Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: Akiko Suzuki- undermarked, especialy in PCS

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by Sai Bon View Post
    Bear with me people, it's my first post! I'm a Japanese speaker. I didn't hear anything on the YouTube clip about Michelle Kwan. But I didn't watch the whole programme, living outside Japan (sob).

I've always loved Akiko Suzuki, as a person and a figure skater. It's no coincidence there are similarities between Akiko and Daisuke. They are good friends and Daisuke was inspired by her artistic expression.

I'm not a technical skating fan (never skated and can't do maths!). I can kinda see why she is undermarked relative to Mao, YuNa, Julia L, etc., but isn't it phenomenal that at the grand old age (for a competitive skater) of 28 she just keeps improving? What an inspiration to everyone, not just figure skaters.

Akiko once said that she doesn't regret having experienced an eating disorder, that it made her who she is today and it gave her time off skating, which may have contributed to her longevity as an athlete.

I hope she has the skate of her life at Sochi. She truly deserves it.
    Welcome, Sai Bon!

I agree with you about Akiko. I just watched her free skate at Nationals, and I was completely overcome. She was magnificent, both technically and in terms of expression. I hope and pray that she not only has the skate of her life at Sochi but that she makes it onto the podium. More specific than that I can't get because there are other skaters I am also rooting for. In a way, this is the ideal situation: to have so many great skaters to enjoy that one can't envision an ideal podium. There are too many skaters and not enough spots! But Akiko is one of a kind, stupendous, and I'd love for her to leave Sochi with a medal.

By the way, thanks for the information about her friendship with Daisuke. Yes, I do think of them both as similar skaters, really flowing on the ice and able to bring out the best in the music and also in each move and position. Akiko and Dai both seem to give meaning to every moment on the ice.

Boycott the ISU
    Well after seeing Julia's inflated scores this weekend, I think this is a really good time to bump this thread and remind everyone about Akiko. Her FS is the program of the season for me. I will be pulling for her to make the podium, and hopefully grab silver behind Yuna and ahead of Adelina or Julia. What a moving skater Suzuki-san is, it seems like this really could be her time to shine.

Quote Originally Posted by Ven View Post
    Well after seeing Julia's inflated scores this weekend, I think this is a really good time to bump this thread and remind everyone about Akiko. Her FS is the program of the season for me. I will be pulling for her to make the podium, and hopefully grab silver behind Yuna and ahead of Adelina or Julia. What a moving skater Suzuki-san is, it seems like this really could be her time to shine.
    I agree. I would love to see Akiko on the podium, I wish her good luck and I'll be rooting for her! BEST OF LUCK AKIKO!!!!

Custom Title
    Quote Originally Posted by Ven View Post
    Me too. Akiko just grabs me. My greatest wish for her is to skate her best program ever, so that however she's judged, she and her audience will know that she did something unique and memorable.

Mashimaro on Ice
    Since the Russian girls are now capable of getting PCS not far from the big three, which Akiko has never been able to get internationally, it's safe to say that if they do well, they will place ahead of her in Sochi. The younger skaters have the edge in difficulty, and now it seems on the second mark as well. :(

Boycott the ISU
    It's ridiculous the PCS they are getting, especially Julia.

Suzuki better than Adelina and waaaaay better than Julia imo.

Quote Originally Posted by Olympia View Post
    Welcome, Sai Bon!

I agree with you about Akiko. I just watched her free skate at Nationals, and I was completely overcome. She was magnificent, both technically and in terms of expression. I hope and pray that she not only has the skate of her life at Sochi but that she makes it onto the podium. More specific than that I can't get because there are other skaters I am also rooting for. In a way, this is the ideal situation: to have so many great skaters to enjoy that one can't envision an ideal podium. There are too many skaters and not enough spots! But Akiko is one of a kind, stupendous, and I'd love for her to leave Sochi with a medal.

By the way, thanks for the information about her friendship with Daisuke. Yes, I do think of them both as similar skaters, really flowing on the ice and able to bring out the best in the music and also in each move and position. Akiko and Dai both seem to give meaning to every moment on the ice.
    totally agree with Olympia. I think Akiko on the podium will make many fans, and not just in Japan, very happy. She is the most underrated skater of her generation. I know many of us have our fingers crossed for this girl. Reall, thee Olympics should have a pewter medal. With so many entrants, maybe even 5. 5 for the number of the continents in the Olympics. even with 5, I am sure I would want 6. If Akiko is in the final flight, I will be happy. She has been nothing but a joy for me to watch since I "discovered" her after the last Olympics. If she does not medal, it will not lessen my admiration one iota.

Boycott the ISU
    Quote Originally Posted by skateluvr View Post
    I think Akiko on the podium will make many fans, and not just in Japan, very happy. She is the most underrated skater of her generation. I know many of us have our fingers crossed for this girl.

Skateluvr, for once you and I agree on something.

Cheers

I'm so happy to hear you say such nice things about a skater not named YuNa! LOL Cheers to you as well.

Custom Title
    It would be the major highlight of watching figure skating since 1992 to see Akiko win a medal in Sochi.
    This girl just makes me happy !.
    I love everything she does.
    We need to send her positive thoughts when Sochi comes around.
    If anyone deserves two great skates at an Olympics it's this girl.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3