Japanese Nationals 2013-2014 - Men

StellaCampo

On the Ice
As Mrs P spelt out the criteria for selection:

Hanyu is already in, with JN gold;
Machida satisfies 2 criteria;
Kozuka and Takahashi each satisfy 1 criterion;
Oda satisfies no criteria.

Oda has already been discounted and he has already commented he has no regret etc to the press.
So the contest is between Kozuka and Takahashi. The Japanese press seems to be saying that with the points difference of 12, if Takahashi were to be selected, it would be a surprise selection.

fujiazhi

Spectator
BTW who was the kid in the kiss and cry who looked about twelve years old? I missed his skate due to buffering. He was in the final flight?

The kid was Shoma Uno skated right after Yuzuru, tiny but 16, juniour nationals silver medalist. His k&c was at least the oasys moment of this heartbreaking round.

MaiKatze

Record Breaker
Well, the young guns are in, in the form of Hanyu and Machida. It is three veterans who fought for the last spot. I would never describe Oda or Kozuka as promising skaters with potential for the future. They, especially Oda, are all classic material. I don't know if Kozuka ever said something about retiring after the Olympics, but I think Oda won't stay on another 4 years. If we're totally fair with no emotions involved, yes Daisuke must stay home and I guess, Kozuka is the one who must go.

Matilda

Medalist
I cant even watch the interview of Daisuke...this is heartbreaking (but we knew it would be no matter what). Dai seemed to be getting his grrove on at NHK and the the injury :cry:

Yuzu and Machida are clear 1 and 2 as far as I can see. I'd like to see Dai sent to the Olympics--not just as a Dai fan, but because he has performed better internationally this year than Kozuka. He has 50 days to heal better from his injury, and he thrives in the spotlight. Kozuka and Oda could both be sent to the Worlds, however, with either Yuzu or Machida. Sending this as a Christmas wish to Santa... :p

I think Machida is safe. Who could argue against him? That wouldn't make any sense. Funny, the three Olympians of 2010 are fighting for the Olympic spot in 2014. Or not so funny at all.....because it is the last chance for all three of them.

You could argue he is the least accomplished of the four in terms of past results. But given he fulfilled two criteria versus Kozuka and Takahashi's one as well as clearly beaten them at Nationals I hope he's a lock for the team.

I don't know if Kozuka ever said something about retiring after the Olympics, but I think Oda won't stay on another 4 years.

IIRC Oda announced this would be his final season.

bekalc

Record Breaker
You could argue he is the least accomplished of the four in terms of past results. But given he fulfilled two criteria versus Kozuka and Takahashi's one as well as clearly beaten them at Nationals I hope he's a lock for the team.

IIRC Oda announced this would be his final season.

They would be fools not to name Machida. He's been putting up high technical content all season long and they should start pushing him as their number 2. To be quite frank, I can easily see Machida on the Olympic podium, and I could even see him winning if Chan and Hanyu screw up, which isn't as unlikely as some may think.

The only way anyone's beating Chan is with high TES. Nobody's out doing him by PCS.

While Oda finished higher at GPF, I don't see Oda landing everything/doing everything at the Olympics. It is Oda we are talking about.

Panini

On the Ice
Congrats to all the podium finishers! Machida is probably a lock for an Olympic spot then? So happy for him!

I'd feel heartbroken for Kozuka or Oda if Takahashi got to go ahead of them but I suspect that's what JSF will do..

Violet Bliss

Record Breaker
Olympic heartbreaks happen in so many different ways. I remember Kurt's so well.

For over a year I've had a feeling Dai would not be competing at the Sochi Olympics though I had no idea how that would play out. Right now I think he will graciously decline the chance if offered. He made a major decision to stay in the sport for another full 4 years after all the glorious achievements he already had but at this point he is far from Japan's best hope for an Olympic medal. By withdrawing himself for Olympic consideration or declining an offer, he would end his competitive career graciously and heroically, sad as it is. The heartbreak is inevitable right now but should not linger. Looking back, Dai and all skating fans will have nothing but admiration and affection for him. His greatest achievement from all the years, including the extra 4 years, is all the hearts he's won over. I hope he and his fans will realize that's a greater success than any Olympic medal, including the one he already has. And his future is very very bright. The love for him will continue.

demarinis5

Gold for the Winter Prince!
Record Breaker
Olympic heartbreaks happen in so many different ways. I remember Kurt's so well.

For over a year I've had a feeling Dai would not be competing at the Sochi Olympics though I had no idea how that would play out. Right now I think he will graciously decline the chance if offered. He made a major decision to stay in the sport for another full 4 years after all the glorious achievements he already had but at this point he is far from Japan's best hope for an Olympic medal. By withdrawing himself for Olympic consideration or declining an offer, he would end his competitive career graciously and heroically, sad as it is. The heartbreak is inevitable right now but should not linger. Looking back, Dai and all skating fans will have nothing but admiration and affection for him. His greatest achievement from all the years, including the extra 4 years, is all the hearts he's won over. I hope he and his fans will realize that's a greater success than any Olympic medal, including the one he already has. And his future is very very bright. The love for him will continue.

Nice post SF! Thank you! :)

Tinymavy15

Sinnerman for the win
Record Breaker
My heart broke for Dai. Seeing his Olympic chances crushed was too awful to watch. He looked so strong earlier in the year too. Seeing how upset he was just made it worse.

MaiKatze

Record Breaker
^^^There is a lot of truth in what you posted. Unfortunately at the moment it still hurts too much for me to really be content with the way things worked out. If Daisuke hadn't competed the way he did at NHK just a month ago, I wouldn't be as sad. His outings last seasons were totally mixed, too. But with NHK in mind, I still feel he has it in him to really put out a wonderful, medal winning performance. No matter what - someone will be disappointed tomorrow.

This. :(

(Also: Takahashi is Vancouver's OGM in my book)

ks777

Record Breaker
According to the Japanese newspapers, Hanyu is on the team and so is Machida. The 3rd spot is between Kozuka and Takahashi. I feel bad for Oda. I feel like he was held down. If Oda medaled here, he would have had much stronger case than Kozuka. Kozuka was held up.

Srin Odessa

On the Ice
Congrats to all the podium finishers! Machida is probably a lock for an Olympic spot then? So happy for him!

I'd feel heartbroken for Kozuka or Oda if Takahashi got to go ahead of them but I suspect that's what JSF will do..

The only knock against him is the lack of experience at Olympics and Worlds. It possible he could be overwhelmed at skating during such an important event.

However, Machida has been very consistent across the Grand Prix and positioned himself as a dark horse for the Olympics. The old guard hasn't shown that they provide a strong back to back skates. He would do well to round out Hanyu (who will be under a lot of pressure) and a veteran (who can potentially provide some stability).

Violet Bliss

Record Breaker
^^^There is a lot of truth in what you posted. Unfortunately at the moment it still hurts too much for me to really be content with the way things worked out. If Daisuke hadn't competed the way he did at NHK just a month ago, I wouldn't be as sad. His outings last seasons were totally mixed, too. But with NHK in mind, I still feel he has it in him to really put out a wonderful, medal winning performance. No matter what - someone will be disappointed tomorrow.

Of course it hurts too much. That goes with the hope, proportionately. Personally, Dai's LP this season is probably my favorite of all his programs and I would rather watch him with all the flawed jumps than Yuzuru's WR performances. It would be a loss for the world not to see it at the Olympics. However, at Sochi, this will be a competitive sport with a judging system and the flawed jumps will keep him out of the podium, possibly very far from it. Dai's quads, which have become requisite for major titles, have not been reliable in the last four years and his physical state is an uncertainty by February. All the affection for him makes Japanese fed's decision very difficult, or at least projected as very difficult as it is indeed for his fans. I don't know what will happen in this selection, but it's a possibility that Dai may choose to make it easier for everybody. Just a speculation.

xabia

On the Ice
According to the Japanese newspapers, Hanyu is on the team and so is Machida. The 3rd spot is between Kozuka and Takahashi. I feel bad for Oda. I feel like he was held down. If Oda medaled here, he would have had much stronger case than Kozuka. Kozuka was held up.

I've just watched the first five on youtube, and I have to say that Oda's performance was superb. But I too am crying over Dai - he's such a wonderful character and will always be my favourite.

wonderlen3000

Final Flight
I think Dai should stay home. 3rd spot, should have given to Oda based on his season performances, getting 3 gp medals. IMO Kazuko has overscored on SP, with those two big mistakes, thou on paper, Oda had bigger mistake by turning his quad into triple and screwing up the whole planned combo.

Between now and Olympics, i doubt Dai would have time to heal properly and his jumps content are not going to cut it against like of Chan, Hanyu and Michida. At best Dai will land the quad with two footed and <, at worst will be a fall. Both his 3A are not what it used to be and that is already half of his jumping pass with deductions. Even his 90+ PCS will not save him enough on the points he given out with mistakes on jumps. So sad for Dai, but reality is what it is.