Page 5 of 21 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 ... LastLast

Thread: Japanese Nationals 2013-2014 - Men

Banned
    comfortable lead by Yuzu
    too bad about Takahashi's injury but even if he places 4th again tommorow there is no way he is not going to the Olympics

Kozuka or Oda will be the sacrificial lambs

Custom Title
    Soooo happy for Machida Hope he skates clean tomorrow too. To think that noone thought of him as a serious contender until this season. Gosh.

I'm gonna Customize the CRAP out of this Title!!! Frenchie's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Srin Odessa View Post
    Daisuke probably should make the team based off how the JSF interprets the criteria for their selection. He has the world ranking and the NHK performance to his favor. Nonetheless, it could attract scandal if he makes the Olympic team with a very flawed performance.
    It would get interesting if Kozuka beats Machida (they're only 2,5pts apart) and Takahashi stays 4th (or even gets overtaken by Oda). Then, with
    1-Hanyu; 2-Kozuka; 3-Machida; 4-(or even 5-)Takahashi, would the JSF take Takahashi over Machida? Machida had some great showings in the season...

I think Kozuka knows that if he wants to make the Olympic Team, he has to finish 2nd. 3rd won't be enough.

Custom Title
    What happens if both Oda and Kozuka beat Takahashi? Oda has had some good freeskates and Kozuka is comfortably 3rd.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by CanadianSkaterGuy View Post
    What happens if both Oda and Kozuka beat Takahashi? Oda has had some good freeskates and Kozuka is comfortably 3rd.
    then Takahashi will still go to the Olympics I think

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by CanadianSkaterGuy View Post
    My guess is JSF would still send Takahashi. Oda/Kozuka/Machida aren't very likely to get a medal at the Games so switching one of them with Takahashi won't change Japan's chances much. But with Takahashi being so popular and the defending OBM, I would think having him on the Olympic team would be good for publicity and general morale. Although they would have a hard time justifying it if the point gap between Takahashi and Oda/Kozuka is huge.

umm... a little off-topic, but concerning Kozuka: Was his sweat outburst (blue shirt, CoChina LP, he was already soaked before the LP) from this season ever addressed?
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lQHvioDIJRQ
    Seems like more and more japanese skaters have a towel in the kiss and cry, regular tissues don't seem to do it anymore!

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by Frenchie View Post
    It would get interesting if Kozuka beats Machida (they're only 2,5pts apart) and Takahashi stays 4th (or even gets overtaken by Oda). Then, with
    1-Hanyu; 2-Kozuka; 3-Machida; 4-(or even 5-)Takahashi, would the JSF take Takahashi over Machida? Machida had some great showings in the season...

I think Kozuka knows that if he wants to make the Olympic Team, he has to finish 2nd. 3rd won't be enough.
    Kozuka would have have have a better argument than Machida about making the Olympic team. It would be easy for the JSF to argue that they want a two time Olympic veteran like Daisuke over someone who performed well throughout the season but never skated on Olympic ice or even at Worlds. Historically, skaters usually don't perform well at their first time and even phenoms are lucky to make the podium. Daisuke could be good anchor if the younger skaters buckle under pressure.

I just hope we don't have a repeat of last season where the Japanese men imploded after nationals. It seems that the Japanese men had difficulty preparing intricate, multi-quad programs after for late internationals events. It would be crazy if the people who get left of the team skate well at senior Bs or Worlds. Similar to Oda's performance at Bavarian Open, I think heads will roll if the Olympic team under performs but the people who got left off skated well at other events.

Medalist
    Wasn't that Angela Nikodinov who was with Murakami at Kiss and Cry?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BDio6vgID3w

I did not know she was coaching him as a member of Frank Carroll's team.
    I am glad that this year's Japanese Nationals finishes on 23rd,
    so all the foreign coaches can fly back home just before Christmas.

On the Ice
    I hope the JSF posts protocols soon.. machida's good when he's on but he seemed to lose control a bit at the GPF i wonder if the JSF trusts him to handle the pressure of the olympics. But even when Machida lands all his jumps, I don't get the 'wow' factor coming from him like I do from Dai or Yuzuru. Maybe it's just my flutz OCD getting to me..
    Felt so bad for Dai after the short program.. so unlucky to have to skate right after Yuzuru :(
    and http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QcpAxdPsJ4Q Taka at 4:58 on the triple lutz combo .. so much grit and fight in this performance :')

yes, I was surprised when I saw her and thought it was Nikodinov, so I checked it out on wikipedia, she's listed as one of his coaches.

Custom Title
    No matter what the final result, they have to send Daisuke to Sochi. Otherwise the entire skating world will be disappointed.
    It's not necessarily fair, but it's true.

Quote Originally Posted by SimplyLex View Post
    No matter what the final result, they have to send Daisuke to Sochi. Otherwise the entire skating world will be disappointed.
    It's not necessarily fair, but it's true.
    I'm sure they really want to send him.
    IF things don't end up the way they want, maybe they'll delay naming the Olympic Team... and say they'll let a few skaters compete again at a later date, citing Takahashi's injury as a reason.

Yusuru is just awesome. Could be I'm a bit bored to watch this SP, having seen it many times, but I think it was smart of him to keep it. He makes it look so easy and smooth. And the major part of the olympic audience has never seen it before

Love Machida's SP too, though I still want Oda in Sochi.

Custom Title
    How low would Takahashi have to place to be left off the team? 6th? 10th? Like, is him competing here just a formality?

Page 5 of 21 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 ... LastLast