Japanese Nationals 2013-2014 - Men | Page 14 | Golden Skate

Japanese Nationals 2013-2014 - Men

Li'Kitsu

Record Breaker
This is like the toughest way the nationals could have played out, considering the decision for the 3rd spot. Takahashi is probably my all time favorite skater, I love Kozuka and Oda always makes me smile. I agree with those posters who said Oda would deserve the 3rd spot though. He's had the best GP series out of these 3, and he's healthy. Anyway, I think Takahashi will be the 3rd man for Sochi. Hopefully he'll get his injury healed until then!

gold12345

Medalist
As wallylutz said, I think that Kozuka getting the spot is very unlikely. He hasn't had a good season and his past international results aren't anywhere near as impressive as Takahashi's. Let's remember that Takahashi is a big star in Japan. He's popular and he draws in the crowds. Even though I don't think it's fair, I think the third spot will go to him.

I think it's completely fair. Takahashi has proven that he is more capable of doing well internationally than Kozuka, and he would be deserving of the Olympic spot. One national competition should never be enough to pick something as important as an Olympic team.

blue_idealist

Record Breaker
I haven't got a chance to comment yet. While I love Takahashi, his FS here was really dismal. He could barely do the jumps properly, and to top it off, he cut his hand (I did feel sorry for him for that). I don't think he's going to be anywhere near that podium in Sochi if he's sent. If I was choosing I'd go with Hanyu, Machida, and Oda. I know Oda was 4th, but he did really well on the GP series; better than Kozuka and sometimes Machida. Btw, I haven't ever been a big Machida fan, but I really enjoyed his performances at this competition, especially the LP. I actually enjoyed his LP more than I enjoyed Hanyu's. Hanyu's fall at the beginning kind of marred it, even though it was a fall on a quad.

Jedi

On the Ice
JSF has a nice problem who to pick for their men. I agree a lot depends or should depends on Dai's health or injury status. If Hanyu wins Oly gold maybe that would solve the problem as he might not go to world's then. I still think Hanyu is way overmarked for pcs regardless of Japanese inflation too bad the team even didn't allow non qualifyers to skate it could ease the problems in Japan singles.

Violet Bliss

Record Breaker
A skate off is supposed to compare the competitiveness of the skaters under pressure, or else it might as well just be a private test. The coming 4CC will hardly be a highly competitive event, being void of the world's best skaters who will be training for the Olympics instead of wearing themselves just prior. A skate off at the 4CC will thus serve to put the eventual Japanese Olympian under more stress pre Sochi, tiring him out physically and mentally and undercutting his chances of high performance at the Olympics. It will be a counter productive measure just to appease the Japan fed's indecision.

One way or another, it's the JSF's decision. I suspect they may discuss with Dai and his team to assess his probable physical and mental state by the time of the Olympics.

wallylutz

Medalist
People who are saying so and so is going to skip Worlds this year must have forgot Worlds will be in Japan this year, not only that, as a tribute to the tsunami that wiped out the Worlds that was supposed to take place in Japan 3 years ago.

It reminds me a stupid question I once asked Samuel Contesti in Vancouver : " So, Samuel, are you going to the Worlds next month?" He thought about it for 2 seconds and said : "It's going to take place at my home, so of course I will be there." :slink:

I don't see any of the Japanese men, retiring or otherwise, skipping this if given the opportunity.

malo42

On the Ice
- Machida skated his heart out. Like many have stated here, he isn't my favorite and he doesn't "touch" me like Daisuke or Takahiko do. Even Nobunari, who as mentioned by someone in an earlier post still has a little "junior vibe" going on, gets to my heartstrings much more. No doubt Machida was 2nd best here, and will get chosen to go to the Olympics. What I'm not really comfortable with is that he got higher Interpretation marks than Takahiko and Nobunari, since we all seem to agree on the fact he's not really charismatic.

Well "We all" certainly does not include me. I think he's a fantastic performer and a very charismatic skater. I couldn't believe it when someone here called his programs empty and skating around to jumps, I think most of his programs over the last few seasons have been excellent and now he's finally getting his jumps together too.

About anyone skipping worlds at first I too thought it was silly to think any of the Japanese skaters would consider skipping no matter how the Olympics goes but I read somewhere that Daisuke kind of indicated that he would not be going.

MMajik

Rinkside
My heart breaks for Dai. He is the best male skater in the world in terms of choreo and interp but he is hurt and cannot jump at the moment. What to do? Oda can jump but for me he still comes off as a junior.
Kozuka is also hurt but less so. I am not a fan of Machida's skating but he is on fire(bird). What to do what to do? BTW who was the kid in the kiss and cry who looked about twelve years old? I missed his skate due to buffering. He was in the final flight?
That's Uno Shoma, actually he is already 16, but he looks so small and cute. :D
He is a great performer, and I remembered watching him competing with Hanyu in a Junior's competition, Hanyu won and Uno finished 3rd.
I think he would be a great threat if he could land his 3A.

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
I think it's completely fair. Takahashi has proven that he is more capable of doing well internationally than Kozuka, and he would be deserving of the Olympic spot. One national competition should never be enough to pick something as important as an Olympic team.
You have a good point but life is life and nationals usuall is how someone makes a team or it is the main criteria.

EricRohmer

On the Ice
Is there the possibility that Hanyu-Machida-Dai(Kozuka) will be sent to Sochi and Hanyu-Oda-Kozuka(Dai) will be sent to Worlds? Although I know 10Olympics Japan ladies team = 10Worlds team.

burntBREAD

Medalist
Is there the possibility that Hanyu-Machida-Dai(Kozuka) will be sent to Sochi and Hanyu-Oda-Kozuka(Dai) will be sent to Worlds? Although I know 10Olympics Japan ladies team = 10Worlds team.

That was because Yukari Nakano retired (she was supposed to be 3rd spot for Worlds and Akiko Suzuki alternate).

CanadianSkaterGuy

Record Breaker

I don't think at this point in time that's a sure thing. And I agree that it should be multiple competitions to determine the Olympic team. TBH, it makes sense to rest up Hanyu and Machida at 4CC and send Kozuka/Oda/Takahashi to that event to determine the 3rd spot. Is there any reason the JSF won't do this (other than their pre-determined "criteria")?

EricRohmer

On the Ice
That was because Yukari Nakano retired (she was supposed to be 3rd spot for Worlds and Akiko Suzuki alternate).

oh, thanks for the reply.
I thought JSF was not merciful for underachiever who was about to retire(Yukari). :) So I was somewhat worring for Oda.

CanadianSkaterGuy

Record Breaker
A skate off is supposed to compare the competitiveness of the skaters under pressure, or else it might as well just be a private test. The coming 4CC will hardly be a highly competitive event, being void of the world's best skaters who will be training for the Olympics instead of wearing themselves just prior. A skate off at the 4CC will thus serve to put the eventual Japanese Olympian under more stress pre Sochi, tiring him out physically and mentally and undercutting his chances of high performance at the Olympics.

I think if it was Oda/Kozuka/Takahashi, the event would already have 3 of the World's best skaters. And each fighting for a Japanese team spot makes the event that much more exciting. Not to mention others like Yan (and Ten, if he skates well), and Reynolds could give more competition. Also, the 3 US men will be competing against each other too, and trying to put in a solid performance pre-Sochi to get the judges' favour.

Euros is going to probably be the "meh" event in comparison to 4CC, with Fernandez, Amodio, Brezina, and Kovtun/Plushenko as the only likely high scores (and given the season, maybe not even that for Fernandez/Amodio/Brezina).

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
I think if it was Oda/Kozuka/Takahashi, the event would already have 3 of the World's best skaters. And each fighting for a Japanese team spot makes the event that much more exciting. Not to mention others like Yan (and Ten, if he skates well), and Reynolds could give more competition. Also, the 3 US men will be competing against each other too, and trying to put in a solid performance pre-Sochi to get the judges' favour.

Euros is going to probably be the "meh" event in comparison to 4CC, with Fernandez, Amodio, Brezina, and Kovtun/Plushenko as the only likely high scores (and given the season, maybe not even that for Fernandez/Amodio/Brezina).

The U.S. Men at 4CC will not be going to the Olympics. It will likely be a consolation prize for those who do not get on the team. 4CC is two weeks after U.S. Nationals, there's no way they are going to send the Olympic team to Taipei. The same will likely apply to the Canadian contingent.

Butterscotch17

On the Ice
I think Machida is safe. Who could argue against him? That wouldn't make any sense. Funny, the three Olympians of 2010 are fighting for the Olympic spot in 2014. Or not so funny at all.....because it is the last chance for all three of them.

I hadn't thought about this - ironic is what it is. But more than that, absolutely heartbreaking. :cry: For all three of them. Who would've thought four years later it would come down to this?

Daisuke made me cry - his skate and then the interview had me in tears. I can't really say anything else; I'm sending Daisuke all of my love and support. No matter what, he is a skating legend. He has a special place in my heart forever and always.

Interested to see how this turns out. There's going to be drama, dissatisfaction, and heartbreak no matter what.

Butterscotch17

On the Ice
Olympic heartbreaks happen in so many different ways. I remember Kurt's so well.

For over a year I've had a feeling Dai would not be competing at the Sochi Olympics though I had no idea how that would play out. Right now I think he will graciously decline the chance if offered. He made a major decision to stay in the sport for another full 4 years after all the glorious achievements he already had but at this point he is far from Japan's best hope for an Olympic medal. By withdrawing himself for Olympic consideration or declining an offer, he would end his competitive career graciously and heroically, sad as it is. The heartbreak is inevitable right now but should not linger. Looking back, Dai and all skating fans will have nothing but admiration and affection for him. His greatest achievement from all the years, including the extra 4 years, is all the hearts he's won over. I hope he and his fans will realize that's a greater success than any Olympic medal, including the one he already has. And his future is very very bright. The love for him will continue.

This is beautiful. Thank you for this.

Blades of Passion

Skating is Art, if you let it be
Record Breaker
Country
France
The level of skating here was staggering. They were all GIVING it.

Takahashi deserves to be at the Olympics. His NHK victory this season shows what he can do and the Japanese selection criteria looks at World standing. He just really needs to replace that second Quad attempt with a 3Lutz+3Toe. I still think it's possible for him to win Olympics. Skating a perfect SP + a perfect LP with one Quad can get him the title if Patrick and Hanyu aren't their very best.