Total speculation...Mary Beth Marley and Matthew Blackmer? | Golden Skate

Total speculation...Mary Beth Marley and Matthew Blackmer?

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
This is total speculation....however a few tweets caught my eye.

About an hour ago Matthew Blackmer, who recently ended his partnership with Brittany Simpson, tweeted:

Matthew Blackmer ‏@MattBmer 1h
Can't wait for the future. Specifically, Monday. #ItsHere!!

He then retweeted a tweet from Mary Beth Marley:
Mary Beth Marley ‏@mbmarley19 18 Dec
So many bright things coming up i am so excited for all that is about to come!!!!!!
#excitment #anxiouslywaiting

I've noticed that both have made tweets in reference to "the future" in the last few weeks. I didn't think too much about it then, but now...it seems there was more to them than hopeful thinking.

Curious if there is a new partnership in the works...

Anyway, it could turn out to be nothing...but I can say that their tweets piqued my curiosity. And height wise it would work: Matthew is 5'8" and Mary Beth Marley is 4'9" (Brittany, acc to her ISU bio was nearly 5'3").

Also the age difference is just a few years: Matthew just turned 22 and Mary Beth is 18.

samson

Medalist
Hmmmm that would be very interesting indeed!

This is a team I'd be very interested in seeing develop... I suppose we may know something more come Monday.

GF2445

Record Breaker
This is great news for mary beth. Its great to see that she is starting to get everything back together again. Hopefully this is true and they will be a great pair team in a couple of years time.

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
I hope to heck they don't stay with Dalilah Sapenfield :bang: Blackmer's coach, but move on to Marley's last coach John Nicks (or someone else). Given that Nicks is semi-retired, I suspect they'll be with Dalilah, sad to say.

gold12345

Medalist
Sappenfield is great. But training in Colorado would of course require another move for Mary Beth, and she's been through a lot lately with the serious health issues and the moving of her and her family from Illinois to California and back to Illinois, and she's still only 18. If a partnership happens, I hope they do what makes her the most comfortable.

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
So Matthew Blackmer just completed a road trip to... Chicago. According to Google Maps, the drive from Colorado Springs to Chicago is 15 hours. His twitter indicates he left yesterday, so record time.

Matthew Blackmer ‏@MattBmer
Chillin' in Chi town. Big day tomorrow!!
6:40 PM - 22 Dec 13

And yet a few more tweets from Mary Beth:

Mary Beth Marley ‏@mbmarley19
It's here!!!!!!!! I can't believe it!!!!!!
5:22 PM - 22 Dec 13

Mary Beth Marley ‏@mbmarley19
If you told me last year where and what I am doing at this time this year.... I would have said that is never going to happen!!!
5:25 PM - 22 Dec 13

So I think it's pretty obvious that a tryout is happening tomorrow. Hope it goes well!

ice coverage

Record Breaker
So Matthew Blackmer just completed a road trip to... Chicago. ...

So I think it's pretty obvious that a tryout is happening tomorrow. Hope it goes well!

@MattBmer
Amazing morning. Back to gypsy life. Good afternoon, Indiana.
10:31 AM - 23 Dec 13
https://twitter.com/MattBmer/status/415187884384083968

And yes, Marley retweeted it. ;)

Mrs. P is incredible :bow: -- not that we weren't already aware of her superior powers of observation.

(As an aside: So I guess a tryout of only a few hours could result in a partnership that hopefully will last for years -- and that will require at least one of the partners to make a major relocation. What an act of faith for both partners.)

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
For now, Matthew Blackmer isn't going public with the tryout yet, at least in this update from Sarah Brannan and Drew Meekins on Ice Network:
http://web.icenetwork.com/news/2013/12/23/66158120/the-inside-edge-koleto-min-feel-lov

U.S. junior pairs champion Matt Blackmer called from the road Sunday, in the midst of a 24-hour drive to Detroit to spend time at home for the holiday.

"I just crossed the border from Nebraska into Iowa," he said.

Blackmer and his former partner, Britney Simpson, split up earlier this month. He says he wants to continue with skating for another four years.

"I've had a great career, and I could go get a full-time job, but I'm not done yet," he said. "There's still so much more I want to accomplish in skating. I'm so lucky to be able to do what I'm doing every day. I've decided it's time to buckle down and find a partner."

Blackmer hasn't had any tryouts yet but says he is diligently looking for opportunities.

After Christmas, Blackmer will head to Boston to watch the U.S. championships.

"I'm going there to support all of my friends," he said. "Of course, I would have loved to compete, because it's the Olympic trials. I had no expectations of making the team, but it would have been an honor. But to cheer on my friends who have a real opportunity to go, I'll be way more nervous for them. I'm going to need some serious hugging!"

Of course, as of Sunday, he hadn't had any tryouts yet..... ;)

So it sounds like the road trip's final destination is actually Detroit, where he is originally from. But how convenient that the Chicago area was along the way.

Anyway, I hope we hear something official soon.

mskater93

Record Breaker
For now, Matthew Blackmer isn't going public with the tryout yet, at least in this update from Sarah Brannan and Drew Meekins on Ice Network:
http://web.icenetwork.com/news/2013/12/23/66158120/the-inside-edge-koleto-min-feel-lov

Of course, as of Sunday, he hadn't had any tryouts yet..... ;)

So it sounds like the road trip's final destination is actually Detroit, where he is originally from. But how convenient that the Chicago area was along the way.

Anyway, I hope we hear something official soon.

Indiana, though, sounds like Zaitsev, possibly?

tulosai

Record Breaker
So nothing ever came of this...

I know this is bumping a really old thread but last night I had a dream about Mary Beth Marley :)

Does anyone have any recent news about her? Is she still (in theory) looking to return to skating?

Sam-Skwantch

“I solemnly swear I’m up to no good”
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Dream inspired posts :thumbsup:

Sorry I have no insight on the matter though:slink: