The Tessa & Scott Show (W Network) | Golden Skate

The Tessa & Scott Show (W Network)

anyanka

Record Breaker
Unsure if someone's already posted this in another thread so I'm starting it here (please migrate this as needed).

Their documentary series for the W Network in Canada starts on January 2, 2014.

Here's the preview: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P5uo-CiQSn0&feature=youtu.be

Marlie will be there too, of course. I'm sure we can look forward to seeing Zueva (will Igor still be around then?). The series time frame starts from the 2013 worlds and includes their GP stops in Canada and France.

The show is a limited series of six half-hour episodes airing in Jan / Feb 2014.

No word yet on whether it will be geo-blocked.

More information here at the network: http://www.wnetwork.com/shows/tessa-scott, and in a news release: http://www.newswire.ca/en/story/124...following-canada-s-figure-skating-sweethearts

:popcorn:

Tinymavy15

Sinnerman for the win
Record Breaker
"We've always been civil..." Ouch. This is a big difference from the buddy buddies they always made it out to be in the past. I wonder if this rivalry hype is just an act to cause more excitement for the event.

I do find it a stretch that they are close friends but I feel as though there's a shared respect and comradeship between them sometimes. Didn't Tessa and Scott stay in the kiss and cry to cheer ok Meryl and Charlie at the 2009 worlds?

TontoK

Hot Tonto
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I'm sure that there must be some camaraderie that comes with being training mates. I don't recall the kiss and cry moment you're referring to, but I do recall specifically that Tessa and Scott were waiting on their marks at the Moscow WC, and being thrilled to see that the Shibs were in first place (for the moment) because that meant the Shibs were assured a medal.

I thought it was a very telling and uplifting moment.

Matt K

On the Ice
Who cares about D/W? This show is about V/M who supposedly will be giving the audience a glimpse of their prep before Sochi. I hope to see their training and prep with their teachers and choreographers. I could do without D/W being mentioned at all, but I guess reality shows love to stir up drama...

aftertherain

Record Breaker
"We've always been civil..." Ouch. This is a big difference from the buddy buddies they always made it out to be in the past. I wonder if this rivalry hype is just an act to cause more excitement for the event.

I doubt it. I think they're more honest now than they have been in the past about the rivalry. Either that or their friendships have now dissolved into solely respect and civility. Makes sense since their rivalry is at an all-time high.

Who cares about D/W?

Me.

You can't talk about their careers without at least mentioning their rivals--their rivals play a crucial part in their careers for sure. That's the case with all elite athletes.

wootie

Match Penalty
For some reason, I don't find them particularly sexy or fun to watch. They seem kind of corny...Scott with his terribly forced tough guy persona (um, you're an ice dancer, honey) and Tessa with her, I don't know, vacuous pretty face. I'm sure they're nice enough or whatever but something about them comes off as kind of ridiculous. At least they're a bit more interesting than Meryl and Charlie.

ice coverage

Record Breaker
... I feel as though there's a shared respect and comradeship between them sometimes. Didn't Tessa and Scott stay in the kiss and cry to cheer ok Meryl and Charlie at the 2009 worlds?

I'm sure that there must be some camaraderie that comes with being training mates. I don't recall the kiss and cry moment you're referring to, but I do recall specifically that Tessa and Scott were waiting on their marks at the Moscow WC, and being thrilled to see that the Shibs were in first place (for the moment) because that meant the Shibs were assured a medal.

I thought it was a very telling and uplifting moment.

I can never get enough of my very favorite uplifting and spontaneous moment shared among Virtue/Moir and Davis/White, which took place right after the FD in Vancouver:
Although the entire short video is worth watching, an epic example of the foursome's transcendent camaraderie starts at approx. 1:45. :) A joyful V/M are giving an interview, and Scott speaks of D/W with deep admiration. And then soon after, ... ;)

Spoiler alerts:
The following description is a tweaked version of what I wrote for a previous GS thread long ago:
I hope that you have seen the wonderful video of D/W seizing their first opportunity to congratulate Virtue/Moir at the Vancouver Olympics. Before the medal ceremony, V/M were in the middle of a TV interview when D/W apparently needed to walk by (on their way to some kind of holding area, I think). At first, D/W must have paused out of camera range, but Moir spotted them out of the corner of his eye -- and as he continued to answer a question, he reached toward Davis, who happily slipped under his beckoning arm for a long and warm bear hug. White came up behind Virtue to surprise her with one, as he laughed, "We couldn't wait -- I'm sorry!" [meaning D/W could not wait to celebrate with V/M]. Then the two guys hugged each other tightly, as their partners did the same. A lovely class act of mutual affection and respect by all four together. V/M clearly were highly appreciative of D/W's elation for them -- all the more, I believe, because V/M felt true compassion that their friends had come so close themselves to winning. I think Tessa and Scott in turn were very excited for D/W that the Americans had skated so well and earned the silver, and Moir esp. had a hard time letting go of Davis, as if he partly wanted to silently comfort her that the gold had been just barely out of D/W's grasp.​
It so happens that Davis reminisced about this special memory in a new NBC interview published this week (Dec 16, 2013):
NBCOlympics: After the free dance, did you see each other backstage? How would that all go?
Davis: I remember I was able to kind of hold in my emotions talking to everyone backstage. And for some reason it wasn't until I saw Scott and Tessa and it was kind of the four of us – they were being interviewed by a French-Canadian channel specifically, I remember – and Charlie and I walked over to congratulate them and I just lost it. Just because I think at that point in time in particular we understood each other so well and what we had been through. I think we weren't only proud of ourselves but I think we were really proud of them and what the four of us had been able to accomplish kind of in our own right. So I think that being able to share that experience with someone and another team really kind of brought out that emotion in me.
http://www.nbcolympics.com/news/davis-and-white-16-years-and-counting

As an aside, another spontaneous Vancouver moment that I found very touching:
At the ice dance medal ceremony, the gold medalists were the last to be introduced. After Davis/White were on the ice to take their bows, the NBC director took a very wide camera shot. If you know where to look, you can pick out V/M rinkside ready for their turn to head toward the podium -- and Scott is cheering for D/W, even putting his pinky fingers to his mouth to give a big whistle. Scott would not have been aware that he was on camera (again, it was not a close-up), so his demonstrable support for D/W was undoubtedly sincere. :yes:​

(BTW, I don't think that Tessa's bond with D/W is any less pronounced than Scott's ... IMHO, it's just that Scott tends to absolutely burst with exuberance, whereas Tessa's enthusiasm sometimes is not quite as bold.)

TontoK:
I too fondly remember the sudden look of delight on Scott's face when he noticed that the Shibutanis were guaranteed a medal at 2011 Worlds -- and the endearing way that he instinctively grabbed Tessa's arm to get her attention. I agree that Scott's reaction was a very telling indicator of his collegial feelings for his training mates. (Reminds me also that Alex once said that back when the Shibs were feeling intimidated as the "new kids" in Canton, Scott was the first to reach out and assure them that they belonged there as much as those with more seniority.)

I am hopeful that Team Canton remains a friendly group. This month, at the time of the GPF 2013, @AlexShibutani sent a #throwback shout-out to both Scott and Charlie:

Regarding the upcoming series, @TessaScottOnW is sending official tweets to promote it, incl. links to preview videos, such as those posted by Matt K. Perhaps more previews will be coming. :)

aftertherain

Record Breaker
For some reason, I don't find them particularly sexy or fun to watch. They seem kind of corny...Scott with his terribly forced tough guy persona (um, you're an ice dancer, honey) and Tessa with her, I don't know, vacuous pretty face. I'm sure they're nice enough or whatever but something about them comes off as kind of ridiculous. At least they're a bit more interesting than Meryl and Charlie.

Personally, the teenage girl that's still in my brain somewhere is hoping that this show will be a romantic comedy masquerading as a documentary. ;)

What can I say--their chemistry is undeniable on ice. :)