoto that is under 6 inches (within guidelines), but 250mm, (out of guidelines). I was able to use it at Greensboro, San Jose and Omaha, but not in Canada. I normally shoot only the practices, preferring to watch and enjoy the actual competitions, and not bother others. I am sure I will be hasseled sometime during the week. I shot about 1,000 shots over 6 days last year, but to get a decent shot of a skater in a spin or jump, you must shoot many shots, as over half turn out poorly.

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
I shot about 1,000 shots over 6 days last year, but to get a decent shot of a skater in a spin or jump, you must shoot many shots, as over half turn out poorly.

yup. I typically shoot more at practices than at the actual competition, but they don't always practice in their competition costumes, so the camera comes to everything.