If T & D are The Greatest Ice Dancers of All Time, then... | Golden Skate

If T & D are The Greatest Ice Dancers of All Time, then...

ATW27

On the Ice
The Recent discussion on just what made Torvill & Dean the greatest Ice Dancers of all time (no arguement there) got me to thinking; Who would you guys consider to be the second only to T & D in greatness in the history of Ice Dance? Pakhomova & Gorshkov? Bestemianova & Bukin? The Duchesnays? Klimova & Ponomarenko? Grishuk & Platov? Anissina & Peizerat? Someone other team? Like T & D, I'm talking about their overall impact on the sport, and not just "oh, so and so, because they won this many world and Olympic medals".
So, who's your pick? (I am still considering mine).

Andy W.

Ptichka

Forum translator
Record Breaker
For me, it's Bestemianova & Bukin. I know many though of them as "over-the-top", but to me they really trascended their midium for a truly unique effect.

After that, it a tie for me between Gretchuk & Platov and Klimova & Ponomarenko. The former had more explosive emotional power, while the latter had a truly magical finesse.

lulu

Final Flight
Great question, Andy...

I have only seen one performance of Pakhomova and Gorskov, but they are definently towards the top. Just for merging ballroom and ballet, and really defining modern ice dance.

But, if I had to pick the so called "second greatest ice dance couple" my vote would definently have to go to Gritchuk and Platov. Some might complain that they were too frantic, but they brought breathtaking speed to the sport. They were great technicians and IMO, did a lot to influence the sport in a technical aspect.

After that, I would have to go with Usova & Zhulin, Klimova and Ponomarenko, and Bestemianova and Bukin. All of these teams were very strong, technical dancers. With great artistic merit. I really enjoy K&P's professional programs. U&Z, IMO could have done so much more. B&B were a little "over the top"-but hey, I like that! They also did a lot to influence theatre in ice dance. And today are involved in ice theater in Moscow.

hockeyfan228

Record Breaker
I haven't seen much of Pakhomova and Gorskov, so I may be leaving them off inadvertently.

But of those I've seen, I'd say Usova and Zhulin. I've never seen any skater in any discipline with the deep edges she had.

Grgranny

Da' Spellin' Homegirl
I'd have to vote for A & P. G & P would be next. Although I liked all of them except B & B. Just never liked them at all.

lulu

Final Flight
I just downloaded U&Z 1992 Olympic FD-it is absolutely incredible, the lifts, edges. It was great to see.

Grgranny

Da' Spellin' Homegirl
How do you do that? I was there and I don't remember if it was the free or not but when they fell, it was in a place we couldn't see.

Jaana

Record Breaker
Country
Finland
I´ll vote for Anissina & Peizerat and Gritschuk & Platov.

Marjaana

JonnyCoop

Record Breaker
This is a tough one. Of the couples I've actually seen (1980 and beyond), I'd have to go with Bestemianova & Bukin myself, tho a strong case could be made for Klimova & Ponomarenko.

Historically, tho, Pakhomova & Gorshkov could arguably be #2. Certainly they set the stage for all the ensuing "drama" in dance that came later, and they had one of the best records out there. Also a case could be made for late-60s champs Diane Towler & Bernard Ford, who in their day certainly got a lot of Torvill-and-Dean type buzz.

I think Bourne & Kraatz COULD have been the next Torvill & Dean, tho at some point in their career IMO their free dances became less interesting. Certainly they had excellent technique and expression, tho their lifts were never anything to write home about (IMO) in relation to what their competition was doing, except for last season.

Don't get me started on Gritshuk & Platov -- they had their moments, but also probably made more blatant mistakes in their programs than any other dance couple on that level. I find their 4-year utter domination to be a bit mystifying and quite frankly rather suspicious.

LarasB

Rinkside
Next to Torvill & Dean, my opinion is Anissina & Peizerat, the Dushenays, Klimova & Ponomarenko.

Antilles

Medalist
K&P, and the Duchesneys-can't forget them. Just for their Jungle beat alone. I love A&P, and while they had an impact on those skating at the same time, I don't think their impact will last.

heyang

Record Breaker
Didn't Chris Dean choreograph for the Duschenays? I remember reading that Isabelle was upset that her hubby wouldn't work exclusively with her and her brother.

Anyway, after T&D, my faves are B&K - although I do agree with the others who found them less interesting in their later years. For me, they became more like everyone else instead of themselves.

I've also enjoyed Pomenarenko & Klimova. As professionals, I've enjoyed Punsalen & Swallow - thought they were underrated as amateurs. Roca/Sur are also excellent.

At this point, I see Belbin/Agosto as better than L&T. The former team seems to be stronger as individuals and as a team.

Enero

On the Ice
In no particular or Pomenarano & Klimevdo (I know I spelled the name wrong so forgive me :)

Grishok & Platov

and of course Anissina & Peizerant