Japanese Nationals 2013-2014 - Men | Page 16 | Golden Skate

Japanese Nationals 2013-2014 - Men

aftertherain

Record Breaker
Thank you so much for this translation! I'm glad to hear that Taka is not giving up, and he plans to work hard and keep going.

Agreed.

Hopefully he'll stick it out until 2018, but for now, I am only happy that he at least got a chance to experience the dream in 2010.

Violet Bliss

Record Breaker
It's hard to imagine the stress and emotional roller coaster these Japanese skaters went through since the competition. Well, maybe since before the competition and still something to deal with. Poor Oda was dealt the definitive blow right off. Dai and Koz had to endure the maybe agonizing uncertainty. Now Dai can celebrate and begin his preparation and Kozuka has to nurse the pain and somehow rebound.

It's not easy being a top athlete.

emdee

Final Flight
Kozuka's tears sadden me.
Even a Worlds silver medalist in this quad cannot go to Olympics due to deep field.

He cannot go because he was unable to come upto scratch for the last two years. I love Kozuka's lightness on the blades but he doesnt have consistency. While I feel really sad for him I understand the federation choice of Dai.

CanadianSkaterGuy

Record Breaker
Takahashi deserves to be at the Olympics. His NHK victory this season shows what he can do and the Japanese selection criteria looks at World standing. He just really needs to replace that second Quad attempt with a 3Lutz+3Toe. I still think it's possible for him to win Olympics. Skating a perfect SP + a perfect LP with one Quad can get him the title if Patrick and Hanyu aren't their very best.

Most guys will be attempting 2 quads, and so should Dai. Just like Lysacek arguably shouldn't have won gold no quad attempt in 2010, any guy going for just one quad attempt in 2014 really shouldn't win the gold unless the whole field bombs. To revise your statement... with just 1 quad, Takahashi might win if Patrick and Hanyu and others are far from their best. Hanyu and Chan can still afford a fall and one minor error if they have a 2nd quad and any other competitor (even Dai) only has one quad.

Congrats to the national team. Obviously the crowd reaction shows that Dai would make the team no matter how he skated. Hopefully Takahashi recovers from injury and does well in Sochi. :) It will certainly be a more interesting competition with him.

I feel horrible for Kozuka/Oda, who essentially skated just as a formality. :disapp: This should have just been a 3-person competition between Kozuka/Oda/Machida, as Hanyu and Takahashi were making the team no matter how well or poorly they skated. :rolleye:

If this is what the JSF does when their marquee skater bombs both programs but still makes the team, then Kovtun/Voronov/etc. are sooo screwed.

Frenchie

I'm gonna customize the CRAP out of this title!
Medalist
I am very happy for Daisuke - maybe he didn't earn his spot at this competition, but he deserves to go. The audience in Japan thinks so, too, given by the amount of applause he received when they announced his name

The japanese audience's reaction is as much an indicator of what the fair decision was/would have been as if you announced at an american cheerleading conference that the Nobel Peace Prize had just been awarded to Justin Bieber.
I'm not saying it wasn't ok to choose Daisuke, but I'm just saying that he's a rock star, in Japan even much more than anywhere else, regardless if he even landed a single jump. So their reaction isn't a justification for choosing him at all to me.

I feel horrible for Kozuka/Oda, who essentially skated just as a formality. :disapp: This should have just been a 3-person competition between Kozuka/Oda/Machida, as Hanyu and Takahashi were making the team no matter how well or poorly they skated. :rolleye:

Yup. My heart breaks for Takahiko. Olympic Year, 3 spots for the men, and he finishes 3rd at the Nationals, 2 spots ahead of Daisuke.
But I knew that the only available spot was always Machida's.

But as I've written yesterday,
Like any athlete, if he gets chosen to go, I can't imagine he would "decline". Noone should ask that of him. It's his dream to compete at the Olympics. Just as it is Takahiko's. So whoever gets chosen, I sincerely hope they won't get bombarded by people discussing that "it should have been the other one" and telling him "you should give your spot away".

--WHAT I HOPE WILL HAPPEN
They send Kozuka. They all competed for 3 spots with a huge amount of pressure, and he earned his 3rd place today.
--WHAT I THINK WOULD BE FAIR
They organize a shootout between Kozuka and Takahashi at a later date: 4CC or just the 2 of them, factoring in their performances of the entire practice sessions to figure out who's fitter.
--WHAT I FEAR WILL HAPPEN
They send Takahashi, basta.
--MY PSYCHADELIC NIGHTMARE OF WHAT HAPPENS
They announce that they will only send 2 men to the Olympics and give away the last spot, with the message that "WE DO WHATEVER WE WANT! THIS IS NOT A DEMOCRACY!" Of course, this results in the JFSF being overthrown in a bloodbath. The Japanese Government gets overthrown as well, kind of as a casualty. Vive la révolution!

MasterB

Final Flight
From a Team Perspective I would have chosen Dai to represent Japan at the Olys as well. If healed, Dai has a greater chance to medal than a healthy Kozuka or Oda.

As much as I hate the media hunting down people when they are at their most vulnerable I think it was important for the audience to catch Kozuko when they did so that we could all see his true pain. I felt sick to my stomach for him.

This was a competition I won't soon forget.

CanadianSkaterGuy

Record Breaker
The japanese audience's reaction is as much an indicator of what the fair decision was/would have been as if you announced at an american cheerleading conference that the Nobel Peace Prize had just been awarded to Justin Bieber.
I'm not saying it wasn't ok to choose Daisuke, but I'm just saying that he's a rock star, in Japan even much more than anywhere else, regardless if he even landed a single jump. So their reaction isn't a justification for choosing him at all to me.

Agreed. But to the Japanese Fed it's way more marketable to have Takahashi instead of Kozuka/Oda, even if it's unfair to the latter. It's the same reason I think Kovtun/Voronov/etc. are wasting their energy when their fed is probably inclined to send Plushenko regardless of how any of them skate, since he'll draw way more popularity and attention to the event.

Frenchie

Medalist
Agreed. But to the Japanese Fed it's way more marketable to have Takahashi instead of Kozuka/Oda, even if it's unfair to the latter. It's the same reason I think Kovtun/Voronov/etc. are wasting their energy when their fed is probably inclined to send Plushenko regardless of how any of them skate, since he'll draw way more popularity and attention to the event.

yup. And given the World Champs will be in Japan, the JFSF will for sure want Daisuke to go there as well. That's why they didn't announce that he'd go to the Olympics but Takahiko would go to Worlds.
I can't imagine him giving up on the chance of having his last worlds at home. The only theoretical way I could imagine would be if he got a medal in Sochi and decided he wants to end his career on this high.
But even then, I'd say he'd still decide to compete at the Worlds.

About Plushenko: we saw last year that they
a)sent Kovtun (5th at Nationals) to the Europeans and not Menshov (3rd). Several russian athletes (incl. Trankov) signed a petition that Menshov should be sent. Didn't change a thing.
b)when Plushenko bailed out of Worlds, who did they send? Not Voronov (2nd), not Menshov (3rd), not Gachinski (4th), Yup, Kovtun again.
So I'm sad for the Russians for only having 1 spot, but I'd say it was mainly Plushenko's fault for not going to the HUGELY IMPORTANT EVENT where Russia gets their spots for Sochi, right after kicking everybody's behind at Europeans. He just assumed that he'd get the single spot (I'm afraid he'll be right, but...) that's why I'm so hoping for Kovtun to beat him and get the spot. Kovtun was put in a difficult position by his federation and by Plushenko last year when he wasn't ready for it. The GPs this far have shown that he can be ready.
I hope he makes it.
c) gave Bazarova/Larionov an unbelievable, ridiculously massive boost in scores in what was a very bad performance during their Nationals LP in 2012. Stolbova/Klimov had an amazing skate and got massively held back. Weird, it's almost as if THE RUSSIAN FS FEDERATION THOUGHT THAT THE RESULT AT NATIONALS MATTERS? lol

