Akiko Suzuki- undermarked, especialy in PCS | Golden Skate

Akiko Suzuki- undermarked, especialy in PCS

pangtongfan

Match Penalty
Is Akiko Suzuki an undermarked skater. I find she is, especialy in PCS. Some aspects of her PCS like interpretation and performance she should score as high or higher than any of her competitors, including Kim and Kostner, when she skates well.

drivingmissdaisy

Record Breaker
I think you are right but the judges tend to mark each athlete's PCS scores close to each other, so to a certain extent there is a ceiling on how high you can score for PE based on how you are marked on the other criteria. Suzuki generally gets strong scores when she skates well; it's when she struggles that she doesn't get the inflated PCS like Carolina does when she makes errors.

yelyoh

Medalist
Country
United-States
ITA. She has the best programs and is the most expressive skater so I do think she is underscored.

hippomoomin

Record Breaker
No doubt she is underscored in PCS. She is the master of expressiveness, like a female equivalent of Takahashi.
Her interpretation>Mao>Yuna>Caro. The only area that holds her back is her lack of flexibility which limited her spin positions. But Caro and Yuna aren't much flexible either.

pangtongfan

Match Penalty
I think you are right but the judges tend to mark each athlete's PCS scores close to each other, so to a certain extent there is a ceiling on how high you can score for PE based on how you are marked on the other criteria. Suzuki generally gets strong scores when she skates well; it's when she struggles that she doesn't get the inflated PCS like Carolina does when she makes errors.

True and since her skating skills are not as great as Kim, Kostner, or maybe even Mao, that probably puts a ceiling on the rest of her PCS based on PCS score teaching (which I think is badly flawed and almost negates the purpose of having 5 seperate categories). Her relative inconsistency doesnt help her PCS which is mostly a status and pecking order now anyway. The funny thing is when she first became a contender in 2009-2010 she was one of the most consistent skaters out there, maybe the most consistent after Kim and maybe Flatt, but with increased opportunities and pressure her consistency has dropped off substantialy.

CanadianSkaterGuy

Record Breaker
She's underrated, but I find she is one of the only top skaters that when she does poorly her PCS takes a considerable hit, and when she does well her PCS is high and what she deserves. I wish her scoring was applied to all athletes, but as it stands now (she takes a much greater PCS hit when she makes errors than other skaters) she is indeed undermarked.

Performance she is on par with Kim and Kostner at her best, however, Kim's and Kostner's level of interpretation is better.

minze

Medalist
Agree. My dear Akiko is underrated, I think a lot has to do with her not been the top skater of her country. Wrong on the part of the judges.

MidnightSkater

On the Ice
This is my first post as I just joined this forum but I just had to agree with many of you.
Akiko is such a beautiful skater. I really think she does get punished more than other top skaters when she makes errors.
At the Worlds this year both Gold & Wagner made errors but still got great marks while Akiko was dumped. She never get's the benefit of the doubt.
She is the first skater since Kwan (For me) that holds my attention every time she skates, even when there are errors.
Some of the American girls get higher marks with errors than others. Also, a few of the Russian girls.
Akiko skates from the heart. Love her.

MoonlightSkater

On the Ice
This is my first post as I just joined this forum but I just had to agree with many of you.
Akiko is such a beautiful skater. I really think she does get punished more than other top skaters when she makes errors.
At the Worlds this year both Gold & Wagner made errors but still got great marks while Akiko was dumped. She never get's the benefit of the doubt.
She is the first skater since Kwan (For me) that holds my attention every time she skates, even when there are errors.
Some of the American girls get higher marks with errors than others. Also, a few of the Russian girls.
Akiko skates from the heart. Love her.

Welcome, MidnightSkater. I see we share similar skating proclivities.

I often wonder if there is something about Akiko's skating that I just can't see unless I'm in person. That's the only thing that would explain some of the lower marks she's gotten at times.

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
Welcome, MidnightSkater. I see we share similar skating proclivities.

I often wonder if there is something about Akiko's skating that I just can't see unless I'm in person. That's the only thing that would explain some of the lower marks she's gotten at times.

Hey MoonlightSkater! :)

Anyway, yeah I wonder the same thing. I remember some people who were at Skate Canada last year commented that compared to Kaetlyn, she was quite a bit slower and her ice coverage was not great.

Regardless, I love her skating and will miss her when she retires!

MidnightSkater

On the Ice
Thank you for the welcome !.
I have seen her skate in person (Skate Canada 2011-FS). She was amazing. But I think sometimes the transitions are not as good. The flow could be better (still love her !).
It's such a pity she had personal problems early in her career, we have only really enjoyed her for three or four seasons at her best.
I remember the first time I saw her at the NHK Trophy 2008 & I really liked her then. She has such a lovely personality. A breath of fresh air.

Gigi13

On the Ice
I agree with this post, Akiko is underrated and personally am a big fan of Akiko because she touches me when she skates and she puts a lot of joy into her skating similar to Michelle Kwan for me. I cry every time I see her skate and I don't cry that easily but man her skating is so beautiful and I hate whenever I see Akiko's scores and to my untrained eyes she's definitely undermarked/underscored, however I will always remember Akiko's joy and I will always love her skating even after retires, ugh I will miss her so much after she retires. :(

Country
Russia
:love:
The joy and warmth she projects in this performance are wonderful to behold.

This was a fantastic program with 7 clean triples and still her PCS was (slightly) higher than her TES! Is this a first?
It is a miracle!
I can't believe!
She has high GOE as Mao and PCS higher than Mao!

Congratulations for Akiko! I alvays believed than she is better than Mao when skates clean.

MidnightSkater

On the Ice
Maybe not qualifying for the GPF helped her. She has had much more time than Mao to get ready.
Fantastic skate. I really want to see her get a medal in Sochi.