Akiko Suzuki- undermarked, especialy in PCS | Page 2 | Golden Skate

Akiko Suzuki- undermarked, especialy in PCS

christinaskater

Medalist
A lot of the top skaters are over marked. I believe once they have the local and international clout and credibility, the more that they get bonus points. It's been the way that the sport has worked through the years.

You struggle first (have a lot of those nothing is happening years), then focus and really take it to the next level and they become great Champions!

We have Champions like Shizuka Arakawa - who wasn't initially blessed artistically or in some aspects of her skating, but she worked so hard and did all those spins and focused on her artistry and she has become an unstoppable force. She is a goddess on the ice!

pointyourtoe

On the Ice
I just saw her performances from Japanese nationals and almost cried
SO SO SO GOOD.

I just looked at the link above and now my happiness is kinda ruined :unsure: *** there's basically half as many dislikes as there are likes on the video...and most of the comments are cruel hate comments...Since when was Akiko such a polarizing figure? So much vitriol and hatred

vegarin

On the Ice
Aw, that was such a lovely performance. She looks so happy. I especially liked it when she was showing her joy and lightness. I loved her ever since the last Olympics - she didn't medal, but her steps and moves showed so much joy and made such a lovely impression overall. This reminded me of that and how much I enjoy her skating. <3

christinaskater

Medalist
I just saw her performances from Japanese nationals and almost cried
SO SO SO GOOD.

I just looked at the link above and now my happiness is kinda ruined :unsure: *** there's basically half as many dislikes as there are likes on the video...and most of the comments are cruel hate comments...Since when was Akiko such a polarizing figure? So much vitriol and hatred

It's a lot of the threatened diehard fans from the top 2 contenders in the Olympics. I love these 2 but the fans just turn me off.

amc987

On the Ice
Do you guys think Akiko's PCS might be higher at the Olympics and Worlds because she's now the Japanese National Champ? I don't see Mao's PCS going down as a result of her 3rd place finish...

MaiKatze

Record Breaker
I think the PCS should be higher. Not because of her status as National Champion, but because she is getting better and better. Which I find absolutely amazing. You expect the girls to get better, but Akiko at her age is just a wonder to me. I recently rewatched her Vancouver programs. It was her first big international competition and she finished 8th, a very good result as the third japanese lady. But when I watched the program she seemed so much stiffer and took so long for her jumps it was distracting. That is what basically didn't make her a top contender to me. She worked so much on this, you just have to compare her skating, now it looks, well not like Yuna, but at least effortless and much better. I hope she will deliver two clean programs and won't be held back because the favourites are yet to skate. Is there an official drawing at the Olympics? Which group will she be in, I wonder.

Sai Bon

Final Flight
Country
New-Zealand
Akiko Suzuki

Bear with me people, it's my first post! I'm a Japanese speaker. I didn't hear anything on the YouTube clip about Michelle Kwan. But I didn't watch the whole programme, living outside Japan (sob).

I've always loved Akiko Suzuki, as a person and a figure skater. It's no coincidence there are similarities between Akiko and Daisuke. They are good friends and Daisuke was inspired by her artistic expression.

I'm not a technical skating fan (never skated and can't do maths!). I can kinda see why she is undermarked relative to Mao, YuNa, Julia L, etc., but isn't it phenomenal that at the grand old age (for a competitive skater) of 28 she just keeps improving? What an inspiration to everyone, not just figure skaters.

Akiko once said that she doesn't regret having experienced an eating disorder, that it made her who she is today and it gave her time off skating, which may have contributed to her longevity as an athlete.

I hope she has the skate of her life at Sochi. She truly deserves it.

MidnightSkater

On the Ice
Bear with me people, it's my first post! I'm a Japanese speaker. I didn't hear anything on the YouTube clip about Michelle Kwan. But I didn't watch the whole programme, living outside Japan (sob).

I've always loved Akiko Suzuki, as a person and a figure skater. It's no coincidence there are similarities between Akiko and Daisuke. They are good friends and Daisuke was inspired by her artistic expression.

I'm not a technical skating fan (never skated and can't do maths!). I can kinda see why she is undermarked relative to Mao, YuNa, Julia L, etc., but isn't it phenomenal that at the grand old age (for a competitive skater) of 28 she just keeps improving? What an inspiration to everyone, not just figure skaters.

Akiko once said that she doesn't regret having experienced an eating disorder, that it made her who she is today and it gave her time off skating, which may have contributed to her longevity as an athlete.

