Japanese Nationals 2013-2014 - Men | Page 10 | Golden Skate

Japanese Nationals 2013-2014 - Men

deneuved

On the Ice
Again, with the potential of being unpopular here - Takahashi didn't deliver, he didn't even come 4th, so he should stay at home. You cannot sent someone on past merits, and all those who say he is more likely to medal than Kozuka......well, who says that Takahashi would be any better in Sochi where the judges will be less forgiving with so many mistakes?

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
I think the difficulty is that Dai finished 5th.

They might just do the opposite of what you said & send Dai to the worlds instead.

Per the criteria, however, the JSF can rightfully send Daisuke to the Olympics since he has a better WR/SB than Takahiko.

Based on the criteria
1.) Hanyu (Japanese Champion)
2.) Machida/Kozuka. Machida will likely get the spot here
3.) Kozuka (3rd place finisher) or Takahashi (highest PB/WR behind Yuzuru)

Therefore the JSF could go either way.

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
Okay, I'm going to take a moment and say congrats to Yuzuru Hanyu, now two-time Japanese champion! And yes Machida is fantastic. Say what you want, but to go from not having a quad last season to being the only one among the men to do two in the FS tonight. And as I said earlier, I'm happy to see Kozuka looking better than he did earlier this season.

Giving Oda the third spot would make much more sense then giving it to Takahiko

Unfortunately the criteria doesn't allow that to happen unless you argue that Oda qualifies under criteria No. 2 as the highest podium finisher in GPF since Yuzuru nabbed a spot under criteria No.1

MaiKatze

Record Breaker
I think that maybe he shouldn't have competed here. But in the end I think he tried his best, despite not feeling up to it. That Daisuke is in tears about is, is for sure. He continued another 4 years after Vancouver to go to Sochi, that was his goal. The fact that it might not happen for him, is worth crying about.

avantgardener

Rinkside
OT to Avantgardener. Great user name! :)

Ha, why thank you :). And I genuflect before your own handle... you fly that math freak flag, you. (Incidentally, excited/nervous to teach my first ever course in this upcoming semester [in statistics!]... ha, even if many a mathematician might scoff at the mere suggestion that statistics = mathematics...)

But anyhoo... back to this skating heartbreak... poor Daisuke.

--Michael

rocketry

Rinkside
sorry, meant to reply to the post saying Oda should go. Kozuka's hip injury is why he hasn't been landing his lutzes. And Daisuke...

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
sorry, meant to reply to the post saying Oda should go. Kozuka's hip injury is why he hasn't been landing his lutzes. And Daisuke...

I will be really surprised if Oda gets picked for the team. Kozuka may be injured but the judges clearly think he did enough to beat Oda.

At this point, I hope Oda gets a Worlds team slot somehow.

Ha, why thank you :). And I genuflect before your own handle... you fly that math freak flag, you. (Incidentally, excited/nervous to teach my first ever course in this upcoming semester [in statistics]... ha, even if many a mathematician might scoff at the mere suggestion that statistics = mathematics...)

But anyhoo... back to this skating heartbreak...

--Michael

Welcome to GS and thank you for the link and the advice! I got to watch the last few performances with no problem. I'm a sucker for stats...so perhaps you can contribute in that arena regarding probabilities in figure skating (I strive to be the Nate Silver of GS, though I don't do that great of a job at it!).

NMURA

Medalist
Tanaka 139.74 68.74 71.00
4T<< 3A-2T 2F-2T 3A 3S-2T-2Lo 3Lz 3F 3Lo

Mura 145.47 70.47 75.00
4T overturn 3Lz-3T 1A-2T 1Lo 3A-3T stepout 3F 3Lz 3S

Hanyu 194.70 101.60 94.10 -1.0
4S fall 4T 3F 3A-3T 3A-2T 3Lo 3Lz-1Lo-3S 3Lz

Uno 144.34 72.74 72.60 -1.0
3A fall 3Lz 3Lo 3Lo-2T 3F-2T 3F 2A-3T-2T 3S

Oda 178.75 92.75 86.00
4T-3T 3T 3A-2T 3A 3Lz-1Lo-3S 3F 3Lo 2A

Takahashi 170.24 76.54 94.70 -1.0
4T< fall 4T<< 2foot 3A 3A hand-2T 3Lz-2T-2Lo 2Lo 3S 3F

Machida 183.82 96.92 86.90
4T 4T-2T 3A-3T 3A 3Lo 3Lz 3F-2T-2Lo 3S

Kozuka 174.11 86.11 89.00 -1.0
4T overturn 3A 3Lz-2T-2Lo 3A-2T 3F 3S 3Lz fall 2A-2T

xabia

On the Ice
Olympic places

You took the words right out of my mouth. I think they might do a compromise and send Takahashi to Sochi and Kozuka to Saitama for Worlds. That would make sense as Takahashi may still be a medal contender, assuming he's healthier and better trained by February. Kozuka probably won't medal in Sochi anyway- he hasn't been very consistent over the past two seasons and I think that's really hurt his standing with the international judges. Sadly, Oda probably won't get to go to either competition.

There really should be wild card/ at-large spots. The fact that Japan can only send 3 men is ridiculous.

I couldn't agree more. There'll be competitors representing their country who wouldn't manage to get near any of the top ten of the Japanese men, and yet they'll be given entry while better accomplished skaters have to stay at home just because of a stupid quota. We should forget about countries and quotas and give entry to 30 skaters who have the best average scores for the year, no matter which country they come from.

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
it seems daisuke thinks he will not be going to sochi ? :(

One thing you can say about Daisuke is that he is a humble and kind guy. Even though he technically still could qualify, you get the sense that he wanted to truly earn a spot on the team.

merleice

Rinkside
Per the criteria, however, the JSF can rightfully send Daisuke to the Olympics since he has a better WR/SB than Takahiko.

Based on the criteria
1.) Hanyu (Japanese Champion)
2.) Machida/Kozuka. Machida will likely get the spot here
3.) Kozuka (3rd place finisher) or Takahashi (highest PB/WR behind Yuzuru)

Therefore the JSF could go either way.

Agree. 5th place is not a problem. Miki Ando was 6th in 2005 Nationals and was named to the Olympics team. The criteria is what it is, even if some fans are unhappy

Nadia01

Final Flight
One think you can say about Daisuke is that he is a humble and kind guy. Even though he technically still could qualify, you get the sense that he wanted to truly earn a spot on the team.
Definitely. And I don't think he wants anybody to feel "robbed" or anything. He's one of the sweetest guys.

cinnamon

On the Ice
Forget about all other feeling and talking from health point of view, Daisuke is still in pain. He has pain in his landing foot, so he is scared to jump. Considering that 50 days left to Sochi (and training time), he should go to the Worlds instead.
And these three on the podium today should make Japanese team to fight in Sochi, they will do the excellent job.

bekalc

Record Breaker
Agree. 5th place is not a problem. Miki Ando was 6th in 2005 Nationals and was named to the Olympics team. The criteria is what it is, even if some fans are unhappy

And the Japanese federation got a lot of criticism for that one. I think the issue here is in general Daisuke's results have been going downhill in general.

Kozuka is also a former world medalist himself.

Add in Daisuke's injury too. The Japanese fed need to consider that Kozuka could fight for an Olympic medal too. So it really might not be wise to leave Dai off.