Page 4 of 21 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 ... LastLast

Thread: Japanese Nationals 2013-2014 - Men

Forever stuck on those steps Li'Kitsu's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by MaiKatze
    I don't know if Daisuke would have been able to be over 100? But even clean I kind of doubt it.
    There are no protocols so far I think, but if NMURA's states are right, I'm pretty sure he would have gotten 100+ if clean. A UR call on the 4T costs him about 3 points, with additional -GOE because of the 2ft that's about 5 points lost. Already at 87+. A clean quad would have gotten +GOE, with national inflatation probably a good 2 points. 89+. Fall on the 3A. -3 GOE + 1 points deduction. 93+. Again, a good +2 points for the +GOE for a 3A. 95+. If the 3T was URed, that's about 1.2 loss in BV. 96+. Again, he probably lost +GOE because of the UR, so maybe about 98+. It seems he lost his balance on the steps too, which probably cost him some +GOE. And with a clean skate, his PCS would have went up some points too. And so we're very well at over 100 points...

Custom Title
    Thanks Majik and Mura. Does Dai have a shot?

Quote Originally Posted by MaiKatze View Post
    I don't know if Daisuke would have been able to be over 100? But even clean I kind of doubt it. For me personally a score of 103 is too much. But you're free to think otherwise. Yuzuru wins and deserves it, that's all that matters.
    I kind of understand what you feel about "a score of 103", but remember, he marked 99.84 at GPF with little mistake, I mean last spin.
    He did much better than that today, with smiling from bigging to end. For me, he looks stronger than ever.
    I have been watching him like I am his mother, but now, he is leaving me.

Rinkside
    Quote Originally Posted by yelyoh View Post
    I think Dai will be locked for Sochi if he can make 3rd in the Nationals. And since he's got advantages on SB and world ranking, maybe a 4th will still be okay.
    So sad for Dai's injury! Really looking forward to seeing him in Sochi.

If the order stays like that - 1. Hanyu, 2. Machida, 3. Kozuka, 4. Takahashi - I'm pretty sure the JSF would leave Kozuka home in favor for Takahashi.

There really isn't any end to this that doesn't make me want to curl up in bed and cry for at least a day

One does not simply skate into Sochi MaiKatze's Avatar
    @Li'Kitsu
    You're right. But then I think it is a hard stretch to think that Daisuke will go totally clean with +GOE on all his jumps. But this is his problem. Yuzuru seems to be the man to beat - his jumps are sure and confident and Daisuke was never that good of a jumper to begin with. What will the JSF do if Oda also beats Daisuke and he is only 5th? Oh god. This is horror. For me they all deserve to go but it would be unfair if Daisuke would get chosen when others simply are better.

Quote Originally Posted by lady_bee View Post
    I kind of understand what you feel about "a score of 103", but remember, he marked 99.84 at GPF with little mistake, I mean last spin.
    He did much better than that today, with smiling from bigging to end. For me, he looks stronger than ever.
    I have been watching him like I am his mother, but now, he is leaving me.
    Yes, it is a psychological thing, I guess. I mean, it's been not that long that a score over 90 would get people totally amazed. The last Olympics being another example. Now 100 is the new 90 and it just looks like such a huge number.

It's a hard stretch, yes, but I hope he can... he's still injured and I think he did really well regarding that. He was pretty clean at NHK, and if he has the time and recovers completly before Sochi... it's possible. Dai would really deserve to have an amazing last event (or two amazing last if he goes to worlds, but I kind of doubt it).
    He scored 95.55 or something at NHK too with lost levels on his spins, so I think he could still keep up with Yuzu and Pat in the SP in Sochi

http://www.youtube.com/user/icechannel2011/videos here you can find the top performances
    Protocols?

Rinkside

Japanese Nationals 2013-2014 - Men

No protocols yet probably before the end of the whole competition. But here's are some highlights (from @sn_figure in twitter):

- Hanyu: 4T+2.80, 3A+3.00(!), 3Lz+3T+0.98, all level 4s for spins and step.
    - Machida: 4T+3T+1.40, 3A+2.20, 3Lz+1.54, level 4 for FSSp & step, level 3 for CCSp & CCoSp
    - Kozuka: 4T-1.00, 3A+2.00, 3Lz+3T-1.12, level 4 for CCoSp & step, level 3 for 2 remaining steps
    - Takahashi: 4T<, 3Lz+3T<+0.28, level 4 for spins and step except CCoSp (level 1), and +2.10 for step
    - Oda: 3T-0.42, 3A+2.20, 3Lz+2T+1.26, level 3 for CCSp & FSSp, level 2 for CCoSp & step
    - Uno (not aired): 3F+3T+0.98, 2A+1.10, 3Lo+1.26, level 4 for spins and level 3 for step
    Last edited by dorispulaski; 12-21-2013 at 10:05 AM.

Custom Title
    Pretty high level competition. Really nice performance by Machida, his is probably my favorite men's SP of the season. Hanyu's score was of course inflated, just like every skater's score in every national ever, but I think that it still deserved to be over 100 points. I think that it was better than his WR skate at GPF. Kozuka I feel was a bit overscored, Machida on the other hand deserved his score. Takahashi overscored as well, in my opinion he should have been below 80. Oda's performance was pretty meh. I sort of dislike this program in the first place and he performed it rather poorly.

Hopefully in the LP Hanyu shows us a clean program and I also hope that Machida can finally get a clean Firebird, the program's very interesting in my opinion. Those should be top 2, I feel. The third place will probably determine who goes to the olympics, it will be exciting to watch. Machida and Hanyu should be locks at this point.

Machida's PCS was really too low, it should have been at least as high as takahashi's, considering the difference in how the programs were skated!!

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by FSGMT View Post
    http://www.youtube.com/user/icechannel2011/videos here you can find the top performances
    Protocols?
    So pleased that somebody uploaded video of Akio Sasaki - that guy is such an entertainer, like a Japanese Misha Ge.

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by YesWay View Post
    Hanyu OMG O_O Shame that Nationals don't count for the record books - first over 100 points, gets to keep that record forever...
    Plushenko and Chan have both scored over 100 before.

But WOW, what a performance by Hanyu and Machida!!!

Custom Title
    Some interesting stats:

Quads attempted in SP for 2009-2010 Japanese nationals: 0

Quads attempts in SP for 2013-2014 Japanese nationals: 4 (3 successful landed and rotated)

Total quads attempts in 2009-2010 nationals across both programs: 4 (all underrotated with 1 fall and one popped attempt that was popped into a single)

I'm actually more surprised by the progress that has been made in achieving level 4s on technical elements.

Quote Originally Posted by yelyoh View Post
    It's possible he could rally again for the FS and make the podium as he did last year. I think the gold is likely out of his reach barring his competitors having a complete down. However, the gap is significantly larger when compared to last year. He's fourth with eight points to make up against Kozuka. If he's relatively clean, then a little help from the judges should help him mount the podium against strong skates from Kozuka/Machida.

Daisuke probably should make the team based off how the JSF interprets the criteria for their selection. He has the world ranking and the NHK performance to his favor. Nonetheless, it could attract scandal if he makes the Olympic team with a very flawed performance.

Custom Title
    Dai needs a very solid FS. A mistake in every jumping pass isn't going to help JSF's confidence in him. A bit ridiculous that his PCS were 46.40 with a fall and two URs.

I am also of the thought that Machida's PCS should have been higher - I love his SP and expression... I actually got chills near the end of it.

Page 4 of 21 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 ... LastLast