Welcome !.
I too hope she skates better than ever in Sochi.
I re-watched her free skate from Skate Canada last night & have to say her transitions have improved so much. The flow is there now.
I do think she was under-marked.
I know there are a lot of Gracie fans & Ashley fans out there but at her best I believe Akiko is a better skater.

seniorita

Record Breaker
Her Sp is my favorite this season, and I m glad with the new Lp costume, it is very beautiful and different for POTO!

Welcome, Sai Bon!

I agree with you about Akiko. I just watched her free skate at Nationals, and I was completely overcome. She was magnificent, both technically and in terms of expression. I hope and pray that she not only has the skate of her life at Sochi but that she makes it onto the podium. More specific than that I can't get because there are other skaters I am also rooting for. In a way, this is the ideal situation: to have so many great skaters to enjoy that one can't envision an ideal podium. There are too many skaters and not enough spots! But Akiko is one of a kind, stupendous, and I'd love for her to leave Sochi with a medal.

By the way, thanks for the information about her friendship with Daisuke. Yes, I do think of them both as similar skaters, really flowing on the ice and able to bring out the best in the music and also in each move and position. Akiko and Dai both seem to give meaning to every moment on the ice.

Ven

Match Penalty
Well after seeing Julia's inflated scores this weekend, I think this is a really good time to bump this thread and remind everyone about Akiko. Her FS is the program of the season for me. I will be pulling for her to make the podium, and hopefully grab silver behind Yuna and ahead of Adelina or Julia. What a moving skater Suzuki-san is, it seems like this really could be her time to shine.

Gigi13

On the Ice
Well after seeing Julia's inflated scores this weekend, I think this is a really good time to bump this thread and remind everyone about Akiko. Her FS is the program of the season for me. I will be pulling for her to make the podium, and hopefully grab silver behind Yuna and ahead of Adelina or Julia. What a moving skater Suzuki-san is, it seems like this really could be her time to shine.

I agree. I would love to see Akiko on the podium, I wish her good luck and I'll be rooting for her! BEST OF LUCK AKIKO!!!! :)

Me too. Akiko just grabs me. My greatest wish for her is to skate her best program ever, so that however she's judged, she and her audience will know that she did something unique and memorable.

miki88

Medalist
Since the Russian girls are now capable of getting PCS not far from the big three, which Akiko has never been able to get internationally, it's safe to say that if they do well, they will place ahead of her in Sochi. The younger skaters have the edge in difficulty, and now it seems on the second mark as well. :(

Ven

Match Penalty
It's ridiculous the PCS they are getting, especially Julia.

Suzuki better than Adelina and waaaaay better than Julia imo.

skateluvr

Record Breaker
Welcome, Sai Bon!

I agree with you about Akiko. I just watched her free skate at Nationals, and I was completely overcome. She was magnificent, both technically and in terms of expression. I hope and pray that she not only has the skate of her life at Sochi but that she makes it onto the podium. More specific than that I can't get because there are other skaters I am also rooting for. In a way, this is the ideal situation: to have so many great skaters to enjoy that one can't envision an ideal podium. There are too many skaters and not enough spots! But Akiko is one of a kind, stupendous, and I'd love for her to leave Sochi with a medal.

By the way, thanks for the information about her friendship with Daisuke. Yes, I do think of them both as similar skaters, really flowing on the ice and able to bring out the best in the music and also in each move and position. Akiko and Dai both seem to give meaning to every moment on the ice.

totally agree with Olympia. I think Akiko on the podium will make many fans, and not just in Japan, very happy. She is the most underrated skater of her generation. I know many of us have our fingers crossed for this girl. Reall, thee Olympics should have a pewter medal. With so many entrants, maybe even 5. 5 for the number of the continents in the Olympics. even with 5, I am sure I would want 6. If Akiko is in the final flight, I will be happy. She has been nothing but a joy for me to watch since I "discovered" her after the last Olympics. If she does not medal, it will not lessen my admiration one iota.

Ven

Match Penalty
I think Akiko on the podium will make many fans, and not just in Japan, very happy. She is the most underrated skater of her generation. I know many of us have our fingers crossed for this girl.

Skateluvr, for once you and I agree on something.

Cheers :thumbsup:

skateluvr

Record Breaker
I'm so happy to hear you say such nice things about a skater not named YuNa! LOL Cheers to you as well.

MidnightSkater

On the Ice
It would be the major highlight of watching figure skating since 1992 to see Akiko win a medal in Sochi.
This girl just makes me happy !.
I love everything she does.
We need to send her positive thoughts when Sochi comes around.
If anyone deserves two great skates at an Olympics it's this girl.