Frenchie

Medalist
c) gave Bazarova/Larionov an unbelievable, ridiculously massive boost in scores in what was a very bad performance during their Nationals LP in 2012. Stolbova/Klimov had an amazing skate and got massively held back. Weird, it's almost as if THE RUSSIAN FS FEDERATION THOUGHT THAT THE RESULT AT NATIONALS MATTERS? lol

Sorry, I had to look it up:
Stolbova/Klimov got 123.67 for this
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a_qJq2cvOYc
and Bazarova/Larionov got 126.03... for... that:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_kveBkeaOtw

I'll reformulate and post this in a Russian Nationals thread... We have to let it go... Japanese Nationals are OVER!!! ;)

Paola D

Rinkside
OMG that video. The men's Olympic team announcement was so funny(ish):

"The men's Olympic team is:

Hanyu Yuzuru"

*polite applause*

"Machida Tatsuki"

*polite applause*

"Takahashi Daisuke"

*GIANT ROAR OF APPLAUSE AND CHEERING*

Yes. Daisuke has a very special fan base in Japan, who follow him even to the end of the world, who will do anything for him (united), and won't hesitate to spend ¥¥¥¥¥¥¥ on him. Everytime he competes in Japan (or appears in a show), mojority of the audience is occupied with his fans. So, clapping and cheering for other skaters, pariticulary for skaters who are serious competitors for him (in the event) or who may be a little unbenefitial for him, become polite, or I should say not enthusiasitc, or shoud I say sometimes somehow silent? In events where Daisuke doesn't compete, it's a different story. They receive big applause and cheering. Their united action is really splendid. And this is his last season. I didn't think JSF and business related with fs could ignore them.

lavender

Record Breaker
I wish Kozuka got at least second and then they would add Dai. Based on a lot of factors I would have picked Dai. Plus he's still injured. Sorry I just don't have any connection with Machinda...he's pretty new to the scene.

deedee1

Record Breaker
It's been a week since the Nats, and lots of discussions on its outcome still keeps going here and other threads, I guess. Allow me to go back to the comp itself with my small report, please? ;)

I have atteneded this Nats with my husband for three days (except EX on DAY 4), was the second one we ever attended. To be honest, this Nats has been x10 times more exhausting and emotional than the first one (4 years ago in the Vancouver season)! >.< Still can not fully recover from it mentally, even though we were just watching it, not got competing at all of course.

Men SP -DAY 1
I have no idea on how many of skaters you guys actually saw either on TV or thru streamings, but from where we sat it seemed all TV cameras were covered during the first 3 groups (=18 skaters) and TV crews never bothered themselves for recording until the big boys on the ice...There were 30 skaters got competed in SP and a number of good skates we pretty much enjoyed, which never got aired, just like Fuji TV does at JNats year after year. :disagree:

I already wrote here about the final 2 groups with top skaters. The below are who skated in the earlier 3 groups and got my attention:

-Taichi Honda (15yo, 4th at Jr Nats): Less jump content (3T-3T, 3F & 2A), but good presentation. skated clean. a bit weak on edge work and speed still, but elegant. Is the oldest among the famous Honda brother/sisters.

-Sota Yamamoto (13yo, 5th at Jr Nats): Team Nagakubo. Skating to 'Tenchijin' OST, choreo by Miyamoto. Less jump content as Taichi, still a tiny boy but can skate big. presence on ice was remarkable already. good speed over all and presentation. very emotional. Got the ovation from many crowds! Reminds me of 2-3 years ago little Shoma, or should I say 15 years ago little Dai? ;) Remember his name.

-Shoma Uno (16yo, 2nd at Jr Nats): Juuuust fabulous! Though still a boy but can danace, skates big, his body language stood out, very expressive. Really a shame TV crew did not get it recorded...Big standing ovation. Scored over 72, placed 6th out of 30, and made it to final flight of Free. His surprised smile in KnC, with his coach Machiko Yamada and asst coach/choreographer Mihoko Higuchi, was priceless.

Sorry about Dice Murakami went down on 4S which got DG...Kento Nakamura missed 3A. Akio Sasaki was very entertaining skating to Japanese drum music, in spite of a fall on 3A. But only level 1 for this cool step sq? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UO_sy6a_jIE Really? :disapp: