John Zimmerman On Queer Eye | Page 2 | Golden Skate

John Zimmerman On Queer Eye

Lotta

On the Ice
'He's an Olympic Champion....'!!!!

Good grief!!!! :laugh: I swear, people who introduce celebrities have GOT TO GET THEIR FACTS STRAIGHT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Do some RESEARCH!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Well, Flora Mac, I've dated every straight hot male figure skater since I first had a torrid affair with Christopher Dean after the '84 Olympics. It started out with me just sitting in the stands and the guys catching sight of me among the 15 or 20,000 others, saying to themselves, "I MUST have that woman!" and then one of the ushers bringing me a note. After the first few, you know how it is, word just gets around:p John Z. was the nicest, Ilia Kulik was the most intelligent, Kurt Browning was the funniest, Anton Sikharulidze was the most passionate, Scott Hamilton just wanted to do golf dates (yawn), Victor Kraatz was the most creative, Sasha Abt (before he was married) was the most smoldering, Alexei Yagudin kept wanting to know if he was better than Evgeni Plushenko and vice versa (borrring), and Elvis was too New Agey for my taste. Yeah, I know, like Pamela Des Barres, I should write a book:laugh:

Just joking, of course--or will you ever know;)?

Seriously, I did have John Zimmerman all to myself for about 20 minutes at an SOI reception in '99. This was during the first year John and Kyoko were together as a team and while fans were mobbing all the other skaters there--both SOI and non-SOI, apparently nobody recognized John. He was all by his lonesome, perusing the buffet table, so I went up to him and said, "You're John Zimmerman, yes?" He seemed so pleased that somebody approached him and so charmingly unsure of what to say, other than, "Uh, yeah!"

At first it was just the usual, "I really love your skating," "I'm very pleased to meet you," chit chat. Then I told him Tamara Moskvina was my "hero" and asked him what it was like to work with her. Then he really lit up and spoke with great respect and enthusiasm about Moskvina. He was truly a nice guy and even more gorgeous in person than on TV. You see a lot of really gorgeous guys in NY--actors, models--and John is still one of the most stunning men I've ever seen.

We talked for a good 20 minutes and nobody else ever came up to him--and believe me, if you're talking to a skater, other people will bomb right in. I probably could have had him all to myself for the whole reception, but I was with somebody who wasn't a skating fan so I thanked him, told him I could talk to him all night about skating and Moskvina but my friend was waiting, and wished him the best in getting to the Olympics. About 10 minutes later as my friend and I were leaving, I did one last scan around the room and John was still by himself! In retrospect, I should have told my friend, "I have a once in a lifetime opportunity. Here's $20 bucks. Get lost," and gone back to talk to JZ, lol.

Because of volunteer work I did for the Make-a-Wish foundation, I used to get to go to the SOI receptions in NYC for about five years. Then a new company took over the receptions. So you get to see or talk to a lot of skaters. Especially in NY, and I'm sure LA too, a lot of nonSOI skaters show up. John Zimmerman was definitely one of the nicest skaters to talk to. I think he really is a "loves the simple life, down-home guy." Of the other skaters I talked to over those years, Paul Wylie and Yuka Sato rate the highest in terms of either really engaging you (Paul) or being very down to earth and funny (Yuka). Ilia Kulik and Peter Tchernyshev were the best at graciously handling mobs of little girls who wanted to have their picture taken with them. Tara Lipinski was the best at signing autographs and smiling for a gazillion cameras at the same time. An assistant would just keep shuffling autograph books or programs into her hands, Tara would scribble her name (they all scribble) while she kept smiling and looking at the cameras, lol. Maya Usova and Oksana Baiul have the softest hands and I don't mean just the skin. Their hands feel like little birds.
Rgirl

Wow, Rgirl. Thanks for the post. You make me feel like I was there...just you, me and John.

MM

HEY! This is a PG-rated board! You're a mod, you know that! Don't get me started on the kinky stuff.:p
Rgirl

You guys have to check out Jordan Braurniger who just won a bronze medal for the US in Junior Worlds. Good looking, good body, good skater, and 18 y.o. A bit young for now but hey, if Demi can do it so can RGirl.

I hope they show the Jr Worlds. Got to see this guy. I've already paired him up with Sasha Cohen. What a team they would make.

Joe

Mathman said:
Wow, Rgirl. Thanks for the post. You make me feel like I was there...just you, me and John.
MM
So how'd you like it when JZ was blowing up my skirt? Did it feel as good going up pants?

Joesitz said:
You guys have to check out Jordan Braurniger who just won a bronze medal for the US in Junior Worlds. Good looking, good body, good skater, and 18 y.o. A bit young for now but hey, if Demi can do it so can RGirl.
Joe
How do you know I already haven't ravaged young but legal Jordan and other skating hotties? And how do you know I wasn't doing same with all kinds of cuties when Demi Moore was cutting her teeth on Tony Geary on "General Hospital"?:laugh:
Rgirl

peachstatesk8er

On the Ice
Joesitz said:
Living in NYC and quite familiar with the Gay scene, I do not believer that John needs any help from the Fab Five.

Well believe it. The first thing a friend said when they found out he was going to be on was, "Hopefully the fab 5 will tell him not to wear navy pants,his black Nascar
t-shirt, and brown docksiders together anymore!" ;) He's not known for killer fashion sense, let's just leave it at that.

JoeSitz, Jordan is MINE. :love:

Last edited:
Hey Peach - I'm not a Fab 5 fan. Their show is best in the first 5 and last 5 minutes. the in-between is silly. Anyway, I can't believe John who models for Abercrombie and Fitch, wouldn't have access to a decent wardrobe. OK, i'm sure the fans of GS will be watching Tuesday. I'm hoping he gets in the kitchen, makes a great dinner, sets the dining room table, lights the candles, and waits for Sylvia to arrive. What will she say?

RGirl - You have competition with Peach on this newly legal boy.

Joe

hockeyfan228

Record Breaker
According to the Queer Eye for the Straight Guy website, this is the scoop on Zimmerman:

PROBLEM AREAS
...is concerned that his Alabama ways are out of step with her European sensibilities.
...while trying to mesh his wife's love of bright colors with his fondness for earth tones, ended up with a home decor that delivers the worst of both.
...the couple spends so much time on tour and in training that they still haven't unpacked their wedding presents.
...adores his wife and tells her so, but is searching for ways he can demonstrate it, too.
...generally wears the same things — sweats and track suits — whether he's working out at the rink or taking Sylvia out to a nice restaurant.
...wants to prepare a special meal, but lacks confidence in the kitchen.
...his feet are in pretty bad shape from years on the ice; he has a bad case of what his wife calls "country toes."

http://www.bravotv.com/Queer_Eye_for_the_Straight_Guy/Episodes/121/

They even managed to get a really bad photo for the website.

I'm a sucker for watching the haircuts, which is my favorite part of the show.

Joesitz said:
I'm not a Fab 5 fan. Their show is best in the first 5 and last 5 minutes. the in-between is silly. Anyway, I can't believe John who models for Abercrombie and Fitch, wouldn't have access to a decent wardrobe.

Joe
Not a QE fan? Gee, Joe, we'd never know:laugh: As for everything between the first and last five minutes being silly, it's supposed to be. People are supposed to laugh at how ridiculous doing all this stuff is, but getting most guys to redo things most people consider feminine--clothes, cooking, personal grooming--is ridiculous. I just like the guys doing it, the Fab Five. I find them funny and their personalities compliment each other. Besides, to have a hit show starring five very out gay men, in primetime, this is major cultural forward motion, something I thought I'd never see in my lifetime. I just wish they wouldn't limit the people they help to staight men. The Fab Five's sensibility appeal to me a helluva lot more than that guy on the Discovery channel and I was NEVER a Martha Stewart kind of gal.

As for the modeling, like I said, most of the time somebody else dresses this guy--usually Jef Billings. Besides it's not like Abercombie and Fitch or any company John models for is going to give their models the clothes to take home. Are you sure you live in NY?:p Anyway, exposure to fashion doesn't mean you know what to do with it.

I hear we get to see John's gross feet. Cool.

As for Peachsk8er, Jordan, and me, I'm sure we can work out a mutually agreeable arrangement. Jordan may be young, buy he may appreciate the benefits of sharing:)
Rgirl

rgirl - It's one of those tv shows I can miss easily. Of course, with John as the subject I'll sit through the whole thing. Got to see those worn out toes. And ITA, it is a cultural forward step.

Thanks for the link Hockeyfan. It did get me interested in watching the show.

TUESDAY IS 'Z' DAY'!!

What will Sylvia say when she arrives at the home?

My guess: John, you took a hair cut.:laugh:

Joe

N

nthuz

scribbles

Rgirl,

I only have one skater's autograph and she didn't scribble.

peachstatesk8er

On the Ice
Joesitz said:
Hey Peach - I'm not a Fab 5 fan. Their show is best in the first 5 and last 5 minutes. the in-between is silly. Anyway, I can't believe John who models for Abercrombie and Fitch, wouldn't have access to a decent wardrobe. OK, i'm sure the fans of GS will be watching Tuesday. I'm hoping he gets in the kitchen, makes a great dinner, sets the dining room table, lights the candles, and waits for Sylvia to arrive. What will she say?

Joe

Joe, I don't remember John modeling for A&F, just Barney's. I'll ask him the next time we talk.

Having the means and the money to be fashionable and actually *being* fashionable are very different. ;) John has the means, but not the know-how. He's a great guy, but no fashion icon.

Rgirl, no thanks, I failed sharing in kindergarten. I think Jordan will prefer my limberness and hot tub, so bring it on!! :laugh:

Peach - Check on A&F v. Barneys. Maybe both. As to John's fashion sense, I will concede he is not trendy if that's what you and rgirl mean. I'm sure he'll wear a black tie suit to the right function and feel quite comfortable with the rest of the men at that function in the same type of suit. Men, as know, when they arrive at a social function, check out other men to be sure all of them are wearing similar outfits. Women, of course, want to be the only one with the only dress at the function. C'est la difference!:rolleye:

When one describes Audrey Hepburn and fashion one can understand why so many have agreed that the designer could just as well drape a bolt of material over her and that would be enough to make her beautifully dressed. She was special.:love:

In John's case, imo, he'll look good in old worn out pair of jeans and ripped t-shirt a la Marlon Brando as well as a plaid riding jacket , crop and boler.

But what is Sylvia going to say after the Fab 5 check out their refurbished (IKEA) home, and John's gourment feast for her?

My guess: OH, John, you fussed over the grits.:laugh:

Joe

My take on Queer Eye. Fellas, there are some things that straight guys just won't do. They might want to dress better, get a better haircut and learn to cook. But you will never, never get them to use any of those skin care products. Or clean the bathroom. :laugh:

Mathman

NansXOXOX

Final Flight
Joesitz said:

I hope they show the Jr Worlds. Got to see this guy. I've already paired him up with Sasha Cohen. What a team they would make.

Joe

Is the date on the ISU site wrong? It lists Jordan's birthday as 1/19/87. I know math is not my strong suit, but doesn't that make him just 17?

Here is the site:

http://www.isufs.org/bios/isufs00006286.htm

Nan

peachstatesk8er

On the Ice
Nan, I think you're right, it seems he was 16 during Nats (I'll have to dig up my program) which would make him 17 now. Oh well, so I'll wait a year. ;)

hockeyfan228

Record Breaker
Oh, no, I hope not IKEA. I've never seen them go to the same furniture store twice, and they did IKEA with the musical comedy writer. I hope they bring him to a "klessy" furniture store, so that I can shop vicariously through them.

bronxgirl

Medalist
Just saw the episode. It was quite funny. Carson could not keep his hands off of John. I think the Fab Five were very pleasantly surprised at the raw material they had to work with (no pun intenteded at any level! 0:love: :love: